It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SWC Threat details

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 03:13 AM
link   
There have been a lot of threads about the Soccer World Cup, and about the possibility of terror attacks. All of the press statements so far have been very vague and repeated the line: "no specific threat".

This mornings Times Live article changes that.

Selected quotes:

Ronald Sandee, director of the NEFA Foundation, warned the US Congress that: Pakistani and Somali militants are running terror training camps in northern Mozambique;
Trainees from these camps may have crossed into South Africa to join or form cells planning World Cup attacks;
Surveillance and strike teams planning attacks are well established in South Africa. Terror groups involved include al-Qaeda and their Somalian allies, al-Shahaab; and Simultaneous and random attacks are being planned during the World Cup.

The existence of operational militant training camps in several provinces in South Africa, and of established terror strike cells planning to target the World Cup, was confirmed independently by three sources with direct or indirect access to active intelligence operations.
Two sources separately confirmed the Mozambique camps and presence of both al-Qaeda and al-Shabaab operatives.
One conceded: "It's impossible to tell. It's simply unknown if capabilities for large-scale, orchestrated attacks exist."
But all agreed that concrete plans for attempted attacks exist. "There is no doubt about that."

Sandee is more forthright. He told the US congress that numerous references were made to World Cup attacks in closed-frequency radio broadcasts and telephone intercepts this month in Mauritania, Algeria, Mali, Pakistan and Yemen. "Information confirms that several venues will be targeted, some simultaneously, others at random. Reference is also made to the possibility of a kamikaze-type attack."

He said an al-Qaeda spokesman also warned in a communication intercepted in mid-April that "the South African people should get away, not only from the contest between the US and Britain, but also from those who mocked the prophet Muhammad - Denmark and the Netherlands".

He agrees with several analysts who believe that until recently South African intelligence bosses were in denial about the level of threat posed to the World Cup.

Go read the whole article.

NEFA is:

The NEFA Foundation is a 501 (c) (3) tax-exempt, charitable organization created after the attacks of September 11, 2001. NEFA's mission is to expose the organizations and individuals who plan, fund, and commit acts of terrorism in order to help the counter-terrorism community prevent future attacks in America and abroad.

So the problem is a LOT worse than anyone has let on. The threats more verifiable, specific and credible than we have been told. Camps exist in neighbouring countries, with the capabilty for large scale suicide attacks.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 04:43 AM
link   
Under the "old" government regime i would not have batted an eyelid about the security arangements, A very capable defence force and top drawer Intel department,
these days i would not be so sure, The one thing IMO is the security will be steered by the insurance company's, So maybe Sandline, Blackwater,(Privatized internal security) will have a very large input into the security arangements...

(Humour)
I wonder if fergie is going by request from her Maj,
Shes been promised a black Mercedes and a Welsh body guard ??:

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 04:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by foxhoundoneThe one thing IMO is the security will be steered by the insurance company's, So maybe Sandline, Blackwater,(Privatized internal security) will have a very large input into the security arangements...

Nope, i haven't seen a single article that supports large external security. All private security requirements by teams etc, has been covered by our private security industry.

Only official govt representatives will have foreign security, and even they are under the command of the SA security forces.

WRT to intelligence services this would be different, but i still believe the SWC is the primary target, not any specific persons.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 05:08 AM
link   
" Our private security industry", Sub contractors maybe ?
The bit i was trying to get across (badly :up
, It will not be the main stream security running the security, It will be the likes of AIG, Santander and the like , Policy makers . Think of the money (premiums) it will cost just to protect the top flight national players, "Billions" IMO .....

DeltaOne International security, recruiting now, For the world cup.

"Bodyguards or bodyguarding is no longer the privilege and domain of governments and the wealthy. Bodyguards are also known as close protection, executive protection, VIP protection or personal security details (PSD). The need for professional bodyguarding and personal security services are becoming common at every level of the social and business strata"

Apolz HH me got a Merlot head...

[edit on 30-5-2010 by foxhoundone]

new topics

top topics

join