It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I think many of the people here are illegals

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 12:40 PM
link   
I've noticed that in this particular sub-forum that many of the people who come here can not read english. I say this because threads are made and posts are written, and many of the replies have little or nothing to do with the original post.

Seriously, I don't understand it. It's english. It's well written. What is presented is clear. And yet many of these people post in these threads talking about something completely unrelated to the topic of the thread.

So I've come to the conclusion that these people must be illegals because they don't seem to understand English. Oddly enough these same people post in English which just further confuses me as to why they can not read, but thus far my conclusions are that they simply don't understand English and just got lucky throwing words on a white background that at the very least can actually be read.

Has anyone else noticed this issue? There should be an English competency test here on ATS so these people aren't allowed to post anymore.

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 12:44 PM
link   
reply to post by SpectreDC

What makes you think they are illegal aliens?

You do know that there are people from many countries who post on ATS correct? You should encourage them to better their english, not call them names for the use of broken english.

Please do everyone who is for illegal immigration reform a favor and not post anything remotely resembling the subject.

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 12:47 PM
link   
I hardly think there are illegals.
More like multi national entities.

Lots of people from different countries.

Most of the time I just see non-english speaking people clarify by saying, "My english is bad."

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Wow, what a snarky OP. ATS is on the internet, open to people around the world. Bashing someone for poor English is pretty lousy. Why don't you try posting in another language and see how far you get?

[edit on 14-5-2010 by InvisibleAlbatross]

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 12:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Miracle Man

See, here is an example. As one can note in my original post, I never mention broken english. In fact, quite the contrary, I mention they post completely clear and coherent posts in English. But this individual ignores that and infers I'm talking about people who type with broken english, when I'm talking about people who can not post on topic to what the thread is about.

Apparently the tongue-in-cheek humor goes over peoples heads sometimes.

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 12:51 PM
link   

You are aware that people of any nationality can post off-topic, even Americans?

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by havok
I hardly think there are illegals.
More like multi national entities.

Lots of people from different countries.

Most of the time I just see non-english speaking people clarify by saying, "My english is bad."

Originally posted by InvisibleAlbatross
Wow, what a snarky OP. ATS is on the internet, open to people around the world. Bashing someone for poor English is pretty lousy. Why don't you try posting in another language and see how far you get?

[edit on 14-5-2010 by InvisibleAlbatross]

I thank both of you for illustrating the point I'm trying to make. Because you both did EXACTLY I posted in the OP, even though neither of you seemed to have read the OP. And while you posted in English, the only possible explanation to you not responding to the point being made is that you don't actually understand the English language.

Either that or you just can't read well.

link   
From the term "illegals" I presume that you are referring to the slang word for illegal immigrant, and from the usage of the term is predominant use is within the USA.

Therefore that all people here who are just quipping, trolling, one lining or just have bad grammar and spelling, are illegal Latinos.

The sub text of this post is that the USA immigration problem is now so bad that they are starting to take over ATS also!!.

Your multiple use of the the word English makes me chuckle though. As English is spoken, written and originates in England, not the USA, nor is it native to this land.

Not to mention that in my experience of crisscrossing the USA most normal Americans, can neither speak or write English, but some odd bastardised version of it similar to Creole or Patios, or just plain lazy. I cringe every time I hear one of you use the word "WARDER" instead of Water. you do know there is a T there!?

In closing, those in glass houses should not throw stones.

link   
"I think"

Thats where you went wrong.

1% think another 7% think they think, and the rest would rather die
than think. Guess which category I "THINK" your in!_javascript:icon('
')

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by InvisibleAlbatross

You are aware that people of any nationality can post off-topic, even Americans?

Okay, so considering you're incapable of inferring what I'm trying to point out I'll spell it out for you.

Many of the people vehemently against illegals seem to come into topics that have nothing to do with illegal immigration and yet post about it. Thus, I can only assume they are illegals because they can not read English (I mean, no one that is an American can understand English, right?).

Let me ask you this; do you think Stephen Colbert is serious with everything he says, or does he use SATIRE (HINT HINT) and other forms of obfuscation to deliver his point?

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Just as a sub post. Do you not find it ironic that the "Lingua Franca" of the USA is that of a foreign nation. yet this post here is deriding the linguistic skills of foreign people?

Maybe all American born people should be taking the ESL also, and not just "the "illegals"

By the way, I am also aware that my grammar and spelling is not always perfect. But as I am from England (And that IS England, and not meaning all of the United Kingdom, including Scotland Wales and Ireland. They have their own languages), I can say that I speak the language of my country; English.

[edit on 14/505/1010 by JakiusFogg]

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Yes I admit I just posted off topic, I'm not illegal I just jumped the gun...
but I still feel really stupid. I usually read everything before posting, but when you are doing three things at once... but no I don't think alot of illegals come here. it would just seem that they would have more things to worry about, then the people on Above Top Secret.

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 01:07 PM
link   

I don't really care for your explanations.

In your head what you typed may have seemed clever, but really you just come off as a complete ass.

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Strange thread to be sure.

The one's that post in the manner in which you're speaking are more than likely products of the United States public school system. They have the attention span of a gnat. The one's that are from different countries are going to look at whatever the issue is differently from you or I.

But in their defense, how exactly do you expect them to respond on topic when the title of your post and the post itself have little if anything to do with each other? Off topic? Your post was off topic from the title!!

And to make matters even worse, when you use tounge-in-cheek humor to make a point about peoples' intelligence in general, you end up insulting said intelligence. That's not a very nice way to play with your brothers and sisters young man.

Speaking of off topic, MODS!!! please move this somewhere else, this has NOTHING to do with politics.

Man, you're batting a thousand today aren't ya buddy

Peace

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by JakiusFogg
Just as a sub post. Do you not find it ironic that the "Lingua Franca" of the USA is that of a foreign nation. yet this post here is deriding the linguistic skills of foreign people?

Maybe all American born people should be taking the ESL also, and not just "the "illegals"

By the way, I am also aware that my grammar and spelling is not always perfect. But as I am from England (And that IS England, and not meaning all of the United Kingdom, including Scotland Wales and Ireland. They have their own languages), I can say that I speak the language of my country; English.

[edit on 14/505/1010 by JakiusFogg]

Can I just point out that 'Ireland' is NOT part of the United Kingdom. Although Northern Ireland is considered by many to be part of the United Kingdom.

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 01:20 PM
link   

I don't think that the majority of ATS members who post here, whose english language skills are somewhat lacking are "illegals" as you indicated, but are actually persons from some of the 225 countries that encompass ATS membership. It is certainly possible however that a few fall into the illegal category.

I am an American citizen, and have been all my life. My great grandparents immigrated here in the 1800's as many Americans have, and all went thru the legal immigration process in place at that time.

I am 100% in favor of legal immigration, with some limitations, and do not support those who decide to "invade" our country illegally, no matter what the reason was for their leaving their country, as I have stated in other forums here. Watching a television program a couple of weeks ago consisting of a number of new and several years here legal immigrants to America from all over the world, was an eye-opener to me as to how they feel about these immigration issues, and the hardships they have endured to do it the right way, but all seemed
to be happy with the change.

Having lived in a a foreign country previously for one year, several years ago, I did learn to look at things from another perspective, one of which was to never criticize anyone again for not speaking proper English. My language speaking abilities in their language at that time were rough, but I got by and gradually learned it while living there; The number one
thing I learned, is that people within the country were appreciative of the fact that I at least tried to communicate in their language, although
it may have only been at the same level as that of a young child speaking their language.

Do I think that if a person is going to live in a country whether it is the US or anywhere else, that they should learn the language primarily
spoken there? Absolutely.

Do I have any problem with a person who is attempting communication on ATS, who may be from a foreign country, who may not just happen
to speak, or in this case write perfect English?

No, and neither should you my friend.....

[edit on 14-5-2010 by manta78]

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 01:22 PM
link   

I was going to write a very long-winded, pedantic post, picking apart your OP and ridiculing it in a variety of humorous ways and hope that everyone got the joke and thought I was witty and verbose.

I've read through though and... I'm just too tired and I don't think everyone would get it.

S&F

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Taupin Desciple

But in their defense, how exactly do you expect them to respond on topic when the title of your post and the post itself have little if anything to do with each other? Off topic? Your post was off topic from the title!!

I expect people to read the post for which the threads topic is highlighted in.

Apparently, I was expecting to much.

And my title was not off topic to my post. I said jokingly that those incapable of responding on topic must be illegals because they seem to have a problem reading english, although ironically they have no trouble typing it.

@manta78, thank you for proving my point

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 01:30 PM
link   

I don't really care for your explanations.

In your head what you typed may have seemed clever, but really you just come off as a complete ass.

If being a complete ass is highlighting the fact that many people don't seem capable of competent reading comprehension abilities here on ATS, then I want to be a complete ass. I yern to be one.

[edit on 14-5-2010 by SpectreDC]

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 01:39 PM
link   
You get mad dudes lol

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join