It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Liu Qian - Arm through glass table - Better than Criss Angel? [VIDEO]

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 05:36 PM
link   
So, I received an email from my Mum saying "try to explain this"...she linked me to a video of a Japanese magician and told me to watch it right through to the end...having seen most of Criss Angels work, it wasn't anything amazing...UNTIL he stuck his whole freakin' arm through a glass desk whilst surrounded by people, and letting them touch his hand at the same time...he has taken it even a step further than Criss Angel I think...Criss has done things like this, but never so open and in your face...

Here's a couple of pictures for those of you with low bandwidth:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/0c73b8e8d185.jpg[/atsimg]
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/c206f5c230fe.jpg[/atsimg]

And the absolutely amazing video (good stuff at about 5:20):

[edit on 7/6/10 by CHA0S]

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Well for one, EVERYBODY is better than Kris Angel!!!

That annoying lisping wanna-be rockstar makes me want to vomit or slap him.... maybe both! Nothing like a good old "Slap N Puke!"

That being said, the solution for this (and a LOT of other magic tricks such as the balducci levetation) is easy to find online. Gotta love the magic of google!

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Edit as it seems I magically double-posted!

[edit on 6/7/2010 by YourPopRock]

CX

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 05:42 PM
link   
That was cool.

The only thing that makes me wonder is the factthat he has to hide the hand going through the glass with his other hand as it "enters".

He does this when he pulls it out too. If it was that genuine, why not let us see everything?

Cool trick though.

CX.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Hadnt heard of Chris Angel before . But saw Liu Qian perform live quite amazing the things he does.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 05:45 PM
link   
reply to post by YourPopRock

That being said, the solution for this (and a LOT of other magic tricks such as the balducci levetation) is easy to find online.
I would LOVE to know how that trick is done...so please enlighten us all...if you think it's as simple as a Google search...you're sadly mistaken...why do you think there are pretty much only a select few magicians capable of pulling off really crazy illusions like this...magicians don't make it easy to find out how they do their tricks, or they'd be out of business pretty quick wouldn't they...

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 05:48 PM
link   
It was a good trick, but unfortunately a few hiccups reveal a lot of how it works. The main mistake was between 6:15 and 6:23 where you can see the hand of the man who is sitting behind him move the glass of the table round quickly. At that time you can see where the movement of the glass slightly moves his hand and and the shadow of the hole pass under the hand too. Still, was a good illusion, but they should have maybe watched it over a bit more closely to iron out the hiccups

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Right before he sticks his hand true the table, he shifts/pushes the round glass plate towards the hand that is about to go true, thereby shifting the hole towards his hand. Nice trick.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by CHA0S
So, I received an email from my Mum saying "try to explain this"...she linked me to a video of a Japanese magician and told me to watch it right through to the end...

LOL I can't believe your mom is that cool and open minded.

Suddenly I am in the mood for chinese food!!!

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 06:01 PM
link   

That being said, the solution for this (and a LOT of other magic tricks such as the balducci levetation) is easy to find online.
I would LOVE to know how that trick is done...so please enlighten us all...if you think it's as simple as a Google search...you're sadly mistaken...why do you think there are pretty much only a select few magicians capable of pulling off really crazy illusions like this...magicians don't make it easy to find out how they do their tricks, or they'd be out of business pretty quick wouldn't they...

It IS as simple as a Google search, and I'm not sadly anything! The reason we watch them is because they are talented performers, we are not stupid enough to believe the tricks are real! The secrets are easy to find...

Results from a "Simple Google search":

www.goodtricks.net...
hubpages.com...
www.xploremagic.com...

And that is just from the FIRST PAGE of results!

Ahhhh... the "magic" of the internet!

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 06:01 PM
link   

It IS as simple as a Google search, and I'm not sadly anything! The reason we watch them is because they are talented performers, we are not stupid enough to believe the tricks are real! The secrets are easy to find...

www.goodtricks.net...
hubpages.com...
www.xploremagic.com...

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 06:05 PM
link   
reply to post by 2Faced

Right before he sticks his hand true the table, he shifts/pushes the round glass plate towards the hand that is about to go true, thereby shifting the hole towards his hand. Nice trick.
That could be a possible explanation, and he does appear to shift the glass when he first sticks his hand through...but upon close inspection, the glass doesn't appear to shift at all whilst he's pulling his hand out...we have a clear view the whole time, and a hole would be seen as the glass shifted...and I can't see how he could keep a hole in the glass out of view from everyone...the other thing to note, is that people have cups of tea and other things sitting on the table, which you can see in the first picture...so unless everyone at the table was in on it, I don't think that's the explanation...or at least not the whole explanation...

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 06:05 PM
link   
I see how it's done! Notice how his left hand stays on the same part of the table the entire time, then when he gets ready to stick his arm through, he just slides the glass over, keeping his hand on the same spot of glass and then sticks his arm through that hole. This one was plainly obvious.

--airspoon

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 06:10 PM
link   

www.goodtricks.net...
hubpages.com...
www.xploremagic.com...

...are you serious...you call those pathetically lame tricks an illusion...they're nothing in comparison to tricks by people like this guy and Criss Angel...you've shown us nothing...next...

EDIT: And can you work out that double posting problem please.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 06:24 PM
link   

reply to post by 2Faced

That could be a possible explanation, and he does appear to shift the glass when he first sticks his hand through...but upon close inspection, the glass doesn't appear to shift at all whilst he's pulling his hand out...we have a clear view the whole time, and a hole would be seen as the glass shifted...and I can't see how he could keep a hole in the glass out of view from everyone...the other thing to note, is that people have cups of tea and other things sitting on the table, which you can see in the first picture...so unless everyone at the table was in on it, I don't think that's the explanation...or at least not the whole explanation...

The " trick" plate could be sandwiched between the plexiglass, so that everything on that table could stay there. Just guessing here, obviously I am not a magician. I can only make money dissapear, but unfortunately I can not make it re-appear. And my old lady seems to have a hole in her hand were the money falls true, yet I have never seen it fall on the floor.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 06:30 PM
link   
At 6:19 you can see the shadow of the glass moving under his forarm. Good trick though. I would pay to see him.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 06:32 PM
link   

The " trick" plate could be sandwiched between the plexiglass
If that were the case, he wouldn't be sliding his hand along the top to shift the middle layer into place, creating a hole through which he could stick his hand. I had another look at it, and every object stays perfectly still whilst he moves his hand...a middle layer could potentially explain it, though it doesn't really fit in what what we're seeing...you'd also need permanent holes in the outer layers, which would create visible rings unless extremely thin...correct me if I'm misunderstanding you're theory...

At 6:19 you can see the shadow of the glass moving under his forarm.
I seriously can't see this shadow people are talking about...does glass leave a shadow? Maybe someone can post a screen shot of what you're talking about...

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 06:36 PM
link   

The " trick" plate could be sandwiched between the plexiglass
If that were the case, he wouldn't be sliding his hand along the top the shift the middle layer into place, creating a hole through which he could stick his hand. I had another look at it, and every object stays perfectly still whilst he moves his hand...a middle layer could potentially explain it, though it doesn't really fit in what what we're seeing...you'd also need permanent holes in the outer layers, which would create visible rings unless extremely thin...correct me if I'm misunderstanding you're theory...

I was only referring to the part where the magician sits, and that he slides a plate that is sandwiched between layers to the left of him. Sorry for being unclear on that..

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 06:44 PM
link   
reply to post by 2Faced

ok, no problem...though I'm not quite sure I understand how you think he shifts the plate you think is sandwiched between the outer layers...

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 06:54 PM
link   

reply to post by 2Faced

ok, no problem...though I'm not quite sure I understand how you think he shifts the plate you think is sandwiched between the outer layers...

Because he rests his hand on an extension of the part that is sandwiched between (or under) a layer to the left of him. I also think it is spring loaded (for the return).

going to sleep, nite y'all

top topics

<<   2 >>

join