It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I Have A Fuel Cell

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2004 @ 02:07 AM
link   
Just reading a great thread about getting off the grid , and remembered that I have a small proof of concept fuel cell sittin in the hobby closet . It is called a PEM -proton exchange membrane . I always thought of it as an electron sieve . Kind of like a large spagetti strainer full of potatoes and peas . Potatoes=protons , peas=electrons . It is a little thinner than a deck of cards , and has a small bolt on both sides +/-. One side has a hole that connects to a small electrolosys waterpipe looking thingy . (seperater of water into hydrogen and oxygen) The seperater runs off a small solar panel and has the hydrogen pumped into one side of the cell which then seperates the electrons and ships them off to run a small efficient PM (permanent magnet) fan . It is cool , and if you are a teacher I think they give away the kit for free addressed to your school . I will look into it for any real teachers out there , u2u me. My thought was concerning a sustainable hydrogen supply thru solar panels and electrolosys as a feul source . It uses a metal ring attached to the +/- on the panel as a catalyst to seperate the proton(+) and electron(-) and then ships them to the feul cell and then to the load . The catalytic ring is eventually eaten up and needs replacing , but I solar electrolosis could still be a financially sound solution (solar power starts out as hydrogen ) to any future hydrogen needs . Any thoughts pro or con ?

posted on Jun, 9 2004 @ 02:13 AM
link   
wrong heading , cell being the word that got it here , should be sci-tech . Any mods watching ?

posted on Jun, 9 2004 @ 01:37 PM
link   
Does it actually work to produce electricity whilst being self sustaining?
e.g. combusts h2 and o2 which produces h2o which is then re-electrolysised, etc?

join