It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

As the Sun Awakens, NASA Keeps a Wary Eye on Space Weather

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+16 more 
posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 01:46 AM
link   

As the Sun Awakens, NASA Keeps a Wary Eye on Space Weather

science.nasa.gov

Earth and space are about to come into contact in a way that's new to human history. To make preparations, authorities in Washington DC are holding a meeting: The Space Weather Enterprise Forum at the National Press Club on June 8th.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 01:46 AM
link   
So we are entering a time when technology and solar storms could cause some serious problems, and the article mentions that the economic impact could be much worse than Katrina if grids go down, satelites, ect., during these solar storms. Personally I have been watching the sun's activity for 3 years now, not professionally, just out of interest and I noted that (who could miss it really) there has been intense increased activity this year, also many think it is related to earthquakes and volcanic activity. As the sun 'wakes up' I think we will see much more of it. Nasa and NOAA will be the think tanks on this topic and will be trying to find ways to help stave off problems during intense storms, I am glad to see this.

But I wonder what exactly prompted NASA to open itself up to acknowledging that which many of us on ATS have been saying for a while now, that the sun is gettin a little crazy?!

science.nasa.gov
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 01:53 AM
link   
A fellow radio ham has set up the following website which is a good resource of the latest live data on the sun, which may be of interest:

www.solarcycle24.com...

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 01:55 AM
link   
reply to post by AgentSmith

Thanks for the link, that is a well organized 'sun spot', sorry I couldn't resist! They have done a great job of organizing info on the sun that is current.

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 01:57 AM
link   
Yes I was rather impressed with it when I found it! It seems to combine the data from several information sources neatly on one page which is really handy. Much easier than skipping between SOHO, spaceweather, etc.

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 02:22 AM
link   
Just seeing another thread on ATS about the sun, it is about the large coronal hole that is visible on the sun today, and the inevitable solar winds we will experience from it.

I suppose that nasa and noaa expect them to become even more intense than what is going on today with the sun:

Check out GrantBreed's thread here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 02:25 AM
link   
Hi space cadet. Indeed we are much more vulnerable than we used to be regarding Solar Storms etc.

The future will be interesting indeed. One thing we have in our favour is lots of amazing technology up there to monitor the Sun that we never had before.

This could help us reposition satellites etc to avoid a big solar wind.

Only time shall tell.

ps - very interesting article by the way - good find!!!

g

[edit on 5-6-2010 by grantbeed]

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 03:08 AM
link   
reply to post by space cadet

The question, what made nasa open up.....

This gets me thinking: maybe because even though they have a sort of blackout on potentially catastrophic news, like what this situation is, or could be; If they hold off for too long and the situation proves to really be very bad, ie, causing lot's of losses to economy, or whatever, then the political fallout could be even more devastating to them and the current PTB... It's prudent then that they better start talking now while they still have time...??
At least a possibility IMO

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 12:56 PM
link   

"Earth and space are about to come into contact in a way that's new to human history."

We are in a solar minimum, right? We have seen higher solar activity than what we are currently experiencing. so what is so different now that is going to make history?

Hmm could they be referring to disclosure? Earth and Space.. contact. new to human history. "They are meeting to make preparations" they say? Very good.

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by nltkn

"Earth and space are about to come into contact in a way that's new to human history."

We are in a solar minimum, right? We have seen higher solar activity than what we are currently experiencing. so what is so different now that is going to make history?

Hmm could they be referring to disclosure? Earth and Space.. contact. new to human history. "They are meeting to make preparations" they say? Very good.

I think they meant this:

"The sun is waking up from a deep slumber, and in the next few years we expect to see much higher levels of solar activity. At the same time, our technological society has developed an unprecedented sensitivity to solar storms. The intersection of these two issues is what we're getting together to discuss."

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 02:08 PM
link   
This is scary stuff... Our whole life revolves around technology, and this could wipe it all out.

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by monkeySEEmonkeyDO
This is scary stuff... Our whole life revolves around technology, and this could wipe it all out.

Maybe that would be for the better? Might put people back in touch with nature and communicating the old way, the more personal way. But I have to say I do love technology and would greatly miss it. If it wipes out my neighbors annoying ass car alarm I'm all for it!!!

[edit on 5-6-2010 by jaynkeel]

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Sorry, moved to other thread.

[edit on 5-6-2010 by Skellon]

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Very interesting Star and Flag, what I found most interesting is this portion of the article

A century-class solar storm, the Academy warned, could cause twenty times more economic damage than Hurricane Katrina.

Though something in the back of my mind is telling me that more damage could be caused due to this I bet. Wonder what kind of Aurora borealis we would see though from this and how far done [From Canada down] it would be visible.

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 03:17 PM
link   
This is interesting news and will definitely have a major impact on us. Does anyone have any information on how recent activity has/will affect climate?

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 03:34 PM
link   
So lemme get this straight, in order to defend our….grid from disruption.
If we see a flare coming we will have to shut down the grid for a period of time?
It’s cool I can lose my connection to the world for a few days in order to keep the satellites safe…
Now for my geek moment, has anyone ever watched Star Trek, Stargate Etc.?
They would go to see solar events happening in a far away galaxies.
Maybe some foreigners will come to watch ours have a fit!
Exciting!

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Dont forget if there a verry big flares and solar winds, the increase in earthquakes and volcano's will happen duo the gravitational pull of the sun.

Need to watch out for those 3 things.

[edit on 5-6-2010 by Oxize]

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 04:16 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 04:23 PM
link   
God told us it would be bad so get ready. I'm sure the sun will be a major player in these end time events that all the ancients seen. Another star entering our solar system would effect us big time and its coming as a brown dwarf. WORMWOOD!!!

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 04:24 PM
link   

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join