It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The view of the oil leak that CNN does not want to show?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 03:48 AM
link   
So tonight after getting back from a walk, a friend sent me an instant message saying "Hey BP finally put on the 'top hat' and stopped the leak". I replied "really, wow! It's about time". He said "Yeah check the live view on CNN the water is clear now".

So I go to the CNN "Live View" link, and sure enough it shows the view from an ROV with mostly clear water in front of it, but oddly it doesn't seem to be pointing towards any of the hardware:
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/ee32ec2bcb4c.png[/atsimg]

So I go back to the CNN main page, and verify that it says that the "top hat" has been installed and how BP "waits to see if it works".

So I go to the BP site itself, and they have multiple live ROV cams. The first one is the same one that CNN is showing:
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/34e50c3d6ee7.png[/atsimg]

But what about all the other views, well let's just say its not as pretty a sight. In fact, ALL of the other views show the oil gushing worse than ever!
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/62b49af1e3f8.png[/atsimg]
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/cbbf26b2eb34.png[/atsimg]
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/08e8fae7acff.png[/atsimg]
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/c663539b8c58.png[/atsimg]

So out of ALL the views of the leak, CNN shows the one with the least oil, along with the hopeful message that the "top hat" is in place and that BP is "waiting" for it to work.

Why would you have to "wait" for the tophat to work? I would assume it would take some time for the oil to travel up the pipe to the surface, but it should begin doing that immediately, especially if they are applying any sort of negative pressure to help it.

Anyhow, my main point is, that out of 5 live cams, CNN is just showing the one that shows no oil at all. Sad. Yes I realize that ROVs move around and one particular one may not always have the best view. But guess what. Everyone at CNN doesn't go to sleep during the night and can only update the video link once per day. They should be monitoring all of the live feeds themselves, and link to the one that shows the best view/angle. Afterall, isn't that the whole purpose of linking to the view in the first place, so that people can see the status of the oil leak, not some nice clean ocean view?

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 03:56 AM
link   
I'm streaming the two Skandi feeds...ROV1 is putting some sort of lid on as I type.
Are you seeing it? Looks like they keep lowering it, lifting it, lowering.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 04:01 AM
link   
I hope they get it sealed enough so that its down to a trickle, since the last remaining fix is the perm one - the relief well which will take until at least August. The first gulf hurricane is going to be interesting, will it spread the oil out, or push it all to shore? What a horrible mess!

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 05:36 AM
link   
There certainly seems to be a lot of activity going on, from what I can see though the containment cap is definitely not "in place" as CNN is reporting.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 06:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Blazer
There certainly seems to be a lot of activity going on, from what I can see though the containment cap is definitely not "in place" as CNN is reporting.

I love the self-proclaimed "experts" on here. Definitely not "in place"? How would you know? Based on a video feed you saw on a website and some wild speculation? Were you operating the robot? Sitting at home declaring the BP operation a failure. Maybe CNN should use you as their source rather than their people on the scene.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 07:47 AM
link   
Umm not because I watched a "video on a website". I was watching the LIVE video feed on the bp.com site, and you don't have to be an "expert" to clearly see with your own eyes that the "tophat" was not in place. No speculation required. Maybe you should have gone to the feed yourself. Instead, it looks like you are the one who speculated

Thanks for the ad-hominem though, it goes good with my Friday morning breakfast.

[edit on 4-6-2010 by Blazer]

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 09:27 AM
link   
AwakenNM

BP has been a failure from day one, nouthing has changed up to this date.
Who are you trying to protect? BP? Please take a closer look at the outcome so far. We have not seen the worst of it as of yet. Meanwhile they continue to pour the Cortex solution to hide it. Talk to the people who are breathing it as of today. O-wait better yet, take youropinion/this position once the first tropical storm goes through the gulf, maybe then the amount that has been released still won't make a difference to you.
It already has in many others.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 10:37 AM
link   
From what I have heard, the 'Top Hat', is in place.

It is not solid all the way around. It has four valves that are opened, letting the plume through.

Then they will close the valves, one by one, until the valves are all closed.

They say it is to monitor the buildup of any hydrates that would clog the return pipe, stopping the flow of oil.

But once the valves are closed, there will still be seepage under the seal, since it is not a tight fit.

Only time will tell.....

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Maybe the leak did stop for a short amount of time - not sure, but CNN is showing what they have available to show. I think they are doing a great job with the limited resources they have from BP. This morning the live feed on CNN clearly shows that it is still leaking, the report is that some of the oil is being contained but they do not know how much.

Let's not judge those that are trying to help, remember the media can only report what they have and what they believe to be the truth. We should focus on BP and what they are not telling us.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 02:57 PM
link   
All of the live feeds just went black. Hmm.

EDIT: Was only black for about 5 mins. Back to the oil-riffic view.

[edit on 4-6-2010 by Blazer]

new topics

top topics

join