It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2 words: Predator Drones. Obama jokes about death.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Atleast RT does real journalism.

The video states that around 1000+ people have died due to these drones. Hundreds of them are innocents.

I do agree with RT; this is just making terrorists - not eliminating them. Look at the comments on youtube here: www.youtube.com...

They are going to start having to use drones in America, we are getting fed up with letting the CIA and military commit mass murder.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Those youtube comments are pretty intense and they say a lot. I think it's ridiculous that he jokes about this. It's offensive and it's insensitive. It's also senseless. I mean the joke doesn't even make sense. I don't know the music of the Jonas Brothers, but they are obviously pretty big musicians and so I think this is also pretty offensive to all musicians. And why would they even be interested in a pair of prepubescent girls in the first place? He's insinuating the brothers are pedophiles as well as mocking death.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 12:29 PM
link   
yeah that was in bad taste.

look how stern he is when he says you think im joking

as if lives dont matter to him

CX

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Whilst i can see it could cause offence to some, and you could call it either bad timing or bad taste due to the recent PD use abroad, i don't think he was being serious at all.

That's just a dad cracking a joke IMO. I've done it with my girls many a time...jokingly of course, they've come home saying that a boy at school fancies them and i've said, "Don't forget to remind him your dad used to shoot people in the army".

Doesn't mean i'm going to shoot her highschool sweetheart, it was just a joke from a father that loves his daughter very much. She knows that too.

It does not mean i mean disrespect to people killed by soldiers either.

Whilst i am sure it would improve the quality of our television, i think people can relax in the knowledge that Obama will never use drones against the Jonas Brothers!

I can appreciate that Obama's approval rating is way lower than mine at the moment, so people will jump on him for the slightest thing right now.

I could take offence to many jokes said on ATS, everyone could turn a joke around and say it caused offence to at least one member here.

To those saying how serious he looked when he was saying this, i just think Obama has the great gift of dry humour at times.

CX.

PS: I repeat....the Jo Bro's will be fine!!!

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Lets look at the context of the joke. OBama is talking about his daughters being fans of the Jonas Brothers; a boy band that Disney has saturated teen advertising with. The concept of the over protective father is ingrained in our society and regularly the source of humorous anecdotes on television and film.

President OBama was making a humorous remark to an audience about his parental obligation to protect his daughters. As President he is in a unique position to protect his daughter's from Disney's Jonas Brother sex appeal machine.

I fully plan on threatening the life and limb of any teenage boy that sets his designs on my daughters. I know far to well that there are teenage boys today that have the same mentality I had when I was a teenager and I will take whatever steps needed to protect my daughter from them.

I ask any father on this site if he would do any different to protect his children from nefarious hormone crazed teenage boys? Would you not threaten and intimidate with whatever means needed to preserve your daughter's innocence? I certainly would and I cannot find fault with President OBama for making a humorous remark about his ability to protect his daughters.

My plan for greeting my daughters dates is designed to be maximumly effective and extremely threatening to her dates. I will have my study filled with large game heads; lions, tigers, bears, crocodiles, rhinos, etc. I will have one empty wooden plaque right above my desk chair with a sign that says "reserved" on it. When the young man meets me it will be in my study. I will then point out to him that I killed every animal on the walls and have that plaque reserved for the boy that touches my daughter.

By the way I am not a supporter of OBama. I also do not support political correctness run rampant. If we had always been politically correct we would still be drinking warm beer, eating beans for breakfast, and would most likely have an accent far closer to British people's.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by dragonsmusic

I think that there is a bit too much over reaction to this type of thing. We will soon reach a stage where no public figure can ever speak like a normal person - when everything they say is so carefully politically correct that it is robotic and superficial.

I think that some people just need to get a life and stop all this self righteous dribbling and shock!

Regards

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by paraphi
reply to post by dragonsmusic

I think that there is a bit too much over reaction to this type of thing. We will soon reach a stage where no public figure can ever speak like a normal person - when everything they say is so carefully politically correct that it is robotic and superficial.

I think that some people just need to get a life and stop all this self righteous dribbling and shock!

Regards

He's hardly speaking like a normal person. And this has nothing at all to do with being politically correct. WTF?

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 02:38 PM
link   
carefully correct? I really dont see the joke here the us booms country's were ARENOT even at war with and worse doesnt even risk there own neck but uses a romot plane boom to do it with?
o yea that a riet he should be in barinmanbaly with the rest of the clowns you think hes so funny

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Wow - just, wow!

I in no way support Obama at all nor do I like him. I could go on and on about what he has and is doing wrong, but there is a different forum for that if I wish to rant about him.

That being said - as a father of three girls aged 21, 19 and 8, and being a fairly menacing 6'6" and a pretty good build, I have before and will again use my size to intimidate my daughters' boyfriends. I have often (mostly jokingly) said that if they mistreat or disrespect my daughter, they have a choice of a severe beating and a visit to the hospital or of pi$$ing themselves publicly. It's a father-daughter thing.

I can't believe I'm actually going to defend Obama, but it was clearly a joke. Regardless of how much we may dislike him and his policies, this comment was a joke and like someone before me said, if the president can't make an obvious joke like this then we've taken PC speech way too far.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 02:53 PM
link   
reply to post by xxcalbier

What the hell are you talking about?

Seriously, Obama sucks and America does some terrible things, but his comment was just a joke. Lighten up a bit, my friend. Have a beer or some smoke or whatever else it is that chills you out. I am fairly confident that the Jonas Brothers will be quite safe from predator drones.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by dragonsmusic
He's hardly speaking like a normal person. And this has nothing at all to do with being politically correct. WTF?

I think he is trying to have a joke. Whether you think it was moderately amusing, hilarious or plain pointless is not the point and not really for you to judge, but going overboard because he mades a quip is silly.

Exactly who did he offend? It is "made up" offence. Should we expect him (or other public figures) never to attempt to joke or make light of cars. We know that cars kill lots of people. How about joking about "nuts" just in case someone who is allegic takes offence.

Regards

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Interesting video.

I thought the no. of civilian deaths were 700, not 900-1400, but I suppose that was an older estimate.

Obama wants to expand the war into Pakistan, and this is being done by creating more terrorists to attack the US & their allies.

I remember google removing pictures of his wife as a monkey because they were offensive. Perhaps his ego could deflate for one day, but who knows.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 05:16 PM
link   
Making it into a father daughter thing is silly. I'm tired of restating my points. It's not about father daughter. The Jonas Bros were never interested in the prepubescent Obama girls in the first place and so it's a stupid comment as well as a bad joke AND is in bad taste because he is charge of using those drones. The car analogy the poster made above is a ludicrous comparison. Ciao.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 01:30 AM
link   
1400 people. Its nearly half of the deaths that occurred on 9/11 now.

Mess with my daughters, and I'm going to hijack a plane and fly it into your house.

Its. Just. Plain. Offensive.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 01:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dilligaf28
My plan for greeting my daughters dates is designed to be maximumly effective and extremely threatening to her dates. I will have my study filled with large game heads; lions, tigers, bears, crocodiles, rhinos, etc. I will have one empty wooden plaque right above my desk chair with a sign that says "reserved" on it. When the young man meets me it will be in my study. I will then point out to him that I killed every animal on the walls and have that plaque reserved for the boy that touches my daughter.

When I met my ex'es dad for the first time, he walked into the room holding an AR 15, points it directly at me, initiates laser, and then states... "Don't mind me, I'm just lining up the sites on my gun in case a boy ever touches my daughter."

Lets just say his threat didn't work out very well.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 01:34 AM
link   
reply to post by The_Zomar

That's not journalism. That's taking a joke made by the president and turning it into a political statement.

Why can't a joke be a joke? No one says that comedians are sexists and racists when they make racial or sex jokes, they laugh. Ok, well some people say that, but no one makes a story out of a comedian doing a black joke and then linking it to slavery and how much the black people have suffered.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 01:42 AM
link   
Because it's not a joke? It's a highly disturbing, ridiculously out-of-context remark that made sense to no one.

Hundreds and thousands of people are slaughtered with these drones, including women, children and babies. You know, # you if you think it's not offensive. It's disgusting, and you should be ashamed of yourselves for saying "it's just a joke".

Even most media outlets, including ones that marginally support Obama, gave a big "wtf" and wondered what exactly he was saying.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 02:08 AM
link   
Oh my god! I thought he was joking, how disgusting. There are plenty of comedians making statements of wishing others ill-harm, but they are just trying to get a laugh. Obama wants to kill everyone with predator drones!

"Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice... we won't get fooled again." - George W. Bush

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 03:14 AM
link   
reply to post by captainbitter

Yes, exactly. They are comedians. Obama on the other hand, is actually killing children with predator drones. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure he "pulled the trigger" so to speak, on his first few days in office.

That has to be a record for how many days it took a new president to blow people up and spill blood. In Pakistan no less, a country we aren't even at war with.

[edit on 9-6-2010 by SyphonX]

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 12:02 PM
link   
OK, perhaps I am failing to understand why everyone has their panties in a wad. If all you are saying is that Obama's joke was tasteless and perhaps offensive to people with exceedingly thin skin, then I guess I'll agree with you and just bow out of this thread. But if you seem to think that the Jonas Brothers are in actual danger or that Obama seriously thinks that they have some perverted interest in his daughters...well, actually I'll still bow out of this thread because this is such a non issue in reality. Ronald Reagan once joked that he had outlawed the Soviet Union and that the bombs were flying. Tasteless and offensive, perhaps, but a real threat instead of an ill advised joke, no.

new topics

top topics

join