It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Undocumented student's arrest called part of 'civil rights disaster'

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by nickoli
There are two sides to this coin,I can see the valid arguements for both sides,since she was obviousely brought over as a child I doubt she has any semblance of a home to be deported to.

Well, since her criminal family helped acclimate her to her new home when she was 11, they can help acclimate her to her old home as an adult. They all must go.

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 04:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Wolf321

I wondered the same thing? Are her parents somehow legal now? I dont know anything about the process or the laws but it would seem that they too should be arrested as illegals.

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 04:42 PM
link   

reply to post by Wolf321

I wondered the same thing? Are her parents somehow legal now? I dont know anything about the process or the laws but it would seem that they too should be arrested as illegals.

They will probably pay a bond to stay out of jail until the immigration hearing which will probably be scheduled for after amnesty is doled out.

As for her , she will probably have to leave the US and apply for a work permit as a professional what with her degree and all and she will be back soon.

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 04:46 PM
link   
Well according to the link provided by the op she wont be going anywhere soon.

Colotl's legal problems started in late March when her car was stopped on the Kennesaw State campus. Born in Mexico but living in the United States since she was 11, she could not produce a driver's license, so she handed over as identification an expired passport from Mexico.

She was arrested the next day and turned over to immigration officials. She spent more than a month in the Etowah Detention Center in Alabama.

Friends came out in force and marched on campus in her defense. Earlier this month, she was released, and her deportation was deferred for a year, which will allow her to finish her studies. She hasn't returned to classes yet, but looks forward to earning her degree.

www.cnn.com...

Yes it does seem this will shape up to be a catalist for change in the immigration policys.

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 05:02 PM
link   
reply to post by nickoli

Of course this is the next big battle. And of course they will pass amnesty. They will back room deal and force this on America just like with Health Care.

"It's for your own good" they will say, and that we can't just kick these people out. The news will be filled with pictures and the stories of these poor kids who speak perfect english and just want an education. Those who don't care will be painted as monsters for wanting to send these 'seemingly' American illegals back to the hell hole of Mexico.

They are all a cancer on America. Some malignant, some benign. All, bad.

I say to hell with them all! (and by hell I mean Mexico.)

[edit on 16-5-2010 by Wolf321]

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 05:33 PM
link   
I liked the post I saw on CNN's board - they should merge Mexico into Texas - they could call it Texaco .....

I also agree with the posters that say this girl should be kicked out. The judge that ruled she can finish her education should be fired as aiding and abetting illegal immigration.

I also question about her parents - who she admits bought her to the US in the first place. Are they being kicked out too?

So she gets to finish a first class education at the expense of the US taxpayer, when regular citizens who will be contributing to the tax base for the rest of their lives can't get into college? What a messed up system.

As far as the earlier poster who said that Mexicans hate America and all it stands for - I'd suggest that you stay in Mexico. No one FORCES illegals to come go to the United States.

This woman broke the law and should be treated like the criminal she is - if an American citizen did the same thing while they were in college, likely they'd be in jail or on probation or heavily fined for doing this.

As far as all the bleeding hearts who are complaining about the fact that they have to produce a driver's license when police stop them for traffic infractions in Arizona - get a life. Every other country in the world requires you to produce ID and documentation when you are stopped by law enforcement officers. It's not racial profiling - it's common sense.

I have travelled throughout the United States, with an English accent, and always carry my documentation wherever I go. I don't care if someone gets suspicious and asks for my papers. I'm also a legal immigrant in Canada, and carry my Canadian Citizenship documentation and several other pieces of ID on me at all times.

I wonder if these same people bitching about police asking for ID have a problem with the liquor store asking them for ID when they buy alcohol?

Anyone who asks someone for ID should have the ability to report a person to INS if they can't produce the required ID.

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 05:36 PM
link   
United states had a chance to have a wall made back there in that old year of 1875. I mean I was talking to my friend at my out-house one night and he told me about laws and stuff, well laws are for people and yet some laws are like damnit dam , can not make the law damnit stand , o well

[edit on 16-5-2010 by AndersonLee]

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 05:36 PM
link   
It also seems that if she hasn't returned to classes after having her deportation deferred so she could continue classes, she should be deported immediately for not complying with the decision of the court.

What's the betting that Obama takes this high profile case, grants her a full Presidential pardon, and gives her and her parents citizenship in a ceremony at the White House?

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by ^anubis^
Aren't black people doing the same thing going on welfare and not doing any work while we pay for their things? and they are here legally LMAO

Are you joking? Really?

America is in a racial slump right now. We still have a few that don't understand that our racial differences are only skin deep. It's alright, those that are behind will catch up eventually.

[edit on 16-5-2010 by Styki]

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 05:40 PM
link   
I understand your point and I agree illegal immigration is a problem,but the people at fault are the gov they allowed this to continue on for years and years and now its become the complicated issue that it is. This case proves my point. This girl was brought here as a child she had no choice in the matter and later on in life she had no way to gain citizenship because she was already here.

There has to be a way to seperate the wheat from the chaff and the first step is sealing the borders plus punishing the employers.

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Even with the statute of limitations being 7 years, she is not in the US legally.

She is breaking the law EVERY DAY that she stays in the USA illegally - not just the one day that she entered the country.

It's a Federal offence to stay in the country illegally, which would mean that statute of limitations has not expired unless she has left the country for that seven year period.

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Wow, I can't believe how hateful some of you are being! If anything, I think she deserves our sympathy for the awful situation her parents put her in. How can you blame her, when it was her parents who brought her here, without her consent, at only 11 years old?
You're all making it out like she's the single reason for all of the problems in this country, when she's just been trying to quietly live her life as best she can.
By the way, it's not as easy as you might think to become a U.S. citizen, especially for someone that's 21 or younger. It does involve a bit more than filling out a form and singing the national anthem.

Just have a look around the USCIS site.

I just think...perhaps we should consider the situation a bit more carefully, maybe try to see things from her point of view, rather than demanding deportation without a second thought.

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 05:43 PM
link   
reply to post by skull_bones

The thing about any system is that it has the potential for abuse. Every system has it's flaws; innocent people go to jail, people without funds get passed up on receiving aid. The problem is that we have no solution to these problems right now. The best we can hope for in any system is that it does more good than harm.

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 05:44 PM
link   

I understand your point and I agree illegal immigration is a problem,but the people at fault are the gov they allowed this to continue on for years and years and now its become the complicated issue that it is. This case proves my point. This girl was brought here as a child she had no choice in the matter and later on in life she had no way to gain citizenship because she was already here.

There has to be a way to seperate the wheat from the chaff and the first step is sealing the borders plus punishing the employers.

Thats like saying dont blame the burglar for robbing your house because he was just trying to make some extra money, its your fault you left the door unlocked.

[edit on 16-5-2010 by skull_bones]

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Astrithr
Wow, I can't believe how hateful some of you are being! If anything, I think she deserves our sympathy for the awful situation her parents put her in. How can you blame her, when it was her parents who brought her here, without her consent, at only 11 years old?

There is some truth in what you have brought up. Yes, a child doesn't necessarily have a choice in being brought here illegally. What about when that child is a teen or legal adult? Can they still not be held accountable for knowing their parents and presence is illegal and not say something?

Perhaps we should start awarding kids who turn their illegal parents in. Offer them the opportunity to stay in the us in either a foster home, orphanage or be adopted, or if they go home with their parents via deportation, we will at least allow them to come back in legally one day.

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 05:51 PM
link   
reply to post by babybunnies

At most colleges classes have already ended. I don't think she should be expected to take her finals after missing out on a month of school.

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wolf321

There is some truth in what you have brought up. Yes, a child doesn't necessarily have a choice in being brought here illegally. What about when that child is a teen or legal adult? Can they still not be held accountable for knowing their parents and presence is illegal and not say something?

Perhaps we should start awarding kids who turn their illegal parents in. Offer them the opportunity to stay in the us in either a foster home, orphanage or be adopted, or if they go home with their parents via deportation, we will at least allow them to come back in legally one day.

I think that once you have been in the situation for so long it become harder to turn yourself in. If she was to walk up and apply for citizenship already being in the US illegally they would most likely deport her. With that taken into consideration, it's understandable that she would not turn herself in. She was just trying to live her life under difficult circumstances.

[edit on 16-5-2010 by Styki]

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 05:59 PM
link   
The hidden truth in this matter is that we must allow this sort of thing to occasionally happen. The barbarians are always at the gate, they know for the most part we've got a great life (relative), and we know it. You can't defend 300 million or so people and their land from roughly 6.5 billion people without throwing them a bone every once in a while to maintain the hope that they too might get on the other side. We lock up the cookie too tightly and they just might get a hammer and break it open.

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Styki
I think that once you have been in the situation for so long it become harder to turn yourself in. If she was to walk up and apply for citizenship already being in the US illegally they would most likely deport her. With that taken into consideration, it's understandable that she would not turn herself in. She was just trying to live her life under difficult circumstances.

More reason to start incentivizing illegal children to turn themselves (and their parents) in. Remove the incentives to stay, offer the opportunity to return.

I don't think anyone who came here illegally as an adult should ever be allowed back in. Their children on the other hand, were innocent and if they didn't stay past adulthood, as in this case, come on back...the legal way that is.

[edit on 16-5-2010 by Wolf321]

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 06:03 PM
link   
Sorry but none of you even know the real situation here. None of you have any idea if this girl got grants and what not to attend college. And it isnt just a color thing like some of you seem to think, I am not white and I was not able to get any grants or anything for college when I was younger. Some of you seem to think just because someone isnt white that they can magically just float through life and have everything given to them. Not the case. Nothing has ever been given to me.

I do however not agree with and am definitely not for all the illegals coming into this country. I live in CA believe me I see it every single day, spanish is like becoming the main language spoken here! But this girl came here when she was 11 I doudt it was her idea to come here or anything, she was probably brought here by her parents.

[edit on 16-5-2010 by jeasahtheseer]

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join