It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Disturbing Job Ads: 'The Unemployed Will Not Be Considered'

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 11:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Arrowmancer

Arrowmancer,

That B.S. is soooo easy to see thru, it would only fool an idiot and usually idiots are put in charge of hiring for crappy jobs. Hence if you're trying to get a crappy job try using the lame "self employed" trick it might work!

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 11:41 PM
link   
If you are currently employed now during the great recession, its very likely that you are are the type of indispensable, highly valued employee company's desire! Or your just lucky!

I know sometimes when people get laid off they will draw more money in unemployment compensation than they would earn taking a crap job, so someone who takes a crap job even though it pays less could be considered by no stretch of the imagination a diligent worker with a high moral compass and a willing to work attitude.

So what is the problem with all this! Company's are in business to make money. Point blank!

Some of you people on here fail to realize this...

Its as if you all think business owners sole purpose in life is to provide you with a paycheck.

Private industry is not the FEDERAL GUBAMENT!

And no, there is no law in the United States requiring jobs to be doled out to the most deserving candidate first.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 11:47 PM
link   
OH! Mustn't forget the age old favorite... when employers see an extensive history, you're "over qualified"; they're afraid you will go to some place better.

I'm sorry, but that's bull. I obviously didn't think I'm too good to work here if I applied here in the first place.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 11:48 PM
link   

Usually if you're unemployed, your skills are less sharp, you were let go because you were the weak out of the bunch and maybe you fall into that 10% that isn't the previous 2 I mentioned.

I think your made up statistics are way off.

www.dailyjobcuts.com...

Look at that site, and then try to tell me that only 10% of the unemployed were layed off. Your rhetoric is borderline offensive.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 11:49 PM
link   
reply to post by mbayacht

LOL, don't get all bent out of shape, man. It works for me, but maybe I have the intelligence and charm to pull it off where you might not. Don't hate me because I'm beautiful!

Seriously, I respect your opinion, but I disagree. It's not lame if it's the truth and you believe it. I worked occassional gigs as a DJ during moments of unemployment, but it goes on my resume as general contract labour. If questioned, I can whip out the knowledge necessary to prove my skill in the arena. I do freelance writing, catering, photography, build websites, fix computers/laptops, mechanic work on just about any vehicle made after 1960, weld, paint, construct, demolish, mow yards, what ever it takes to make the bills and keep my family happy. I've had awesome jobs and crappy ones, but I've never been hung up on employment. Ever.

It may not work for you, sir, but it works.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 11:56 PM
link   
reply to post by habfan1968

I work whatever jobs I'm able to get as long as they pay me enough to make rent, bills, and some food.

Over twenty years ago I worked myself up from temporary part time seasonal cashier to store manager in less than three years, and that was when I only had a ninth grade education.

Throughout the years I've worked in a factory packaging, flower shop, tended bar, cleaned houses, etc. I've had gaps in my employment due to family needs and also during that time I went back to school got my GED and worked my butt off to get a scholarship for college. I got an associates and worked my butt off while doing that and graduated high honors with a 3.65 GPA. I not only have retail experience, but also managerial experience, however they never seem to see that they just see the gaps and file my resume at the bottom of the file. I think my age goes against me also, I'm 48 and they seem to only want the fresh young people.

My last job was at Home Depot, due to the gaps in my resume they would only give a me part time cashier at $8.50 an hr (mind you all the high school kids were starting at $9.50-$10. an hr), I took it. My supervisors liked my work ethic and my rapport with the customers, so they made sure that I always pulled at least 36 hrs a week. Within a couple of months the asst store managers took notice, and in less than a year I went from part time cashier @ $8.50 an hr to full time inventory management at $12.+ an hr. And I was damn good at my job too, they'd put me in a department with bad numbers and in 2-3 months I'd have it running in the black again. So they moved me around to different departments to fix them, when I left I had three departments under me. I had merit reports put in my file by DH's for saving their departments money during inventory. My downfall was that I refused to falsify corporate documents. Then the economy went bad, home improvemnet stores got hit hard and we started losing money big time, by the begining of 08' seems like 5-6 people were being let go every week, last hired, first fired.

Quick rundown on my job responsibilities. Ordering merchandise, tracking deliveries, shelf placement, cross merchandising, working with loss prevention, locating missing merchandise, working with vendors, creating packdown lists, making sure the floor people packed down, working with DH's to improve departments, price changes, tracking sales patterns, and several more things. That should give you enough of an idea though, there was a lot of multi tasking. I liked the job, just didn't like starting at 4 am

You know of anything that fits what I'm capable of let me know.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 11:57 PM
link   
F them

Start your own business in down time if unemployed but keep it at a simple one-man operation to get around most taxes and regulations. Write-offs are good and so is the bottom line in comparison to a heavily taxed paycheck.

Unemployed people should just look at Craigslist and see the services section to get an idea what people do on their own for money. Chances are that if someone had a non-bureaucrat job in the past, they will have some skill to start a one-man operation.

There are ways around this problem. I have been doing it for years, I put my wife through nursing school, and all the while my work day started at 10 a.m. and stopped at sunset. Yes the economy forced me into a transition but I have been getting money with my own efforts.

When sending a resume, don't state unemployment, call it "consulting" and put some creative BS in there. Get some friends for BS references. If companies want to act immoral and discriminate, a little BS tossed their way shouldn't be too offensive.

Corporate life sucks, taxes and regulations are making corporations outsource. The economy is making them downsize. Corporate greed is making the life of most employed into a life of stress and fear. I never realized how abusive working for someone else is until I started working for myself.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 11:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Soothsayer
OH! Mustn't forget the age old favorite... when employers see an extensive history, you're "over qualified"; they're afraid you will go to some place better.

I'm sorry, but that's bull. I obviously didn't think I'm too good to work here if I applied here in the first place.

Yeah, I got that one a lot. I would apply for jobs just using my associate's degree and be told I was "overqualified."

A lot of people then see all the years no one would hire me and say I'm a bum. During much of that time I went to college and made good grades. When I graduated with my associate's degree, I graduated with honors. During my work to get the bachelor's degree I made dean's and president's list. A bum? Yeah whatever...

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 12:03 AM
link   
It is all a game of offer and demand.

There is a high demand for jobs
There aren't many jobs offered

Tables aren't likely to turn in our lifetime, because the competition is more aggressive outsourcing jobs to meagre pay countries. So a job at home is a luxury and you aren't in position to work under your terms anymore.
It is slavery in progress.
Then there is the illusion of studying more to raise your chances. So you are going to gamble precious time and money to go to college with no guarantee to find work, only difference is you have now a huge debt to repay.
Unless you are a genius, it will be hard. There are millions like you going after the same jobs.

We are only slaves to a profit machine. They used to feed us while they milked us, now they think we eat too much so they are going to feed other slave so they can continue milking us until there is nothing left to milk. And the government is powerless.

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 12:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Arrowmancer

Whatever, I have actually been employed straight for over twenty years at a proffesional level and have risen to an executive position so I know what it takes to enter these ranks and self employed DJ does not cut it. In reading your reply most of the jobs you quote fall into the "crappy" category and if you have never been hung up on employment then you would not have to worry about your "gaps" .

So I go back to the fact that the only ones you are fooling are the idiots, you would not fool anyone hiring for a six figure position with major responsibilities, benifits and upward mobility in a major corporations, they would be polite and laugh after you left and move on to the next candidate if you even made it past the screening.

To give you an idea how goofy your proposal is, the last position I took was a executive VP, the company I applied too hired a private investigator I am pretty sure "Self Employed DJ" would not have cut it.

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 12:09 AM
link   
reply to post by yellowcard

Why? They are a private company, they can do whatever they like. I know being unemployed is demoralizing, but that doesn't mean we should force firms to hire people.

No ones saying they should be forced to hire anyone, but geez man at least give them a chance, at least read their damn resume instead of filing it. Don't prejudge someone simply because they have gaps in thier employment history, or are currently unemployed.

Bottom line is this if you can't discriminate against someone because of race, sex. sexual preference, religion. etc you shouldn't be allowed to discriminate against them because they are unemployed, especially when unemployment is so high.

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 12:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Jessicamsa

Agreed! Went to college, and same thing with high honors. During my stints of unemployment, went to seminars and certifiable trainings... but everything I do to improve myself and how my resume looks just ends up in the waste bin.

Also, what's always nice to see is the same company that you applied for a month ago putting a new ad out for the same position. Apparently, the person they hired didn't cut it.

There's this one company I've been applying at since this past February; I believe I've dealt with them four times; each time I get passed on by, but lo and behold, they advertise the same position a month or so later.

Maybe with their turn around rate, I shouldn't apply there anymore... but then again, if they were to hire me, they wouldn't be needing anyone else; or they're just afraid I'd drive the company into ruin (I am, of course, referring to my first post in this thread).

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 01:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Soothsayer
reply to post by Jessicamsa

Agreed! Went to college, and same thing with high honors. During my stints of unemployment, went to seminars and certifiable trainings... but everything I do to improve myself and how my resume looks just ends up in the waste bin.

Also, what's always nice to see is the same company that you applied for a month ago putting a new ad out for the same position. Apparently, the person they hired didn't cut it.

Yeah, this one company went and hired someone out of high school instead of me because I was "overqualified." During her short stint with them she had managed to mess up most people's accounts and the company was having to give out a lot of credits and stuff to calm down all the angry customers. After they got rid of her though they still would not hire me. I was still "overqualified" afterall.

What gets me is all the people telling me to go to college and get retraining. I'll tell them all the education I already have and it goes over their heads. Besides, going to college doesn't get you trained for the most part. It just gives you booksmarts for a lot of the fields. All you do is educate yourself out of the available job field and put yourself into debt.

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 01:37 AM
link   
well that cant be good at all for the economy. but what do they care about? this can be a major problem because younger people looking for work will have a hard time getting a job increasing unemployment, as the unemployed adults cant get a job, and ,ore are being laid off!

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 01:50 AM
link   
Jobs ?

There is no more real jobs for everybody : and there fewer and fewer jobs.

When you the people will understand that : maybe the world will change.

The economic system should upgrade : or the working class should die.

You choose.

Open Economy for Open People : in their country

[edit on 5-6-2010 by psychederic]

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 02:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Maxmars
I find a different notion to pop out at me when I think of this practice....

This isn't about keeping the unemployed in a prolonged state of unemployment, it's not about people who don't "deserve" to work, it's not classism in action, it's not even about people....

This is about being able to say you've 'created' jobs without having to do so.

Meanwhile business are running at peak efficiency with a diminished core of workers who are afraid to look elsewhere.

But then, it's just a notion..

What an awful thought...creating jobs != filling them.

CEO of CORP: "Yes, Mr. Obama! We created 15,000 jobs!"
Obama: "That's awesome! Change we need!"
Obama leaves
CEO of CORP: "*cookie-monster laugh and under his breath* But I didn't say we FILLED them! *cookie-monster laugh*"

Thanks for that thought.

/sigh

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 02:08 AM
link   
any gaps in your employment can be filled by saying that you where working on a ranch in texas or a municipal post in brazil.

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 02:25 AM
link   
The next time an employer asks me why I've been unemployed for the past 3 years, I'll just tell them this is why.. employers discriminate against the unemployed, and I'll tell them there are job ads that say this, and after being "in the market" for a job for the past 3 years it's obvious that this is completely the case. It's not a matter of capabilities, I know I am physically and mentally capable of doing whatever job I apply for, but that's been made impossible to prove. As others have mentioned, I think lying is the way to go.

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 02:34 AM
link   
reply to post by mbayacht

You seem to be quite full of yourself. Why does someone have to make six figures and work for a corporation? Some people actually want to enjoy their work and don't have to keep up with societies wishes for them. Not everyone needs a huge house or a brand new BMW to be happy, in fact quite a few people are more than happy with much less.

Not to mention, this is the internet, most people make themselves out to be way more than they really are. I wonder if this is the case with your post. If you really are that superficial about people I feel sorry for you. Unfortunately your attitude may come back to bite you in the end.

As for having to read hundreds of resumes from varied candidates, oh well, that's your job. If you're not capable of doing your job screening potential candidates, i'm sure they could find someone else to do it for you. If you're not willing to work yourself to death doing your job, why would the company expect any of it's other employees to do otherwise. Sad state of affairs in this country.

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 03:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Hypntick

Dunning–Kruger effect

But what if people need a job in order just to survive ? ( in our economic system )

You are not a product : you are not a product on a "job market " : the problem today is the quantity of work per human needed. The technology , and the economy said : it must be near to zero : this is the perfect production system : ... and today

the dream come true ...

Do you think people should die ? because they have no jobs, because there is no jobs ? Because of progress

Most people think : they have to sell themself in stupid meaningless job, or boring jobs ? ( oh i forget job that is to try sell something people don't need and don't want : great job : we don't need these job : it is like ads or pollution : it creates nothing : no value)

And if : yes , and if those commercial jobs are disapearing ALSO !

WAKE UP !

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join