It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Carl Sagan Knew UFOs Are Real, Confidant Reveals!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 11:41 PM
link   
Renowned astronomer, astrophysicist and pillar of modern space science Dr. Carl Sagan revealed to Dr. J. Allen Hynek that he believed UFOs were real. Sagan said to Hynek, that he knew UFOs were real but could not talk publicly about the matter and possibly risk the loss of academic funding.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/4eb1693f633f.jpg[/atsimg]

May 7, 2010 -- Renowned astronomer and astrophysicist Dr. Carl Sagan revealed to Dr. J. Allen Hynek that he believed UFOs were real but avoided any public statements to prevent the loss of academic research funding. In an interview with research journalist and author Paola Leopizzi-Harris (www.paolaharris.com...) she told ZlandCommunications: “My recollection is that Hynek said it was backstage of one of the many Johnny Carson Tonight shows Sagan did. He basically said (to Hynek) in 1984, ‘I know UFOs are real, but I would not risk my research (College) funding, as you do, to talk openly about them in public.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/ad6b5c8abc4f.jpg[/atsimg]Dr. J. Allen Hynek

This startling revelation about Carl Sagan, one of this century’s most esteemed scientists and writers, has now been made public by Paola Leopizzi-Harris, a former associate of Dr. Allen J. Hynek who worked with him from 1980 to 1985. Dr. J. Allen Hynek served as a civilian scientific consultant to the U.S. Air Force Project Blue Book from 1952 to 1969, initially taking a very critical and skeptical position on anything related to the reality of UFOs. In one of his own reports he stated: "I had started out as an outright 'debunker,' taking great joy in cracking what seemed at first to be puzzling cases. I was the arch-enemy of those 'flying saucer groups and enthusiasts' who very dearly wanted UFOs to be interplanetary.” (Hynek, J. Allen. "The Hynek UFO Report". Dell Publishing Co. 1977)

After leaving Project Blue Book - the U.S. Air Force’s pseudo-investigatory public relations scheme on UFOs, Hynek later wrote: "Now, however, documentation which puts the UFO-U.S. government controversy in quite a new light has become available. The (UFO) authors have made revealing use of documents released through the mechanism of the Freedom of Information Act and other data which have been made available to them… which show that the CIA and NSA protestations of innocence and lack of interest in UFOs are nothing short of prevarication." Hynek went on to say: "For the government to continue to maintain that UFOs are nonexistent in the face of the documents already released and of other cogent evidence presented in this book is puerile and in a sense an insult to the American people." ("The UFO Cover-Up." Fireside books, Simon & Schuster 1984). Hynek’s credentials are indeed impressive, having consulted on the Stephen Spielberg movie 'Close Encounters'. As well he presented a paper on UFOs at the UN in 1978.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/83626b19adcc.jpg[/atsimg]

In a statement at the 1968 Congressional Hearings before the House Committee on Science and Astronautics - U.S. House of Representatives Carl Sagan stated: “As I understand what the committee would like from me, is a discussion of the likelihood of intelligent extraterrestrial life… clearly it is the hypothesis that unidentified objects are of extraterrestrial origin which the committee must have in mind. I'm delighted to tell about contemporary scientific thinking along these lines, but let me begin by saying that I do not think the evidence is at all persuasive, that UFO's are of intelligent extraterrestrial origin...” (files.ncas.org...)

Source: www.prweb.com...

Hopnestly, I really knew much about or looked into Carl Sagan. Well, that changes with this article. It goes on for some bit all about him and his work/views. Pretty impressive.

I have no doubt in my mind he told Congress one thing but believe another. Enjoy.

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 02:52 AM
link   
Hi!

I always found it a bit strange, how vehement Sagan avoided to become associated with those people who seriously thought about potential extraterrestrial origins of the UFOs.

Reading your post now, Sagans behavior makes sense. And in fact, your finding affirms, what I wrote just yesterday in another thread:

IMO, the final proof that we're not alone in this universe will be a paradigm-shift very much like the realization, that our earth isn't flat and the sun isn't circling around us. Today, we look pitiful back to those who could really believe, that earth was flat and the center of the universe (and of course, of creation...)

But we have to understand, that back in those days, the question if earth was flat, wasn't just a scientific one. It also was a political question. Because those who postulated that the earth was flat and the center of the universe, also claimed to be the surrogates of god. Doubting in earth's flatness also meant doubting the legitimacy of those who claimed to know and to do god's will.

You know what happened to those miserable ones who were found to be all too heretic - if they weren't burned like Giordano Bruno, they were put to silence like Galileo Gallilei.

Today, it seems like as if those days are long gone. But still today a scientist is in danger to lose all his credibility if he seriously postulates the possibility of extraterrestrial life (and not just microbes - and to think about, that maybe they've been already here - unthinkable!!!).

And there's a reason for it.

Because as in those long gone days of the so called "dark age", it isn't really about religion or science. It's about politics, it's about power.

To postulate, that there's an extraterrestrial life, probably a high developped alien civilization means thinking about the possibility, that there could be something that's migthier than TPTB. And that's heretic.

Ok, the times have changed a bit, today, nobody would get burned for claiming that there maybe are powers mightier than TPTB. It just can happen, that someone has an accident or stuff like that, nothing serious.

Seriously - I highly doubt, that there will be an official disclosure in the way we would like it to happen: Obama in the prime-time-news welcoming a delegation of aliens on the lawn of the whitehouse, shaking hands with their leader, looking in the cameras and saying: "It's been a small step for them [out of their spacecrafts] but it will be a giant leap for mankind."

It won't happen like that. It will happen in smaller amounts, piece by piece, small enough that mankind can swallow it.

It will very much be like when earth lost it's flatness: It happened gently and impalpably.

And one day, people laughed when they heard someone talking about those days when people believed, earth was flat.

"Of course we're not alone!"

just keep your eyes open and listen, how the times change...

[edit on 9/5/10 by Peloquin]

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 04:17 AM
link   
reply to post by anon72

Anon72.....

Amongst other things, Harris has supported the hoaxer Antonio Urzi, published reports & pictures about "aliens that look like humans", etc...

She is not a reliable source.

How carefully have you checked this?

Kind regards
Maybe...maybe not

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 04:20 AM
link   
How is Paola Harris regarded at ATS, is she thought to be a reliable source? I don't really know that much about her.

If her statement is true then that's very interestring. It would mean a greatly respected scientist did actually give credence to the UFO subject but also that maybe he didn't have as much integrity as we thought.

(EDIT) I see maybe maybe not has approached this angle!

[edit on 9-5-2010 by DrHammondStoat]

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 04:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by DrHammondStoat
How is Paola Harris regarded at ATS, is she thought to be a reliable source? I don't really know that much about her.

DrHammondStoat.....

Please see my post (above).

Harris is not a reliable source.

Anon72 needs to confirm an alternative & credible source, or this story has no substance.

Kind regards
Maybe...maybe not

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 04:29 AM
link   
reply to post by anon72

Anon 72…..

For starters…..

Harris strongly supports the known hoaxer, Urzi:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Harris strongly supports the known hoaxer Maussan:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Here's an example of Harris's quality work regarding “humans that look like aliens”:

(By the way.....the big guy in the picture is an alien.....Harris says so.....)

Italy's Disclosure Of Human Looking Aliens

Editorial Note

What follows is a groundbreaking commentary and interview by Paola Harris concerning new evidence in Italy of human looking extraterrestrials living among the Italian population. The interview was conducted in November 2006 and the commentary written in May 2007. The commentary and interview have been respectively numbered I. & II. and combined as a special feature article for the Exopolitics Journal

I. “The Timing is the Thing” … that tells us everything

I remember years ago in 1999, that Dr. Michael Wolf Kruvante told me that there was going to be a “slow” process release of information governed by a “special study group”. He may have been the first to print what he said were two alien photos on his book ”Catchers of Heaven”. One is a blonde blue-eyed human looking alien called Sa Ra from Altair 4 [photo below], the other a “baby” grey.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/cdbea5eb73a1.jpg[/atsimg]

He talks extensively about his role as interface with this human looking alien in a diplomatic capacity.

These are the protocols of which I speak in my new book: Exopolitics: How Does One Speak To A Ball Of Light - Exopolitical challenges and protocols for future contact.

This year in Italy, two important books surfaced talking about aliens among us. The first book was written by Stefano Breccia. Italian engineer and computer graphics expert and telecommunications who is considered a very credible source. The book is called Contattismi di Massa (Nexus Edizioni) which literally means Mass Contacts. It deals with two opposing groups of Aliens situated near the Adriatic coast near Pescara who mingled among the residents and especially who communicated with several important political figures in 1956.

Their liaison contactee was a man called Bruno Sammaciccia, a credible figure who held four University degrees among them psychology and psychiatry and amazingly enough was nominated man of the year by UNESCO in 1982 for his cultural background. He was first contacted telepathically by these very tall (8 foot) humanoid aliens who had a base in the Adriatic sea.

In the Chapter called “Amicizia” at the end of the book he talks about their habits, intentions and their interaction with humans among them, such prestigious figures as a Brazilian Cardinal, a famous painter, a general of the carabinieri( Italian Military Police) but in particular, they contacted the much noted (Italian Consul) Console Perego who had the sighting over St. Peter’s December 1st 1953 and who spoke about UFOS to many Italian Officials in the 50’s much like Adamski.

Contacted telepathically was also, journalist/photographer Bruno Ghibaudi who took the amazing photos of these distinct craft coming out of the water near Pescara on the Adriatic coast. The book includes many photos of this plus the dignitaries mentioned plus one photo of an 8 foot tall Alien who said he was part of a confederation from a “blue” galaxy which means probably a blue nebula. One message given to Planet Earth was “most extraterrestrial life was humanoid in Nature”! They look like us!

The second book that I researched is called Beyond Heaven or Oltre il Cielo by Maurizio Cavallo. This second book details the agony and the ecstasy of Maurizio’s contact with a group from Clarion from the star system of Aquila (the Eagle). The problems with conflicting realities and dimensional travel which almost led him to insanity.

Cavallo’s contact happened in 1981 and in an effort to stabilize himself in this reality, he took many photographs, and many Polaroids of different aliens, of this what he also calls the “confederation”! These Clarions asked him not to release them for 10 years to test his commitment to them. Most every photograph portrait has a name and is very particular. He explained to me that his Clarion Contacts absorb light when photographed so there are many flashes of light as in the picture of Suell.

I have been working on the Maurizio Cavallo story since October 2006 and find him very stable, logical, calm and credible. He simply lives his story. It is very difficult to evaluate this type of case that has films, photographs and artifacts. Although I visited him four times always staying in his town for days, I became very anxious to involve Jaime Maussan from Mexico in this particular case especially since he was doing the “Antonio Urzzi” case only 40 kilometers away.

The Urzi footage of daylight UFOs matches that of Mauizio Cavallo and in one film, it seems like the same UfO. Antonio Urzi is in Milano, Cavallo lives one hour away near Torino and his contacts come about in Val D’Aosta as well as the French Alps. Jaime Maussan flew to Milano the 11th of May 2007 and he filmed interviews for two days.

Both these contactees are summoned to film these craft plus they are sensitive to the presence of their extraterrestrial friends. They are chosen.

It is ironic to me that there is a special timing to all this. It seems about time that we realize that these people walk among us on Earth and they are concerned with our welfare to some extent. My job is simply to report the story and with Jaime Maussan to slowly analyze the case and report what they tell us. You decide! Maybe It is time!

etc...

www.bibliotecapleyades.net...

I couldn't find the thread about it.....it was an ATS classic.

Kind regards
Maybe…maybe not

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 05:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Maybe...maybe not

Greetings MMN,

Yes I remember that thread, it's an embarrassing contention that someone so human looking is an alien with no proof. So the source is unreliable, but even if the source was correct, and Sagan thought UFOs were real, well, what does that mean? I think some UFOs are real too. The question is, real what?

The January 5 2000 sighting in Illinois by multiple police officers was a real UFO. They even got a picture of it.

Source: UFO Over Southern Illinois - Part 4 of 5 www.youtube.com...
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/f4b06c0a903a.png[/atsimg]

But nobody knows what the heck it was, except maybe some spooks if it was a secret "black" military project like some people suspect (perhaps stealth blimp?).

I'm not assuming that the words "real" and "alien" are interchangeable if that's what some people assume. But the witnesses say it was a real UFO and apparently it was.

If you think I'm biased about Sagan, please disregard my signature

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 05:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

Arbitrageur.....

Very well said

Kind regards
Maybe...maybe not

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 06:31 AM
link   
This is complete and total hearsay, related as third-hand information. This information does not come from either of the principles nor is there any direct evidence from either these words were ever spoken. If you wants Sagan's opinion on UFOs, look at the man's writings, speeches and television appearances, not a remembered conversation twenty-six years after the fact by someone who wasn't even there.

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 06:46 AM
link   
Reading the link, I cannot help but to think the entire point is to deceive the reader. The title is misleading; a confidant is not revealing this, it is a third party who wasn't involved. There is a lot of information dumped on the reader, little to none of which does anything to support Harris' claim; this tactic is often employed to overwhelm and confuse the reader. The writer seeks comment not from the Sagan estate or anyone that could speak for the man with any authority, but instead goes to Stephen G. Bassett for insight.

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 07:24 AM
link   
Nice find

I belive that anyone who doing any kind of research in astronomy , such as men like Sagen can not ignore the likelyhood of "vistors, ET etc" They just choose to ignore and downplay it for all the wrong reasons , funding, etc . I understand their reasoning but at some point the "Veil" has to lift so to speak.

The debunkers can only debunk so long , they can twist words and ridicule others , but in the end it will be all for not.

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 07:33 AM
link   
Let's not revise history to elevate Carl Sagan to an ET believer. He had plenty of opportunities to state that UFOs could be visiting ships from any of those billions (and billions) of stars he was aware of. But, (for whatever reasons) he chose not to.

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 07:55 AM
link   
reply to post by anon72

What they say for the public record is one thing (as with Congress) but what these guys say behind closed doors is quite another story. That's why I always pay close attention to what our movie directors create for us... because 9 times out of 10 it's either on some covert military drafting table or it's already secretly happening. They're just trying to prepare us for things to come... and are testing our reactions.

And I'm with Hawking... we as civilians don't want to be making contact with these aliens on our own accord. Not wise. And personally I prefer the military to be my buffer... I just wish they were a little more honest with us. Even psychologists tell you that if your children ask you a question... don't lie. Just present your answers at a level they can comprehend without instilling unnecessary fear.

[edit on 9/5/2010 by Hedera Helix]

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 08:30 AM
link   
reply to post by anon72

I am not surprised. I remember reading one of his books where he seemed to be giving a rehearsed statement regarding the possibility or improbability of ET's visiting us. Elsewhere in the book he is speaking of intelligence among and within species and he uses an odd choice of words.
I don't remember the exact sentence or even the book but it has bothered me for years. He said apes and whales and dolphins are nearly as intelligent but the human primate brain is "among" or "nearly" the most advanced on earth.

He definitely left room, (or maybe just a turn of phrase) for another more advanced species than us... to exist in the here and now.

Now - What the heck is this?

[edit on 9-5-2010 by rusethorcain]

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 09:27 AM
link   
So a person who wasn't there is recollecting an alleged 26 year old off the record statement made by a dead guy about a dead guy on another dead guy's television show.

Awesome evidence!

And what a revelation that Carl Sagan actually believed that there are objects in the sky that haven't yet been identified by the observers! WOW!

[edit on 9-5-2010 by draknoir2]

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by anon72
Sagan said to Hynek, that he knew UFOs were real but could not talk publicly about the matter and possibly risk the loss of academic funding.

This claim and others that Sagan's public opinion on UFOs was restricted by monetary concerns is not based in any sort of reality. Four years before this conversation supposedly took place, Cosmos spent over a year on the New York Times bestseller list; his publisher then awarded him a $2 million advance for Contact. Sagan did not need money. (Source)

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 09:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Reevster
The debunkers can only debunk so long , they can twist words and ridicule others , but in the end it will be all for not.

Such audacious hypocrisy. You are accusing skeptics of twisting words while you are applauding putting words in a dead man's mouth, without any evidence whatsoever.

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 09:58 AM
link   
If you read Carl Sagan's book, Demon Haunted World, and look closely at the wording of his section on the Blue Book work; it should become apparent he believes UFOs (which are unexplainable), is a reality.

This is inferring though but it's pretty obvious to anyone who can read in between the lines.

I have personally always considered Carl Sagan aware of that reality.

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by DoomsdayRex

This claim and others that Sagan's public opinion on UFOs was restricted by monetary concerns is not based in any sort of reality.

Yeah because respected scientists who claim UFOs are real without any hard evidence are always taken seriously.

Everyone would have treated him real nice about it, and no one would have ridiculed him.

Rather than monetary concerns, it was probably EVERY concern.

[edit on 9-5-2010 by muzzleflash]

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by draknoir2

And what a revelation that Carl Sagan actually believed that there are objects in the sky that haven't yet been identified by the observers!

Like I said, read Demon Haunted World and you will take that statement back. He says clearly that some cases cannot nor will be explained.

It's not a revelation at all, the book is becoming quite aged now.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join