It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police attempt to ban England shirts during the world cup!!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 05:20 AM
link   
ok this issue has been in a few national papers recently and groups and pages have sprung up on facebook filled with angry british people.

ENGLAND shirts could be BANNED at pubs screening live World Cup matches.

The advice comes in a letter from the Metropolitan Police to pubs in Croydon, South London.

Among World Cup guidance, it suggests "dress code restrictions - eg no football shirts". It also urges using plastic glasses and door staff.

Pubs are not obliged to follow the advice, but it warns: "Police will not hesitate to use powers under the Licensing Act should we find you are not actively supporting the prevention of crime."

ok so its not law (yet) but pubs have been threatened with the law if they are found not trying to prevent crime...which apparently allowing the wearing of england shirts is now?

an england shirt doesnt cause violence or fighting...the people who usually fight over football matches will fight whatever clothes they have on.

my opinion is this has a hidden race agenda to it.

the plastic glasses and door staff are good ideas...but the banning of england shirts is just removing more fo our rights.

me and my friends are going to be in mexico during the world cup. we see the first 2 matches here in england...then go to mexico to see the rest...USA are in the same group as england and we are expecting the americans in our hotel to be fully supportive of their country just like we will be for ours...i dont get the urge to beat on someone for wearing the shirt of a team i dont support. im fully aware of the yobs who want to fight but they should be punished individualy.

opinions?

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 05:28 AM
link   
Come to south Africa to watch the soccer. There is no ban on any football team colours here.
In fact you should see all the people at work, partying, cars already carrying flags of their favourite teams.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 06:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Silicis n Volvo

England dont exactly have the best image in international football events though do they? They are reputed to be the worst football fans in the world because of the select few thousand who canot handle sportsmanship. Although i think its unfair to ban 1 countries football colours, it would be sensible for land-lords of pubs to implement the ban if they wish to as it can envoke trouble whether you accept it or not.

I say, wait til England get knocked out by Germany or someone like that then you'll see the violence start.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 06:33 AM
link   
reply to post by jrmcleod

And what the hell will wearing England shirts have to do with it?

People will be in England, supporting England.

If anything does kick off it'll have nothing to do with wearing England shirts.

Oh...and as for getting knocked out by Germany....
you obviously haven't had a look at the draw.

England will get to the semi's where we'll play Brazil...anything can happen in a semi-final but even though they aren't as good as in the past it will still be a hard game.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 06:57 AM
link   

I tell you nothing suprises me about Croydon. I went to school briefly there back in the day and it was like lala Land then. The Croydon police were funnier than the keystone cops then.

I don't like football but people should just have fun. I have seen football hooligans fighting of at Victoria station on the northbound victoria line AND they were not wearing any scarves or Football shirts.

Once again it is risk management gone wrong

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 07:04 AM
link   
This is a clever ploy to make people buy more replica england shirts. As anyone who is told to not buy an england shirt, who supports england, will want to now, go out and get one, to piss off the police and try get in the paper with a "they picked on me cos i wored an engerland shirt" style story.

*goes off to buy an engerland shirt

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 07:05 AM
link   

What a joke!!! Most hooliganism is committed by 'fans' who are not wearing their respective colours. And seeing as everyone is going to be supporting the same team, what difference is this going to make?

The police do not have a clue on this one.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 07:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by jrmcleod

England dont exactly have the best image in international football events though do they? They are reputed to be the worst football fans in the world because of the select few thousand who canot handle sportsmanship. Although i think its unfair to ban 1 countries football colours, it would be sensible for land-lords of pubs to implement the ban if they wish to as it can envoke trouble whether you accept it or not.

I say, wait til England get knocked out by Germany or someone like that then you'll see the violence start.

thats irrelevant...the wearing of england football shirts has nothing to do with it. those select few thousand will fight regardless of clothing...its not sensible...its human right revoking they basically just dont want to upset the foreigners

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 07:21 AM
link   
I think the plastic bottles and glass is a good idea but i'd like to see them try and stop me from wearing my England shirt.

Peace, Cooooome on England!

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 08:45 AM
link   
It's a farce.

The vast majority of serious hooligans would never wear an England top.

It's not about cares and concerns about hooliganism but rather PC bigotry and repression of any expression of English nationalism.

However, as much as I dislike drinking out of plastic glasses I can see the sense in that.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 09:00 AM
link   
I'll be wearing one of my England shirts regularly during the World Cup, I'd laugh if this is the straw that breaks the"loss of civil liberties camels" back, we'll look back fondly at the Shirt Riots, the start the revolution.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 10:22 AM
link   
reply to post by deltaalphanovember

Hi there deltaal, but not entirely true.

I support The Netherlands and i am NOT allowed to wear my Holland jersey to work. As a matter of fact, i was "given" a Bafoon top, which btw now belongs to someone else.

We are forced at work to wear Bafana tops, which is BS. I have supported Holland since i started loving the game. Same thing, i support the Gunners, not The Chiefs etc and with club football we don't have these issues, just this stupid Friday Bafana top issue.

Cheers Deltaalphanovember ;-)

Well, on topic. England guys deserves to wear their tops, anywhere and everywhere.

[edit on 5/18/2010 by qonone]

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 06:24 PM
link   
"i'd like to see them try and stop me from wearing my England shirt. "

Ha ha I think you've just confirmed the whole argument of the police

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 06:32 PM
link   
During the last big football tournament england were in (think it was euro), the street wardens were actually telling people to take down their flags and in some cases written cautions were handed out.
I love my country but there are some things here that really tug on my nasal hairs........it brings tears to my eyes .....but theyre tears of RAGE

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 07:05 PM
link   
Many establishments ban football shirts as part of their dress code, along with such things as trainers, baseball caps etc. because those clothes are often worn by the slightly more undesirable customers on a night out.

I think the police advised these pubs to enforce these dress codes for that reason, without thinking through the fact that there would be a disproportionately high number of people wearing football shirts during the World Cup - I don't think they were specifically targetting people wearing England shirts.

I don't think this is targetted at football hooligans, but rather the thugs that jump on the bandwagon every two years, get completely wasted watching the games and then go on a rampage through their town or city centre when England get knocked out.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 04:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Conspiracy Chicks fan !

I don't think this is targetted at football hooligans, but rather the thugs that jump on the bandwagon every two years, get completely wasted watching the games and then go on a rampage through their town or city centre when England get knocked out.

Which will still happen regardless if they have England top's on or not.

So what is the purpose of banning the tops?

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 04:50 AM
link   
Having worked in Croydon for a few years, I thought it was alright. Had a number of nights out and never had any trouble, cant see how suddenly donning an England shirt is gonna turn the town into violent thugs. Plastic cups is just sensible when you have large crowds filled into an area, like at a concert.

cant say i'll be wearing an England shirt, last one I had was for Euro 88 and chaifs a bit now

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 04:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Acidtastic
This is a clever ploy to make people buy more replica england shirts. As anyone who is told to not buy an england shirt, who supports england, will want to now, go out and get one, to piss off the police and try get in the paper with a "they picked on me cos i wored an engerland shirt" style story.

*goes off to buy an engerland shirt

You said "replica" which brings to mind a fake, or unofficial version of the real deal. Is this really a statement about wearing team colors, or wearing a "licensed/official" version of the team colors? Just a question about own own's who.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 05:04 AM
link   
This is yet another story being circulated by people who have become victims of Far Right fear mongering and now often seen on website such as Facebook and outlets such as the Daily Mail. It doesn't have any basis on reality.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 06:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Extreme Pilgrim

Not true, I was sat in a pub on Sunday enjoying a couple of pints with a mate of mine who just happens to be the landlord.

His pub has lots of England and, believe it or not, Leeds memorabilia on display at all times.

A couple of police officers came in and asked if they could have a word with my friend.
When he came back he told me that they had asked if he would take the England memorabilia down during the run up and during the World Cup as it is felt that it may upset other nationalities.
My friend politely refused at which point the police smiled, said that they didn't blame him but unfortunately they would probably have to come back again sometime in the future.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join