It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BP Oil spill - South Africans don't know!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 11:46 AM
link   
I was speaking to my folks yesterday morning, and I brought up the BP oil spill. Mom said she heard about it, "but it's no big deal"..... I went Ballistic!! "Absolutely NUTS!!"
How can she believe it's no big deal?? MSM, that's why. When I told her the truth, she was shocked!

It amazes me how the world can be so ignorant and dumb to this! How F*cking sad is this? Not only is "my" family under the pretense that all will be OK, BUT they don't know the truth....

Sad......

[edit on 30-5-2010 by TortoiseKweek]

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by TortoiseKweek

I hear you, was in discussion with friends who were wondering what overseas jobs to take next, and the oil-rig option was discussed, and I was surprised to hear that people had no knowledge that people died in an explosion, that off-shore drilling might regionally shut down and other news items.
I was simply not believed when I said people died.
Unbelievable.
But then with all the Fifa Football Cup as a diversion, I'm not surprised.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 12:17 PM
link   
I'm sure there's alot of stuff going on in the world you don't know about either that are of the same magnitude, it's just not as close to ya.

Like Guatemala pretty ****ty there right now, but noone really knows about it.

And only 11 people died...... and much more die starving in africa so spare them the complaining

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 12:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Republican08

Fair enough.
However, we all share one Atlantic coastline.
As the oil keeps flowing nobody will be immune.

But we've heard so much of Western pollution: Chernobyl, the burning Gulf War oil wells - all spelled apocalyptic disaster, but they were overcome with few casualties.
So maybe that's what we think: the West and the US are so wise and resourceful, they will handle it.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 01:27 PM
link   
This is a DISASTER!! What shocks me, is the the people of South Africa don't know how SERIOUS this is!!

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Republican08
I'm sure there's alot of stuff going on in the world you don't know about either that are of the same magnitude, it's just not as close to ya.

Like Guatemala pretty ****ty there right now, but noone really knows about it.

And only 11 people died...... and much more die starving in africa so spare them the complaining

I'm from Africa,

You want to preach to the converted?! Here I am friend, bring it on!!! (BTW - Read my last posts!!)

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 01:34 PM
link   
People, for the most part, are more concerned with regional news. After the Icelandic volcano erupted and even after they began canceling flights, people I talked to said "what volcano?"

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by janon

True, but it seems South African's are more interested in Soccer than the well being of this planet

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 01:41 PM
link   
reply to post by janon

News is also what people are told "news" should be.
Chernobyl, Gulf Oil wells, 9/11, Katrina, Haiti - that was all framed as a "global concern". This was not, although as far as already strained fish stocks and coastlines go along SA/Namibia's Atlantic coast - this should have been MAJOR NEWS for us.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 01:49 PM
link   
reply to post by halfoldman

Are you from Namibia??

What a great county - awesome to hunt Springbok - .270 great to hunt, and biltong ...mmmm tso GOOD!!

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by halfoldman
reply to post by janon

News is also what people are told "news" should be.
Chernobyl, Gulf Oil wells, 9/11, Katrina, Haiti - that was all framed as a "global concern". This was not, although as far as already strained fish stocks and coastlines go along SA/Namibia's Atlantic coast - this should have been MAJOR NEWS for us.

Ha ha, you're a fellow SA'fer! How's those Blue Bulls - Super 14 - We own You!!

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by TortoiseKweek

Born Namibian, living in SA.
But that West Coast is already threatened, and so many traditional fishing towns had to yield to ANC quotas for big business.
Increasing "sulphur events" where all the sea-life dies and lies rotting on the beaches.
I suppose it lacks the human interest of other US disasters, but this is potentially a starvation issue for us.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by TortoiseKweek
reply to post by janon

True, but it seems South African's are more interested in Soccer than the well being of this planet

They don't know? Or they don't care?

Which one is it

Don't worry though!!! They have till August to get on board

top topics

join