It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Texas: Reports of shots fired to US from across the border

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaddyBare
reply to post by sr_robert1

Trust me when I say I never go anywhere without my side arm

Nice

I prefer my .30-30 or .30-06 scoped by Schmidt & Bender

Distance keeps things neat and clean!

For close in and personal I prefer an old rusty claw roofing hammer!

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 12:49 PM
link   
reply to post by azrael36

7.62x51mm is the NATO .308
.308 Win 150 gr Bimetal
FMJ Berdan 2800 fps

7.62x39 122 gr

FMJ
Berdan 2396 fps

huge differences in range and kinetic energy

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Of course, the Royal Navy would blow them out of the water in 10 seconds flat ... but of course God forbid we defend our borders. They just worka hard at the jobs Americans won't do

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 12:59 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

ya know I just mounted a nice Burris 3.5X-10X-50mm
on my old Savage 110 30-06

Havent had time to try it out yet but it sure is a lot brighter then than that cheap 3X9 it came from the factroy with

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

Ahh thank you for the correction. You learn something new everyday, If not what's the point of kicking around this ball of dirt?

I'm gonna try to embed that photo. Forgive me I'm new to posting and still trying to figure some things out.

[edit on 8-5-2010 by azrael36]

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 01:04 PM
link   

ya know I just mounted a nice Burris 3.5X-10X-50mm
on my old Savage 110 30-06

Havent had time to try it out yet but it sure is a lot brighter then than that cheap 3X9 it came from the factroy with

My brother sports one of those. Not bad at all.

Impressive.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 01:11 PM
link   
This story is a joke.... thanks for wasting my time. This is no different than hearing your next door neighbor shooting at targets.... The headline should be shots heard from Mexico..NOT shots fired to US from across the border.
Big deal....

[edit on 8-5-2010 by imitator]

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 01:15 PM
link   

You know of all their firearms the AK-74, Which a cousin of mine has. Seems like a fine weapon. No over the top muzzle flash and very little barrel rise.

Nice!

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Just a thought, but considering the whole drug war going on in Mexico, maybe these bullets are from the cartels? Not to say that is deffinately the case, just throwing out a possibility.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrueBrit
How can it be proven that the shots heard were fired AT america from mexico? Is it not possible that the shots were merely heard by Americans, but were aimed at persons in Mexico?
I would merely like to hear why it is instantly assumed that the shots fired were fired in the direction of texas, from over the border, rather than say , anywhere along the border in the direction of mexico? Or indeed from any where along the border, in any direction up and down the border? I mean did someone go looking for the bullets? I mean exactly what are we talking about here, because all I read , was that some shots were fired, and dudes on the border heard it.

It is very likely the oil workers heard the bullet whizz by.

One simple way to know if the shots are coming from one direction
or another is the doppler effect.

The sound an object in motion makes changes due to red shift
and blue shift.

They also could have seen the muzzle flash.

They also may have seen a bullet hole in some piece of equipment
or a ricochet mark.

Any of these give pretty good indicators of what general direction
a shot was fired from.

If any of the oil workers were former infantry in the US military
they knew this, and likely more.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 01:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Good Intentions

If they can recover a spent bullet it'd be easy to tell...

Most folks shoot the chinese ammo in 7.62x39 AK/SKS rounds but that chink stuff has a mild steel core... because of that core it's illegal for sale or use in the US... they claim its armor piercing.... not...

But if these are Mexicans shooting at us then it's pretty likely there bullets would have that steel core

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Aggie Man

Shots heard.....on a ranch...could be anything really. It could be hunters. Unless someone was literally getting shot at and it is confirmed that the shots came from the Mexico side of the border with the intent to injure/kill Americans, then I will call this a non-story.

As a Texan and an avid hunter, I have spent much time in the border areas of south Texas; including Webb County. you can hear gunshots any time of the day, any day of the week and any week of the year.

As another Texan, avid hunter, former Laredoan (4 yrs), and having hunted within 4 miles of the Rio Grande: This isn't a non-story, and it also isn't a new story.

Anyone who knows the ranches along Mines Road outside of Laredo, or ranches along US 83 toward Zapata, knows how dangerous they can be. And they have been for 30 yrs. But much more so since the mid 1990s.

I've previously posted my experiences seeing smugglers operating at night on the ranches, and I will share what happened to 3 friends who decided to get a Mines Rd lease about 10 miles outside (at the time) of Laredo. I told them at the time I would never again hunt closer than 75 miles to the border. These guys considered themselves to be pretty macho Hispanic guys.

They had a camp set up, and late at night across the river, they heard a woman screaming her lungs out for a while, then going silent. One night they were checking a trot-line for catfish using head-lamps. Someone started firing at them from across the river, with splashes erupting in the river right in front of their faces. In the morning, during prime hunting hours, a SUV load of Feds came through the ranch, black sunglasses and all, and stopped each of them to see who they were and what they had seen.
I don't remember if it was before or after the feds came, but one of the hunters had a tripod sitting in brush right along the edge of the river. At dawn with barely any light, he watched some guys coming across the river with a rubber raft loaded with bales and covered with tarps. There were 4 of them swimming along outside the raft. The came to the bank very close to where my friend was sitting; one of them looked up and saw him in the tripod armed. He motioned the others and they guided the raft further down the river out of site.
This all happened around 9 yrs ago. One can only imagine how much worse things have gotten since then.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

I can tell you know your firearms lol. I just hope more innocent people aren't killed due to drug war, or any other reason for that matter. I personaly feel that it may just be somebody shooting around.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Yah I like the 74 as well. I dunno what it is but I've always had a thing for the old communist bloc weapons. The Saiga S-12 in that pic is also an excellent semi-automatic shotgun.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Invade Mexico and Take over? We could have us a nice war on drugs then! Clean up Mexico ?

I mean the violence thats coming to the united states over the borders is terrible. Something needs to be done!!

Not saying we should take over mexico, especially with Obama in charge but that would end our alien mexican problems......

It would also increase the amount of drugs but maybe a step backward before stepping forward?

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 02:24 PM
link   
If it were up to me I'd have Mexico City carpet bombed repeatedly if the Mexicans keep letting crap like this happen.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 02:30 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueBrit

maybe the eyes of Texas saw it?-

The eyes of Texas are upon you,
All the live long day.
You cannot get away.
Do not think you can escape them,
At night, or early in the morn'.
Till Gabriel blows his horn!

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 02:39 PM
link   

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/1cd5de0374ec.jpg[/atsimg]

Crap, that thing looks like it weighs more than I do!

You sound so proud, but it seems to me you are a slave to your weapon!

It's very depressing to me to think that people would have to take one of these wherever they go!

edit for quote

[edit on 8-5-2010 by Blanca Rose]

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 02:59 PM
link   

reply to post by LurkerMan

Kind of hard not to report this one...
the shoots ran off a full oil drilling crew... maybe as many as 20 men... hard to sweep that under a rug

I agree you don't mess with texas....err big oil.
But i think more US citizens will need to die in high profile before much of anything is done,prolly cash and a new ambassador to Mexico.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Blanca Rose

IMHO guns and condoms are a lot alike. It's better to have one and not need it, than to need one and not have it.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join