It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Note on Google Maps/Earth/Street View

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Over the past couple of weeks, I have noticed several situations where people have turned to Google imaging sites to try and corroborate/investigate various threads on here. While this is a good way to check out the location of geographic features, established buildings and historical sites; many commentors have referenced these sites as if they were LIVE views of whatever people are looking at.

Let us all take a moment to understand how Google Maps (and especially Google Street View) actually work. These are all snapshots of the Earth at various times. The satellite images on Google Earth can range between 1-5 years old. Some areas are updated more frequently than others, but nothing could be considered live or fresh.

The way that Google Street View works is that Google has camera trucks literally driving up and down every street in a given city or metropolitan area taking full 360 degree photos along the way. This is a time and data intensive progress and creating a Street View can take upwards of a year. If you live somewhere that has been Street Viewed, you can check out your own house and see that the image may not be even remotely up to date.

So while Street View is an AWESOME resource for getting the lay of the land before going somewhere (I know the NYC and Philly neighborhoods that I visit like a local before I even hit the road), they absolutely can not be used to investigate breaking news.

This is actually kind of a good thing, as the camera/surveillance system required to have LIVE Google Street View is not something ANYONE on this forum would actually want to have in place.

[edit on 27-5-2010 by RobertAntonWeishaupt]

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 10:53 AM
link   
I was thinking yesterday. What if I were to buy a remote control helicopter (the good ones) and attach a camera to it, somehow make it work on solar power, then have the camera give me a live feed to my computer. That way I can fly it to places like Area 51, White house, ect. Do you think it would show up on the radar? Just a thought.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by ShakeNBake
I was thinking yesterday. What if I were to buy a remote control helicopter (the good ones) and attach a camera to it, somehow make it work on solar power, then have the camera give me a live feed to my computer. That way I can fly it to places like Area 51, White house, ect. Do you think it would show up on the radar? Just a thought.

I'm speechless

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Do all that, my friend: Create a radar-proof wireless spy vehicle with unlimited range and power; and you won't need to spy on those places, you will be hired to work there!

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 11:08 AM
link   

How were you planning to control this helicopter through all of the radio jamming? Or is this going to be controlled telepathically.

[edit on 27-5-2010 by prionace glauca]

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 11:22 AM
link   
reply to post by prionace glauca

Yeah that is true. Maybe have it controlled through WiFi, but that would be pretty difficult to set-up.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 11:31 AM
link   
reply to post by ShakeNBake

Ah yes, Wi-Fi...

Would this be the Wi-Fi that doesn't use radio frequencies then?

If it was that easy to have some stealthy, remote controlled spy vehicle with unlimited loiter time, everyone would have one!

EDIT: As for the OP, just so his thread doesn't get totally derailed with silly idea's and an avalanche of derision and sarcasm..

I too have seen people refer to Google maps/streetview as if it is some sort of public spy-sattelite service! I once had a long argument with another poster about it and used pictures of my house that were taken since before I even moved in, some 18 months prior.

He still didn't believe me!

[edit on 27/5/10 by stumason]

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 11:33 AM
link   
reply to post by stumason

Haha, idk. It was just a thought.. I wish they had developed a flying bee like in the movie Richie Rich. That would be stealthy.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Would flying a RC helicopter over such places be considered in violation of restricted air space?

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Well NOW it's not going to work - look where you posted this...
Second

new topics

top topics

join