It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Books of the Bible chosen, some left out?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2004 @ 01:16 PM
link   
I was watching the discovery channel the other night. I love the shows they have on about the Bible. Anyway, it was talking about how they canonized certain books of the Bible. Admitting what they deemed "worthy" of the Bible. Omitted, for example, was a book by Peter who taught that after the Millenium all "saved souls" beg God to allow those who were cast out of heaven to be able to return and for God to forgive them for their sins, and He did.

Did anyone else see this segment. I've been searching online for information about this but I haven't been able to find any. Please let me know if there are any links out there that can back this up or debunk it. It would be quite interesting I think.

This kinda explains what I'm talking about.
The Bible - Why some books were left out.

[edit on 10-6-2004 by kaoscreator]

posted on Jun, 10 2004 @ 01:31 PM
link   
The Old testament is based on the traditional Hebrew sacred texts and the new testament was canonized in 382BC. Yes there were books omitted.

Jerome and Augustine are credited with circulating some the first lists of books that would come to be considered the New Testament. Several books were omitted from the Old Testament and are included in the Apocrypha. The decisions as to which would stay and which would go were based largely on value to church teachings and the assumed validity of the works. It became necessary to omit certain books for doctrinal issues within the early church, so in that regard you could say there was a conspiracy to shape the beliefs of Christians.
You can find out for yourself here: Sacred Texts

This link includes texts of the books that were "left out" of the Bible. You'll find some interesting readings. I recommend the Book of Enoch, where Enoch has several conversations with God and there are races of giants on the earth. I would also suggest reading some of the Gospels that give insight in to Jesus as a child and a young man, something the Bible is silent on.

posted on Jun, 10 2004 @ 01:40 PM
link   
What you guys really need to read is a book called Lamb by Christopher Moore. It is the lost book from the Prophet Levi who is called Biff. It chronicles Jesus or Joshua's life from around age 7 until adulthood. Fills in a lot of gaps left in the bible which only chronicles his life starting at 30.

mrq

posted on Jun, 10 2004 @ 03:15 PM
link   
That book (Lamb) is really very good, and extremely funny. Lots about Mary Magdalene, too.

top topics

join