It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sensing Sleep Paralysis

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 09:20 AM
link   
Ok, So first off, I am not the paranormal kind of person. I am spiritual though, So I don't know how far the two are related from each other.

About a week and half ago was my first experience with sleep paralysis and it happened about 3 in the morning, and I immediately knew what it was from all the testimonies I've read and what not. It did feel strange, and I did have that sense of a "presence all around me" and I was filled with an uncontrollable terror, but I wasn't afraid if that makes any sense at all. I just felt the goose bumps and couldn't move and my vision was blurred. I naturally didn't bother looking around, because I know that when it is dark and your vision is blurred your mind plays tricks on you. So I wasn't about the play that game. The whole time my hearing was obscured with a intense static-like electronic sound, and my body was vibrating intensely at a pulse of every one second. - This is the only time I felt vibrations.

It happened again at about 5am that morning but this time I said, whatever, and tried to slowly move my arms out from underneath like with palms open raising towards the sky like some holy experience out of a movie. I could feel my arms rising, but about 10 seconds later I came out of it, and realized my arms never moved and were tight against my body under the covers.

So I did some more looking into as to why, and found out that one of the causes is irregular sleep or dramatic changes in lifestyle, both of which I had. So I again thought it was a strange phenomenon, but I was reluctant about trying to experience it again.

Also for both times it happened, I was on my back, which it happens roughly 70% of the time in that position.

This morning it happened again. I've been slowly getting sick (fever) from a lack of sleep and irregular sleep schedule over the past 2 days. The whole night I could barely sleep, I was constantly thinking about positive sceneries and analyzing the concept of onenesses. I had took a nap earlier that night, so I was naturally not tired.

So at about 6:30 am, my room was not dark, there is plenty of light, and I can hear all thats going on from my next door neighbor getting ready for work. This time I was laying on my side in the fetal position, NOT ASLEEP, I was just laying there relaxing. and for some really strange reason, I felt my thoughts were flowing through me. Not generating from me, but through me, directly from behind me. I instantly was thinking, hmmm. It would be bizarre if I got sleep paralysis right now, considering I have this new superstition about "presences",but it was a subtle thought. Within about a second later my hearing was starting to fade out into the same electronic-static overtone. I could feel my entire body getting that presence again and I was loosing feeling slowly until I was paralyzed. I didn't even bother trying to get out of it. I felt almost a subtle blow of wind around my body and head, until I could hear things going on next door that I picked up on, which snapped me out of it, brining circulation back to the rest of my body.

This time was much different. I had no feeling of terror, although my heart sped up. But overall, my thoughts flowing were positive, re-affirming what I was thinking throughout the night.

In my own opinion, Sleep Paralysis could be dysfunction in the brain that allows you to go out of body. And it can be caused from a lack of sleep. The presence and images are tricks of the mind from paranoia from losing control, but I have heard some rather frightening testimonies that say other-wise.

I am an extremely positive person, and rarely have negative thoughts in general, I would say since over the last month, although I do battle conformity to go on with my own lifestyle, in spite of status-quos and typical life goals people have.

If there is anyone that has had any positive SP experiences, I would love to hear them, I know it is terrifying for most people that have had them haunting them a large portion of their life, with strange instances occurring, but I feel there is more to them.

[edit on 25-5-2010 by juveous]

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 09:28 AM
link   
I don't know if it is SP or something else but I know if I take a nap on my back during the day there is a 75% chance I will "wake up" unable to move. I use quotations because when I wake up I am actually dreaming of being awake. Its weird though since the dream is actually just my normal sight of the room, its like my eyes are open and I can see my surroundings but I am not awake and I cannot move. The fact I can see my surroundings is what gets me every time since I think for a second I am awake. As soon as I try to move and realize I can't I usually get a tight feeling in my chest, my heart speeds up and I feel extremely vulnerable. Sometimes I panic but now I know what it is so I usually just let it go. Sometimes I can wake up by sending a shiver down my spine but its getting harder to do now so usually I am stuck like that until something exterior wakes me up. I sometimes have sensations of someone else in the room which really cranks up my paranoia. Luckily this hasn't happened recently since I never have a "good" experience when this happens.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 09:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Vicious Jones

I just find it really strange that people who do not self-induce sleep paralysis -but let it come naturally - come to an overwhelming census of terror and paranoia, usually followed by nothing good.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 11:08 AM
link   
I am a victim of sp as well and I have been studying it since I was a child. It is caused by the mind waking before the body. So what happens is you wake up conciously but your brain is still asleep. Hypnogogic hallucinations are very common so you were right not to look around. In my experience the terror builds slowly as you become aware you are frozen and then feel the presence. It's a natural phenomena so there's nothing to fear in fact astral projection is a lot easier to start from this state.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 11:09 AM
link   
reply to post by damwel

I reading this thread right now. It helps.

top topics

join