It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atlantis oil rig 10x bigger than the Deepwater rig

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Lawmakers to urge BP to idle its Atlantis rig

A group of lawmakers will recommend BP be ordered to idle its Atlantis oil and gas platform in the U.S. Gulf of Mexico until federal regulators can prove the region's second biggest rig is operating safely.

earlier, February 24 letter from 19 lawmakers to the MMS urged an investigation into Atlantis's safety, months ahead of the rig explosion at BP's Macondo field in April and resulting oil spill and environmental disaster.

"Given the backdrop of what has happened, the idling of the (Atlantis) platform I think is justified," Grijalva said in a phone interview on Wednesday. "We need to make sure another catastrophe doesn't happen."

In the letter, House Democratic lawmakers voice renewed concern that the Atlantis oil and gas project, which began production in 2007, has operated without up-to-date "as built" engineering documents and diagrams showing how all of its components work, raising the specter of a disaster that could be even bigger than BP's Macondo spill.

"We are very concerned that the tragedy at Deepwater Horizon could foreshadow an accident at BP Atlantis, which is operating in deeper water than Horizon," according to the letter. The "worst-case scenario spill" could be many times worse than the Horizon disaster, exceeding the volume of the Exxon Valdez spill of 1989 in just two days time, it says.

www.mnn.com...

thereis a video here, watch the first 2 mins...

www.democracynow.org...

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 09:51 AM
link   
reply to post by baddmove

Ironic if Atlantis sunk beneath the waves..wouldnt it?

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 08:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Raider of Truth

Yes , it would be..but seriously, 10 x as worse as the spill we have going in now, that just boggles my mind. i hope they get the safety measures on there soon before another disaster hits the gulf..

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 11:26 PM
link   
Bump, because this is important..damn people, read this and watch the video..

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 03:55 PM
link   

A group of lawmakers will recommend BP be ordered to idle its Atlantis oil and gas platform in the U.S. Gulf of Mexico until federal regulators can prove the region's second biggest rig is operating safely.

I wonder if the $500,000.00 safety apparatus was waived off of this rig as well. Good Thread OP!

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by UberL33t

I wonder if the $500,000.00 safety apparatus was waived off of this rig as well. Good Thread OP!

You know, i would bet money it is not in place even as we speak, seems a lot of corners were cut during it's construction..

join