It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is the Hungarian Language Sumerian?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 12:27 PM
link   
After reading this PDF on Hungarian, Sumerian and Mongolian being related languages Im a little confused. "Official Sources" say that there is no relation between Sumerian and Hungarian "whatsoever".

More than 55% of the words of the three languages are identical or very similar. The author points out a relation between the Hungarians and the Huns, Scythians, Avars, Medes, Parthians as well - and these connections are acknowledged by "Official Sources". Some of these "Official Sources" even accept a possible connection to Mongolia.

But the connection to Sumeria is denied in all but fringe publications.

If there is some cover-up going on here?

Who would want to hide the survival of Sumerian (which some say was one of the first civilizations) to this day?

Discussion and Research-help Welcome.

[edit on 29-5-2010 by Skyfloating]

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 12:38 PM
link   
I was made aware of an excellent post on the Hungarian-Mongolian connection.

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Sumeria isn't the first civilization, as they have found cities several thousand years older in the Anatolia area of Turkey.

www.telesterion.com...

The oldest layer of Catal Huyuk yet excavated (virgin soil has not been reached) is reliably carbon dated to 6,500 B.C,, and reveals a thriving, completely developed and planned, city. While no traces of a town preceding the city were found in the excavated areas, it seems reasonable to assume that several hundred years (and possibly several millennia) before 6,500 B.C. the site was occupied, found ideal, and then developed from a village into a town, and finally into a city.

Thus, the full duration of this early civilization looks as though it should be measured from approximately 7,000 B.C. to 4,900 B.C., some 2,100 years, give or take a century, "The neolithic civilization revealed at Catal Huyuk shines like a supernova among the rather dim galaxy of contemprary peasant cultures," says James Mellaart, excavator of Catal Huyuk and premier authority on the ancient Near East.

So it makes sense that the language of this early civilization influence the others that came after it.

[edit on 29-5-2010 by poet1b]

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by poet1b

Ah yes, History books change rapidly. I changed the OP from saying "the first" to "one of the first"

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Great post! I've been searching for this type of info for some time, with little success. I have not read the links yet as I was so excited to see the topic i just wanted to reply but will respond again after some time to read and digest the material.

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by poet1b

So it makes sense that the language of this early civilization influence the others that came after it.

Of Course this does not say much about the question asked in the OP - is Hungarian related to Sumerian?

[edit on 29-5-2010 by Skyfloating]

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Googled the name of the author and found this too
Dictionary of Hungarian Etymology

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Well, did not know about that there was any attempt to connect Sumerian and Hungarian language,culture and ethnicity. I just read this
www.szabir.com...
and i assume that it is the same as your link, however since i am not a linguist i cannot conclude anything.
However i think that it would be wise to compare myths. Those should be notably similar if source for two nations are the same.

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 04:05 PM
link   
I cant conclude anything either and I was hoping to here some more expert people chime in here because I cant find much in the Internet.

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 04:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

I thought if you didn't already know about Catal Huyuk, you would want to hear about.

I studied Sumerian civilization long ago, and from what I remember, many historians think the Sumerian civilization had developed somewhere else, and they migrated to the Persian Gulf region.

The Huns, who settled Hungaria, are an mysterious group, who are not considered Mongols. Isn't the Hungarian language considered to be central to indo-European?

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Isn't the Hungarian language considered to be central to indo-European?

Its called an "Uralic" language, which would be Eastern Russia I guess. It is entirely disconnected to any of the surrounding languages (German, Slavic, Latin)

The Huns, who settled Hungaria, are an mysterious group, who are not considered Mongols.

I think I need to look at the origin of the Huns to find out more about Hungarians.

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 04:18 PM
link   
People of Hungary may have a special history...
Very unique.
Enjoy this awesome image of a shelf cloud near Budapest Hungary this week!
astonishing circle at sunset
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/6da40c1c010a.jpg[/atsimg]

∞LOVE∞

[edit on 29-5-2010 by awake1234]

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 04:38 PM
link   
It is not exactly ancient myth, but maybe it had an earlier source?

the twin princes Hunor and Magor were the sons of Nimrod

en.wikipedia.org...
Of course it is stated that they were born in Scythia (Nimrod Scythian?), but Scythians probably originated in Asia ,so who knows? It might be true.

[edit on 29-5-2010 by ZeroKnowledge]

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 05:08 PM
link   
Hungary is geographic neighbors with Bosnia, home to the Bosnian pyramids - possibly the oldest known pyramids on Earth.
Old Europe
In between Hungary and Bosnia is Croatia and Serbia, and with this relative proximity, there is potential for shared history, and possibly an ancient civilization of Europe.

∞LOVE∞

[edit on 29-5-2010 by awake1234]

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 08:15 PM
link   
A team of a Dutch site recently visited Bosnia to study these Pyramids.
I will ask them if they have a translation of their work.

Who knows... maybe its related.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 08:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

Hello,

As a hungarian I'd like to add some comments:

Even hungarian scientists don't really know the origins of the hungarian language, there are a lots of contradictions and misunderstandings. The commonly accepted theory is, that we came from the east of the ural mountains, during a long exodus, and the language is originated there.

Some people say, the old hungarian writing system is similar to the sumerian. You can decide it for yourselves:
Old Hungarian script - Wikipedia

This was the official alphabet before the founding of the hungarian state, but then it was abandoned for the western latin alphabet, and all documents written with the old one have been burned.

I know about people, who even tell, that the hungarians came from Sirius, but this, and the sumerian connection in my opinion is far fetched.

If you Google "Hungarian mythology" you'll find a lots of contradicting theories, but it's something worth to look at.

About life in today's Hungary:
People are extremely ignorant. Reasoning and common sense has been lost, there's rubbish and dirt on the streets, everything made in the last 20 years is falling apart, no day goes by without a corruption scandal or a cop participating some robbery or bribery, everything gets stolen, because people think that the common property is only theirs. And the worst is, that nobody even cares. Of course, these problems exist in the western world too, but it isn't tipical there. Probably you have heard about cargo cults in the pacific during WW2, when native islanders built wooden airplanes to call the skypeople. Well, hungarians are those people with the makeshift plane imitation, trying to imitate the west. Arrogant, selfish, yet unable to cooperate or trust, and confident about ther superiority. I say this as a hungarian. It's like all the smartness that's missing from the dumb masses, has been stuffed into a few. To be honest, I don't like to live here, and will leave as soon as I can.

One of the reasons can be, that Hungary has been the passageway to Europe in the last 1000 years. Almost all the time there has been an occupying force, so Hungary can be compared to a mix of Afghanistan and a 3rd world country in Africa, where the people have lost their capability to think in perspectives, and only live for today. The last 20 years of this country without an occcupying force hasn't been a success story at all. Civilisation has degraded as the former "servants" have got the power, and some of the "servants" are trying to be more equal than others. Like in Animal Farm.

On the other hand there's Leó Szilárd, Donát Bánki, Ányos Jedlik, Albert Szent-Györgyi, Tivadar Puskás among many other "martians".

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 10:03 AM
link   
reply to post by nooyb

Hi nooyb, good post. I'm also from Hungary but haven't been there since I was a baby, although from what relatives still living over there tell me, what you say is true.

May I ask what your opinions are on the following:

Link

Cheers.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 10:27 AM
link   
There is a "middle link" to the languages mentioned in the OP, it's the Tocharian language (now extinct). Geographically it "fits" as it was supposed to be spoken about 2 millennia ago in the area that today is Afghanistan and north of that (Khazakstan, Tadjikistan and thereabouts). the area is east of the Ural mountains, it had ties to the middle East in antiquity and it was the spawning ground for migrations to the west that ended up in Europe through the ages.

If the Huns started there, maybe their language stems from the Tocharian language and so it related to both Sumerian and Mongolian. Geography and history provide enough plausible evidence. Maybe this can account for relations to Indo-European (IE) languages as well, Tocharian is part of the IE group.

From that to claim a cover-up is far fetched. It may very well be a case where the experts simply don't know for sure!

nooyb, sad to hear all that. It seems my country (Greece) is on its path to that itself

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 12:50 PM
link   
reply to post by nooyb

The old hungarian script is awesome and very helpful for this line of research

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 03:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Maegnas

Wow, thanks to you too - Im really starting to get into this because of the data you guys provide.

<<   2 >>

join