It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

disclose.tv Under Attack?... Is ATS NEXT????

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+20 more 
posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 08:01 AM
link   
Is www.disclose.tv... under attack?

For those not familiar with disclose.tv/, they are a youtube version of ATS (videos of all things discussed here) with a breaking alternative news links aggregate and a forum like ATS.

Just a few days ago www.disclose.tv announced that Google had changed how they rated in searches because of questionable content. The effect of this change meant they would lose ad revenue and be unable to pay for the website. The "questionable content" sighted was the video of the senator who committed suicide in front of a conference.

I would provide a link to the source, but I can't. It now comes up in Firefox as an attack site. So last evening I accessed the page through IE. Now this morning I cannot connect with IE.

For those paying attention, it is known that Cass Sunstien advocates government action against conspiracy theories.

So... is this the beginning?
Is ATS in their sites?

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 08:08 AM
link   
reply to post by GuyverUnit I

Interesting. It's coming up the same for me now. I do have a Mac, so if there was the threat of malware, I wouldn't get hit by it.

I don't know if I fully buy into the Cass Sunstein story or not, but it seems to me many of our "conspiracy brothers" out there are being hit hard. I think this is the second or third time I've heard of an attack mentioned on conspiracy sites. We know that they were going after Pirate Bay and Demonoid too, but for different reasons. They can tear down websites, but what these idiots can't do is stop the free flow of information. I only wish we could get some concrete evidence on these guys. Maybe it's time to start calling in favors from all of my old hacker buddies.

Peace be with you.

-truthseeker

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 08:23 AM
link   
Keeps coming up with "Reported attack site" for me too, although I can ignore this with Firefox (using Linux too). It does make navigating the site a pain though...

Do any of the techies know how to turn this off at all?

To my mind, the way the site is loading for me, it looks like a DDOS attack.

Explanation of DDOS

Edit to add:

I wouldn't think this would happen to ATS, the "attack" looks too amateur for Google to be doing anything to the site... although I wouldn't put it past them.

[edit on 1/6/1010 by jokei]

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 08:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by jokei
Keeps coming up with "Reported attack site" for me too, although I can ignore this with Firefox (using Linux too). It does make navigating the site a pain though...

Do any of the techies know how to turn this off at all?

To my mind, the way the site is loading for me, it looks like a DDOS attack.

Explanation of DDOS

Edit to add:

I wouldn't think this would happen to ATS, the "attack" looks too amateur for Google to be doing anything to the site... although I wouldn't put it past them.

[edit on 1/6/1010 by jokei]

It's looking like a DDOS attack from my end as well. To turn off your "blocked sites" setting:

Window: File>Preferences>Security Tab> Uncheck Block attack sites
Mac OSX: Firefox>Preferences>Security Tab> Uncheck Block attack sites.

Hope that helps.

Peace be with you.

-truthseeker

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 08:32 AM
link   
I don't think this would happen to ATS. ATS is one of the largest (if not the largest) conspiracy site on the net. If it were to be suddenly labelled as "an attack site", DDOSed, and have it's Google rank manipulated, there would be a huge backlash against Google, and others.

That's not to say they won't do it just before a "major event" though, to stop the spreading of anti-government rumours, and the truth. Hopefully ATS has some counter-measures for this possibility, such as backup servers and alternative places they can rely important information to.

[edit on 1-6-2010 by Pixus]

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 08:42 AM
link   
The problem is explained as not having originated with disclose tv itself but because of security attacks from linked (contributor) sites in KZ (Kahzakstan?) and RU/Russia. No surprise there.

I bypassed the warning and am going to review what is there now.

Will report back if I survive, lol.

Edit to add: I got to the site OK. All of the scripting, page layout was altered to show just a list format - not sure what you call that. Even tho I have scripts allowed for the disclose tv site itself I did not allow scripts for anything else.

None of the links worked. Every time I clicked a link I just got that warning page again, so it really is disabled for all intents and purposes.

[edit on 6/1/2010 by wayno]

2nd edit: I went back and now realize that pretty much everything seems available but only in that plain, black and white list style. Every time I clicked on something I had to deal with that warning page, but if you click the "go anyway" button at the bottom it takes u to the link. Still not good.

If ATS gets anymore bad rap in terms of viruses being linked from here, they are indeed vulnerable to this kind of censorship.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 08:48 AM
link   
It loads up just fine in Safari. The whole situation just makes me wonder who thinks they are in control, how they can be outed, and shamed as opponents of freedom.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Interesting. I had no problems just now accessing the site using the link in the OP and then I did a manual check using Vista's SmartScreen Filter which reported :-

"SmartScreen Filter checked this website and did not report any threats"

(whatever that's worth)

And then I Googled "www.disclose.tv" and sure enough got a big, red, scary :-

Warning - visiting this web site may harm your computer!

Suggestions:

Return to the previous page and pick another result.
Try another search to find what you're looking for.

Nowadays I tend to rely on Google for 99% of my website finding, rather than manually typing stuff into the address bar. Especially as in Vista I can just highlight a bit of text or a website name or whatever and up pops a little Arrow box and I right click and "Search with Google". Whatever I'm looking for pops up in another Tab and that's that.

Because it's all been made so quick and easy I now realise I've become almost entirely dependant on Google for my online navigation. I probably use it a hundred times a day. I've even been known to tell novice PC users that Google is the main thing that's made the Internet into a really useful tool (well that and my huge Favorites folder which has been growing and migrating from one PC to the next one for over 12 years now. I lost it once in system crash and still have nightmares about that LOL)

Convenience and laziness has put me almost entirely in their 'capable' hands. I'm now beginning to wonder if that's wise. It's a heck of a tool for controlling where people go and what they can, or can't see.

I'd not heard of disclose.tv until this thread so thanks for that

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 09:50 AM
link   
A further complaint was that the video sited as "questionable" prompting action by google is still readily available on youtube.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 10:01 AM
link   

This is very worrying indeed... sites like ATS and Disclose are the some of the few places that are not drenched in "popular opinion" and have people who are willing to look at alternative possibilities and not just except what the media throws at them... There are times that i moan about ATS but, to be honest, i would be lost without it...

It’s funny how it’s only when something is in danger that you realise how much you care about it!!!

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 10:11 AM
link   
reply to post by jokei

use a proxy site.
2nd line.

-b0s-

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 10:12 AM
link   
Yeah, I'm getting the "Warning - Visiting this website may harm your computer" sign. It states it's a malware problem, with 2 Malware being downloaded.

Of the 221 pages we tested on the site over the past 90 days, 2 page(s) resulted in malicious software being downloaded and installed without user consent. The last time Google visited this site was on 2010-05-31, and the last time suspicious content was found on this site was on 2010-05-31.

I'll have a look when I'm back at home and I've got the tools to check out the site safely, without the possibility of taking down my work's network

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 10:13 AM
link   

Hey guys, normally its coming up as an attack site for me also.

HOWEVER...

I was able to get onto the site by using www.hidemyass.com which is a proxy site.

Whatever is going on here is suspicious indeed.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 10:16 AM
link   
Here is what I saw using Firefox:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What is the current listing status for disclose.tv?

Site is listed as suspicious - visiting this web site may harm your computer.

Part of this site was listed for suspicious activity 1 time(s) over the past 90 days.

What happened when Google visited this site?

Of the 221 pages we tested on the site over the past 90 days, 2 page(s) resulted in malicious software being downloaded and installed without user consent. The last time Google visited this site was on 2010-05-31, and the last time suspicious content was found on this site was on 2010-05-31.

Malicious software is hosted on 2 domain(s), including isadl.ru/, vsmd.kz/.

1 domain(s) appear to be functioning as intermediaries for distributing malware to visitors of this site, including vsmd.kz/.

This site was hosted on 1 network(s) including AS20773 (HOSTEUROPE).

Has this site acted as an intermediary resulting in further distribution of malware?

Over the past 90 days, disclose.tv did not appear to function as an intermediary for the infection of any sites.

Has this site hosted malware?

No, this site has not hosted malicious software over the past 90 days.

How did this happen?

In some cases, third parties can add malicious code to legitimate sites, which would cause us to show the warning message.

Next steps:

* Return to the previous page.
* If you are the owner of this web site, you can request a review of your site using Google Webmaster Tools. More information about the review process is available in Google's Webmaster Help Center.

Updated 7 hours ago

©2008 Google - G

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I had zero problems viewing the disclose.tv site or links using the old 7.2 version of Netscape which I have maintained for these kinds of reasons.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 10:18 AM
link   
It came up just fine for me. No lag either.
Although, I do notice that the layout of the site is different.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 10:22 AM
link   
Works fine with Opera on PC.

I recommend Opera BTW, it's about 4-5 times faster in browsing pages than FF. Only con: no proper AdBlock. But still WAY lighter, better layout. It's just better.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Hello people,

I am a fan of both ATS and Disclose.tv necause they are both very entertaining.
From the quality point of view, i consider ATS as being net superior.

However, Disclose.tv is assaulted by far many doommongers, conspirationists and "prophets". They accept links to dubious websites and very often my security software blocks lots of exploits coming from those websites. Is Disclose.tv's fault that they dont do a minimal check on the posts they support.

A part of the content posted there is obviously misleading. The latest example was a post describing the israeli protest in front of Turkey embassy in Israel as being a "celebration" of the recent attack. Not that i dont think this may be possible but it was not what the video depicted. The website staff was informed and did nothing to remediate the error. This is only one example.

So, i dont think the measure taken by google and Mozilla is that bad... Dont harm your users and dont lie to them and you are fine. If they remediate the situation they will be restaured.

As for the DDOS part i can explain you what is happening:

Disclose.tv has alot of infrastructure problems so, from time to time delays or short outages occur. Especially on the video broadcasting part. Is a technical problem that they struggle to fix. They are changing versions of the player and try to index the site in a smarter way so the querryes wont overcharge the system.

The Mozilla users are encountering problems in viewing the site because the browser is blocking all the scripts and is displaying the pages in a raw html version. All they have to fo is to install Chromium from google and they will be able to see the website very well after getting past the warning screen.

This is another proof that Google did not direct a disproportionate action against them.

What google is doing when, for serious reasons, they want a website out of the internet :

- Completely de-index all the search results related to the content published on that website
- Completely de-index all the search results related to that specific domain name
- Warn the affiliates of that website to remove ads/content leading to the wbsite they consider malicious, offensive or whatever.
- Include that website in all the malware/spyware/addware lists available over the internet so they will be blocked by any webfiltering service as potentially dangerous sources.

So please dont rush with the suspicion of guilt and get informed rather that getting scared.

In the end, please excuse my poor english, i am only a non speaking technician from Eastern Europe.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 11:00 AM
link   
So what is the connection between Firefox and Google? Why are those two operating in tandem to shut down this site??

Like someone has already mentioned I have become dependent on those two entities for almost the whole of my internet. Am I being the victim of what looks like an organized manipulation? Gotta wonder. I certainly am vulnerable at this point.

Time to transfer at least some of these eggs into another basket.

edit: thanks xxerse for the explanation.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 11:26 AM
link   

I wonder if the article is actually on to something. We do all know that the site was under attack and got a virus as Lucas stated in a letter. If the connection is factual then I just have to think that the Info wars are heating up and is starting to get serious. How far will this type of warfare go? Food for thought.. Hopefully the connection is just coincidence and not fact, because then we are in line for a bumpy ride ahead..
Slushpup

ufo40zz

disclosetv wrote:
Greetings,

Yes, we have been hacked. It's really coming hard down on us currently.

We identified the security breach (it seems one of our webmaster's PCs was compromised by a Rootkit virus) and removed the parasite within less than an hour (so the site is safe despite the warnings given in Firefox and Chrome).

However, Google picked it up and blacklisted Disclose.tv. We requesting a reconsideration of the site already.

Everything should be fine within the next 24 hours again.

Sorry for any inconveniences.

Lukas
Disclose.tv Site Admin

Also this...

www.disclose.tv...

img693.imageshack.us...

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 11:45 AM
link   
I think it is a false flag attack, they reported their own site as being an attack site so that they could look like they are being censored.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join