It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The problem I have with the TV show 'UFO Hunters'

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 08:32 PM
link   
I have only seen one season. I like the show alright, I mean it is entertaining, but I feel it may be a bit disingenuous. For example, on the title cards they show a "case file number" like "Case #1003254" with a seal that resembles the FBI seal. Are these actual case files? I seriously doubt it. It seems that they just came up with random numbers to give the episodes some sort of air of officialdom. Then the use of a seemingly government seal on the title cards furthers this false air of officialdom.

Unless I am wrong, in which case, I will admit it, but does anybody know if the so called case file numbers correspond to actual cases, or what we are being led to believe are FBI cases? I don't know about the following seasons, if they use the same format or not. Some clarification on this issue would be nice.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 08:52 PM
link   
I think they have these numbers to add drama. You can see this from the start of the show. The way the cases are presented is very exaggerated.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 09:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Jack Jouett

The case numbers are only UFO hunters case numbers, I've seen nobody else use the same case number, FBI or otherwise.

Too bad the show's already been canceled now that you're getting around to watching it. I liked the series it spun off from better, "UFO files". I just re-watched all of those.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 09:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Arbitrageur

The case numbers are only UFO hunters case numbers, I've seen nobody else use the same case number, FBI or otherwise.

I figured as much, b ut they still use what looks like the FBI seal. I mean if the cases can't stand on their own merit I don't know why they would even have a show, just for the theatrics.

That reminds me of the other problem I have with the show. It shows the UFO Hunters "headquarters" and it's an astronomical observatory. Come on. Really? Are they really pushing that? I mean if they can't even be honest with the mundane aspects of their operation, then how are we supposed to examine the actual UFO cases they are presenting.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 09:14 PM
link   
haha great point. I was under the impression that they do that simply for effect. The numbers may as well be 1-10, for the amount of cases they actually have.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 09:26 PM
link   

The first season was legit, they went around and talked to eye witnesses and tried out different explanations of that that witness saw. They did actual calculations and explored cases with a spoonful of much needed skepticism.

Then something happened a while back, they started doing tabloid episodes about Greys. Suddenly they jumped from "What are UFOs" to "Alien babies and underground bases" ... I haven't watched it in about a year now, I imagine the show is still peddling absurd nonsense.

For once I want a UFO show that doesn't make witnesses and believers look like total nuts and that uses actual scientific methods... but no, all we ever get is tabloid nonsense and mounds of stinky pseudoscience.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 09:29 PM
link   
Its just case #s for the show itself - Maybe its how Bill Birnes and crew numbered them or something.

I wouldnt over think that aspect too much. Its not meant to be anything mysterious.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 09:39 PM
link   
The problem I had with the show is they get told what to and what not to say and report, does anyone remember the case which claimed (long before the show was aired) where they supposedly discovered an anomaly laying I think it was 8ft below the edge of a grave yard I think it was the Hudson Valley.

A large triangle which was giving off energy, it had been mapped with the best ground penetrating radar, there was a huge thread on it here on ATS before the show even got air time, apparently what they were going to do was dig it up it got quite a few on here really excited because other Ufologists where involved and it was going to shed a lot of information on it.

Then apparently the Military got wind of it one way or another, but they insisted this show is about the truth and we wont be stopped etc

I would love to use the search engine to find it, but the ATS search engine in not my friend, and even when you do find the information they quickly become 404 jokes, sprouting some nonsense usually backed up when asked by a sinister Moderator with many names and excuses for being a member yet banned yet etc the other 5 excuses given for why things vanish from this site, or why it's always the same MOD who pops up with the explanation, why not a 404 forum where we can make up our own minds.

Then when it did go to air the anomaly got 45 seconds of attention and no mention of anything being mentioned, that's when I realised it was more of the same BS with them only talking about cases they could offer up explanations for, the only member of the team I respect is Bill, he still fights the good fight, which reminds me I have 3- 35mm negatives to send him of a white object caught in three frames showing movement with a huge tree for reference, I just need to get my own copies of the actual pictures , for my files.

It cant ever be considered a fair investigation if others are pulling the strings, what would be good however and would get my attention, would be a one off episode with what they where told they couldn't show us, the stuff off the cutting room floor so to speak, if anyone had any sense they would have gathered it all up and kept it.

The show itself is nothing but entertainment disguised as a serious there have been a couple which were good of like minded friends always do well then vanish without explanation? these kind of shows that come along with no details given in advance always seem more genuine IMO yet they disappear once their content is broadcast for one show or two.

Sad.

[edit on 13/5/2010 by azzllin]

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by -Blackout-
Its just case #s for the show itself - Maybe its how Bill Birnes and crew numbered them or something.

I wouldnt over think that aspect too much. Its not meant to be anything mysterious.

I don't think it's mysterious at all, I think it's a big lie for dramatic effect. Like when somebody like Greer claims he's got sources in the intel community feeding him information.

The cases are six digits or more. So they have hundreds of thousands of cases in their files? I don't think so. That whole crew doesn't really strike me as a the researcher types. I know real researchers and they would never present any false information. You lose credibility when you start to sensationalize.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 09:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by azzllin

It cant ever be considered a fair investigation if others are pulling the strings...

I'm willing to give Bill Birnes and crew a pass if they some how lost content control to the History Channel execs.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 10:00 PM
link   

I still think its over-analyzing.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 10:00 PM
link   
I really doubt that the case file number actually given corresponds with anything. It's probably chosen pretty much randomly. As for the symbol. It probably came out of the art department where the show's produced. It's TV they've got to build it up a little. If the opening credits showed their actual research department and their actual case numbers it wouldn't be very dramatic. It wouldn't make for good TV.

Adding a little to make something more appealing to the public is pretty common practice. I'm surprised that this show has bothered you enough to actually say something about it.

Have you ever eaten fast food? Ever notice that what you're served NEVER looks any where near as good as the picture on the menu. The photographer makes models of the food out of plastic and paints it to make it look REALLY REALLY GOOD.

Photo Credit - Carl's Jr.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/30592ea3ceef.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 10:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by -Blackout-

I still think its over-analyzing.

Saying that it is over-analyzing is essentially saying that content doesn't matter. So? It's cool for them to just make things up? Per haps the entire show is fictitious.

Here is a still of one of the title cards by the way. That is clearly a rip off of the FBI seal. If these aren't actual FBI case files, then why put the FBI seal on there?

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 10:15 PM
link   
Let us never forget Bill Birnes telling that 1 young man that he was a hybrid!

When Bill's partner reamed him out about it- "Bill, you can't just go around telling people they're hybrids!" I almost screamed in laughter. The sad thing about thisman is that he really does believe that the kid was a hybrid.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 10:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by spinalremain
Let us never forget Bill Birnes telling that 1 young man that he was a hybrid!

When Bill's partner reamed him out about it- "Bill, you can't just go around telling people they're hybrids!" I almost screamed in laughter. The sad thing about thisman is that he really does believe that the kid was a hybrid.

lol, yeah Bill Birnes seems too eager in assuming that each case was indeed relevant to flying saucers and aliens. I was beginning to think that if he took off those aviator glasses his eyes would be black, huge and almond shaped!

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 10:24 PM
link   
reply to post by jymmyjaymes

He takes them off. When he does he cannot stop blinking. He looks like he's been up for 3 days, railing coc aine to stay awake and search for saucers.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 10:28 PM
link   
reply to post by jymmyjaymes

He wore those glasses because he has eye issues with bright lights etc.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 10:29 PM
link   
reply to post by spinalremain

I noticed that too. Must be some kind of nervous twitch

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 10:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jack Jouett
reply to post by spinalremain

I noticed that too. Must be some kind of nervous twitch

Yeah it has to be. I am light sensitive myself and I wear shades almost all the time when my headaches flare up, but my eyes don't twitch like that.

I would have liked the show much more if he wasn't on it. he was way too over the top, which by itself is ok, but he never has anything to back his claims up. They're just empty outlandish claims. I think he was only on the show for the entertainment value. People in the field are familiar with him already too. Hes an editor for UFO magazine and has been around for quite some time reagrding UFOs.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 10:43 PM
link   

3. Why does Bill Birnes wear sunglasses on the show? Again, an easy one to answer. It's oh, so simple. He is told to wear them. Period. When filming first started and Bill was asked to be on the show, he was taken by surprise [see FAQ 2]. He was nearing the end of four years of law school, and reading the small print all day every day and into the night was really hurting his eyes. He finally went to see an eye doctor and had some laser surgery for macular degeneration, probably caused by diabetes, but he's not been diagnosed because we don't have health insurance. Still, eyeballs are strained and he was given several different kinds of noxious eyedrops to use.

See #3 for full story on Bill Birnes' eye issue

[edit on 13-5-2010 by -Blackout-]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join