It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS members files ever concerned authorities?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 11:37 AM
link   
It is just a question that is bothering me and i would really appreciate an answer from someone entitled to do so. Not only me, i believe that many members here on ATS would appreciate an answer to this question

Let me at first formulate a bit of an introduction to this thread and after that i will get straight to the point.

I strongly believe that many websites wouldn't get the notoriety they have at the moment if an average individual was to be behind them. Websites like twitter , facebook , myspace . These are only a few of the www biggest names.

It is not relevant to mention that i don't find any of the websites above useful or interesting in any possible way . Aggressive offline commercial ( at some of the most powerful tv stations in the world) is what made them popular and used worldwide.

Everyone who posts on them, or even here on ATS is doing authorities worldwide a big favour, your thoughts and actions are just one click away from them. It's never been this easy before.

Our mind is probably our biggest treasure and now they have a gateway to it.

All of those sites in case of a letter from authorities will unconditionally provide all of the data asked .

PM''s or U2U's , mails , ip address from where to post was made ,everything.

Facebook , myspace , twitter , yahoo even have something of the kind " unfortunately on the downloadable version of messenger we don't have access at the conversation , but the messages exchanged can be saved in the users computer if he opts to do that ( just like a push to break in someone's pc ) . The conversations exchanged in the web version of the messenger are stored for a number of ... months "

We all know how many abuses are made around the world and how many are called terrorists in an instance, hell, there was a thread about some ATS members being something of a danger.

Nowadays terrorism can be used as a weapon against one that thinks to much or asks to many questions.

I am more than sure that websites like facebook and twitter were more than happy to pass entire files of users to authorities without proper investigating on their own and without the members ever suspecting anything.

I noticed that ATS have this on their privacy policy :
"We reserve the right to disclose any personally identifiable information associated with your account and/or posting history as required by law and when we believe that disclosure is necessary to protect our rights and/or comply with a judicial proceeding, court order, or legal process served on The Above Network, LLC. "

The question is : were you ever asked to do that , ever received something like a legal subpoena and did you do it ?

I believe that we as members that post daily ( more or less) our thoughts have the right to know and at the same time we will very much appreciate it.

No laws will be broken if no names or usernames are mentioned and this way no "investigation is compromised " can be invoked

[edit on 10-5-2010 by charlie_the_loafer]

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 12:10 PM
link   
I think it is more for the person or persons who say things that are threatening to do bodily harm to people...say the President or make blatant threats of violence against someone or their respective government. For example.....about a year ago...there was a member who many of us including the MODS that this member was making some bizarre statement as though he was going to do some harm to himself or his family. I seem to remember a statement such as he was reported to the proper authorities. I think that's all it is about.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 12:12 PM
link   
I was on some other site where the site owner told us that indeed that sort of thing happened during when his site was based in some other country. Ever hear of hipforums? Its a freedom of speech promoting hippie site. I be on there sometimes. It's almost as big as ATS in terms of members. It was by that site to where I first learned of ATS.

O, on that site the owner told us that it was based on someone threating the president.

[edit on 10-5-2010 by Tormentations]

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tormentations

O, on that site the owner told us that it was based on someone threating the president.

[edit on 10-5-2010 by Tormentations]

Imagine how much work the guys at facebook had when they gave the files of 1 mil users praying for Obama's death

[edit on 10-5-2010 by charlie_the_loafer]

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 12:38 PM
link   
While looking at a missing person site I found where a guy had killed his wife and the body has never been found. The murderer belived that shape shifting reptilians were everywhere. I bet he posted here. On this site there are a few who believe this. I sincerly hope that the FBI has gotten their names. If people are delluded enough to spout off about imagined aliens they are capable of serious crimes. I am sure the FBI has my name, since I am against the war.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 12:47 PM
link   
As this thread is bound to get some mod action, I have 2 quick questions relating to this topic....

Have there been any cases so far, where the authorities have requested information on any of the members?
And another quickie, is it policy to inform a member, if some agency is asking for their information?

thankings

[edit on 10/5/2010 by Acidtastic]

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by earthdude

I understand your point perfectly and i agree with you. What you stated points out what the authorities role should be, protect us from dangers and in some cases people who tend to believe that kind of stuff can be dangerous , but i'm not generalizing by any means

But it's long since the role of authorities was to protect us, and nowadays it seems that there are more in service of the one in power than of the average people, creating a gap this way that it's not helpful for anyone

When i wrote this thread i was referring more like subpoenas that came for people like you that are "against the war" as you said , or anything alike

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Acidtastic
is it policy to inform a member, if some agency is asking for their information?

I don't think that on any website in the world you will be informed , if they asked your file they will start something like an investigation on you , a bigger file, and the last thing they want is you to know about it , so that your behavior will change

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 12:50 PM
link   
I have known lots of folks on this site who are considered "prodigious" researchers. Most of these people have been contacted by government agents of one type or another. Often, the government agent is a member here at ATS who wants to help blow the whistle (or, so they claim), but have to be careful about what they say. So, in the end you get fed information that you cannot provide a source for because you don't betray that trust.

But what this does for you is tell you that you are on the right track. And sometimes you can know something, then build a case around it from a different angle.

Other times, you get someone who isn't from this site, but was given a "heads up" by someone and they picked up on you.

It is these types of interactions which make me absotlutely resolute in my beliefs and understandings. I do not expect others to share my view, as they have not had my experiences.

ETA: there is a good chance that some of these experiences may provide an opportunity for me to share some unknown information about the Gulf Oil spill.
I am awaiting clarification.

[edit on 10-5-2010 by bigfatfurrytexan]

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by earthdude
While looking at a missing person site I found where a guy had killed his wife and the body has never been found. The murderer belived that shape shifting reptilians were everywhere. I bet he posted here. On this site there are a few who believe this. I sincerly hope that the FBI has gotten their names. If people are delluded enough to spout off about imagined aliens they are capable of serious crimes. I am sure the FBI has my name, since I am against the war.

You hope the FBI has the names of people who think reptilians might be real? Do you think the FBI should also have the names of every Christian who believes in a race of demons cast down from another world that are living on earth and are fighting the creator and humans themselves to control humanity? What kind of thought police do you suggest should be out there? And you are sure the FBI has your name just because you are against the war? WTF? Maybe they have your name for some different reason

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 01:53 PM
link   

So if you have a wild imagination you are capable of serious crime?

Thats more retarded than reptilians.

[edit on 10-5-2010 by Goethe]

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Serious crimes, or rather "serious crimes", are often committed by people who are able to understand what is going on. Level headed, calculating, smart enough to create a situation with which to manipulate.

Other than that, "serious crimes" are perpetrated by people who are overcome with emotion and logic fails.

There is nothing in being a little kooky that makes you more prone to crime. Disturbing the public peace by talking loud and crazy? Maybe, but that is hardly "serious crime".

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Goethe

So if you have a wild imagination you are capable of serious crime?

Thats more retarded than reptilians.

[edit on 10-5-2010 by Goethe]

Yes that is retarded. I agree. I still think if a cop wants a record of nutty behaviour he will find it here. I am sure they have used things that have been posted here. I hope they do keep a nut list and yeah, i am on it.

new topics

top topics

join