It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

David Cameron will fly St. George's flag above Downing St.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 07:07 AM
link   

DAVID Cameron will fly the St George’s Cross, England’s symbol, above 10 Downing Street during the World Cup. For the first time, the red and white flag will be raised for the entire ­tournament. It has flown during World Cups before, when Tony Blair was in power, but only on England match days. Mr Cameron said at the end of Prime Minister’s Questions yesterday: “There was some question that this was going to have a cost impact but I’ve managed to cut through that and I can say that at no additional cost to the taxpayer the flag of St George will fly above Downing Street during the World Cup.”

Visit link for full article

Here is a video and link to a video of Cameron confirming this in parliament.

news.bbc.co.uk...

[edit on 10/6/10 by blupblup]

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 07:11 AM
link   
I think "Dave" will get a lot of stick for this but I think he's right to do it.
If Scotland or Wales were in the tournament, then their flags would most certainly be flown above their respective parliament buildings.

Already on radio 2's Jeremy Vine show, people have called in expressing displeasure, saying it's divisive and not good for Great Britain.... I think that's rubbish.

It's about time we actually took a leaf of of the Scots and Welsh books and supported our country and displayed our flags.
I'm not remotely nationalistic but I find it very annoying that people have an issue about showing flags during sporting events.

If the other British nations do it then it's great and tradition and acceptable... somehow if England flies its flag, then It's divisive and offensive.

I really appreciate David Cameron doing this and I'm glad he's sticking up for what he believes in.

Your thoughts?

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 09:00 AM
link   
Dont like the guy but good for him for making a statment again the PC police. Those complaining better get used to it

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 09:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by SearchLightsInc
Dont like the guy but good for him for making a statment again the PC police. Those complaining better get used to it

I could not give a toss.

I could go on, but.....

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 09:14 AM
link   
It will be interesting to see what the fallout is... just for giggles...

I think it is the right move, and would be equally supportive if the PM did this for the other nations on these Isles..

In all honesty as he is the PM of the UK then all the flags should fly 24/7 alongside the Union flag at 10 downing street..

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 09:19 AM
link   
At this point the Brits better be lucky it isnt a crescent and star above 10 Downing with all of their soft headed suicidal policies towards destructive alien cultures in their midst. The only thing that will save the British is a true Nationalist movement, anything less and the country has a matter of years at best.

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 09:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by shai hulud
At this point the Brits better be lucky it isnt a crescent and star above 10 Downing with all of their soft headed suicidal policies towards destructive alien cultures in their midst. The only thing that will save the British is a true Nationalist movement, anything less and the country has a matter of years at best.

Sorry, I really don't beleive we have only years left at best..
but thanks for the concern

[edit on 10/6/10 by thoughtsfull]

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 09:47 AM
link   
As much as I appreciate Cameron's statement that The St. George's Cross will fly above Downing Street during The World Cup I just wonder why it can't fly there all the time?

I have no problem with the flags all of the Home Nations flying along side The Union Flag.

I love seeing the outpouring of national pride during times like this, I just wonder why people can't be proud of their country, and display their pride, 365 days a year.

For me, being English and proud is just a state of being and supporting my nations football team, as much as I enjoy doing so, is just one manifestation of my national pride. For far too many supporting England Football team is the ONLY expression of national pride.

Edit; my grammar was appaling!

[edit on 10/6/10 by Freeborn]

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 09:51 AM
link   
reply to post by thoughtsfull

If they keep going with the same policies as Europe concerning aliens, the king and queen will be wearing a burka in less than a few decades.

'Follow the Islamic way to save the world,' Prince Charles 6/10/10

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 09:58 AM
link   
reply to post by shai hulud

Charlie can do what he wants....he's irrelevant to modern Britain.

The crescent and star will never fly above Downing Street or any other government building.

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 10:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by shai hulud

If they keep going with the same policies as Europe concerning aliens, the king and queen will be wearing a burka in less than a few decades.

'Follow the Islamic way to save the world,' Prince Charles 6/10/10

On the ground feeling are to the contray.. in my home town we have more synagogue than mosques and any one of the synagogues has more space than those mosques combined. Infact by the last census there are more Jedi's than Muslims here
perhaps we will be overtaken by the dark side

But there would honestly need to be a real shift in demographics to attain the outcome your predicting or for a crescent and star to fly over downing street.. Simply not going to happen...

Tho I am not sure what Charles will wear while talking to his flowers

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 10:37 AM
link   
I agree that we should fly the Union Jack and all other flags all the time at parliament... I don't see why not.

I always find it odd that Scotland and Wales, with their own parliament, can fly their own flags and be as nationalistic as they like, and "we" consider it to be great and noble and a show of patriotism and pride..... and yet when we, the English parliament (I know it's UK parliament) do it... everyone is up in arms saying why don't we fly all the flags of the other British countries?

I find it very odd and It's something that needs to be addressed and debated by our leaders.... this needs sorting out I think.

I'd be happy for all of GB's flags to flying over parliament.... but I would then say that the act would have to a Britain-wide thing.... I think the George Cross should fly in Scotland as should the Red Dragon, alongside the Saltire.

And the same everywhere...

It seems It's only when the English fly their flag, that it becomes an issue.

And that is clearly wrong.

Also this thread and discussion has NOTHING to do with Muslims whatsoever.. so lets stick to the topic, thanks.

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by blupblup

I have to agree with your take on it, and the only way around not flying the St George cross at the other places is if we have an English Parliment
then we could fly national flags over national buildings/councils and all the flags over joint buildings at home and abroad.

It is an issue that needs to be resolved.. tho i am sure there are many who will shirk away from that and bury their heads in the sand claiming it wrong to feel this way, or being divisive, which it is not..

Edit to add: sorry I got side tracked off topic.

[edit on 10/6/10 by thoughtsfull]

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 10:52 AM
link   

I would LOVE to just have an English parliament and really think in this day and age, with devolution all but sewn up.... we need it.
We are the only country who actually doesn't have It's own parliament now? And how does that make sense?

I know we still make the decisions and sort out funding and other things, but I really feel we need to be our own country.
We can still be Great Britain and the British Isles.... perhaps not the "united Kingdom" maybe just... the kingdom

I think it's just so out of date now.... I love everyone from every country and have no issues with Scots or Welsh or Northern Irish, everyone is cool.
But this whole argument just causes more hassle than It's worth and causes division and resentmenmt.... It's something that constantly rears its head every time a flag is displayed or some other gesture or expression of patriotism is shown by an English person.

And it's just tiresome now.

I say let everyone go their own way, but We'll still keep in touch right? We'll still call each other...

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 11:05 AM
link   

I am kinda glad DC is flying the George.
Nice to be a part of something and all that.
But another part of me couldn't care if he flew his underpants.
I would hope he has more important things to do and he is a politician after all! (this would mean he is a person of dubious loyalties) politician=liar!
Not that i am saying his loyalty to England is insincere.Know what i mean?
On that side issue, i think the House of Commons should become the English Parliament and the House of Lords should become the UK parliament.

Oh and COME ON ENGLAND! COME ON ENGLAND!

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 11:10 AM
link   
I live in the USA and have English blood. Regardless of how the USA fairs against England this Saturday, I will be able to wave St. George's cross and wear and England kit anywhere in the USA without having to worry about being a victim of violence or even criticism.

If English Americans can support England in the USA, why can't English people in England?

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Exactly, why should'nt " dave " fly the flag !!

Common sense at last prevails, and its been a LONG time coming...

Plus, how could anyone complain, its the world cup, the greatest football event on the planet....we should all be flying the flag

Suppose I should give you one

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 11:27 AM
link   

I have to agree with Cosmic4Life, House of Lordy pants makes a great UK (or The Kingdom, which is really cool) Parliment and we'll keep the House of commons for us English... unless the others want to go their own way, which is fine with me aswell..

It's going to happen sooner or later.. why not now.. but only flying the St George cross when it is convenient is rather poor

I'm not a flag type person, I mean Sussex has been around since the late 4th century and we only got our first flag in 2007 and that was after a competition in Brighton..

But the St George cross is still something important to me, it represents England, and I still have a considerable amount of pride in that.. and I hate to see it cause so many issues..

I does bewidler me when I hear some stories, tho I am lucky in where I am, in that flying any type of flag is not deemed offensive (but there again burning effigies of the Pope around here is not deemed offensive)

CX

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Good to hear.

However i'm sure they'll take it down as soon as someone is offended.

CX.

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Scotland qualified for the World Cup in 1974 & 1978, when England didn't. The Saint Andrew's Cross was not flown over 10 Downing Street during those tournaments.

So now soccer roles are reversed, why now ? Simple.

Because Cameron's playing "the English game", his electoral support in Scotland is negligible, so he can discount that nation altogether. And that's a dangerous game to play by a British, Conservative Prime Minister ... it might come back to bite him on le derrière sometime soon.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join