It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

American flag t-shirts on Cinco de Mayo???

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Seeing that it is now the 7th of May I know all of you here a have already heard of the kids in cali that were suspended for a day because the wore american flag t-shirts to school on cinco de mayo. This is a crock of S**T Correct me if Im wrong but california is a part of the 50 states that make up the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA. Emphisis on AMERICA. What right does an assistant principle in an american school have the right to send any child home for being patriotic. Since when was wearing an american flag considered offencive? If you are of mexican heritage and you want to celebrate the 5th of may then so be it, even if you are not of mexican decent and you want to celebrate the day so be it. the 5th of may is your independence day live it up have fun we do the same on on the 4th of july. You have no right to even attempt to force us to even adknowledge that your holiday even exsit, let alone to force us to not wear OUR FLAG IN OUR COUNTRY on any day we see fit. That is what is wrong with this country. Yes we welcome immegrants but you should have to learn our culture, Not force us to adopt yours. We have our own culture our own ways. It is complete bull that we HAVE to provide menus in multiple langanges because you cant read english but you live here. Can I go to mexico, france, italy, russia, greece...... and demand that you provide me with an english menu or that you provide me with anything that I have here. How about I go to the U.K. and demand that you drive on the right side because I dont know how to drive on the left. You would probley laugh me out the country.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 12:48 PM
link   
I tend to agree that wearing a US flag in public in the US on ANY day is OK.

Christmas, St. Patrick's Day, Canada Day, Chinese New Year, whatever.... Welcome to the USA.

Now flying foreign flags in the US is insulting to me. If you are a citizen of the US then you are American.... not German, Russian, Indian, etc.

In this case, I fully agree with Teddy Roosevelt

urbanlegends.about.com...

"Americanization" was a favorite theme of Roosevelt's during his later years, when he railed repeatedly against "hyphenated Americans" and the prospect of a nation "brought to ruins" by a "tangle of squabbling nationalities."
He advocated the compulsory learning of English by every naturalized citizen. "Every immigrant who comes here should be required within five years to learn English or to leave the country," he said in a statement to the Kansas City Star in 1918. "English should be the only language taught or used in the public schools."
He also insisted, on more than one occasion, that America has no room for what he called "fifty-fifty allegiance." In a speech made in 1917 he said, "It is our boast that we admit the immigrant to full fellowship and equality with the native-born. In return we demand that he shall share our undivided allegiance to the one flag which floats over all of us."

Theodore Roosevelt on Immigrants and being an AMERICAN: "In the first place we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the man's becoming in very fact an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag, and this excludes the red flag, which symbolizes all wars against liberty and civilization, just as much as it excludes any foreign flag of a nation to which we are hostile...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Hey all,

My first post here at ATS, though i have been following for a few years. This really has me fired up, being from the bay area. I also wanted to correct the OP on some information.

Mexico 09-16 September 16 (Grito de Dolores) Independence from Spain declared in 1810. Recognized on September 27, 1821

Mexico's independence day is Sep. 16th, not may 5th. They are celebrating a victory over the french army in a skirmish. This holiday isnt even celebrated in most of mexico.

Anyhow, i would really like to see Mr. Rodriguez fired right out the door of that school.

Thanks

Druidae

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 01:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Druidae

I aplogize I was taught that cinco de mayo was the mexican independce day. I was actually told this by my ex-wife who is mexican.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Druidae
Mexico's independence day is Sep. 16th, not may 5th. They are celebrating a victory over the french army in a skirmish. This holiday isnt even celebrated in most of mexico.

Anyhow, i would really like to see Mr. Rodriguez fired right out the door of that school.

Congrats on your first post.
I agree. I've been from Cancun, to Cozumel, and have asked the locals if they celebrate May 5th. They tell me that they aren't aware of any "Cinco" celebrations (popularized like halloween, valentines day, and others by marketers).
As for this Principal, I hope he is prosecuted for violating those students civil liberties.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 01:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Violater1

The sad thing is that nothing is going to happen. There will be many protest from the hispanic community because they feel as though they have been offended. They will raise hell to make sure nothing happens to the principle other then a verbal slap on the wrist. If anyone does come to side of the kids that wore the shirts they will be labled as racist. It would be careear sucide for any poltician to take the side of those suspended. Its already trying to be twisted to this whole racist thing. I watched on the news and one of the students said it was very offenceive for these students to wear the american flag on cinco de mayo, and that she would never think to wear the mexican flag on july 4th. ughhhhh let me stop here before i go into a full blown rant.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 01:54 PM
link   
"jmotley

posted on 7-5-2010 at 01:21 PM

I aplogize I was taught that cinco de mayo was the mexican independce day. I was actually told this by my ex-wife who is mexican."

The sad thing is, on the news, the students they were interviewing thought the same thing. Speaks loads for Mr. Rodriguez, who is the head of the schools history dept, and also the school admin that sent these students home.

Druidae

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by jmotley
reply to post by Violater1

The sad thing is that nothing is going to happen. There will be many protest from the hispanic community because they feel as though they have been offended. They will raise hell to make sure nothing happens to the principle other then a verbal slap on the wrist. If anyone does come to side of the kids that wore the shirts they will be labled as racist. It would be careear sucide for any poltician to take the side of those suspended. Its already trying to be twisted to this whole racist thing. I watched on the news and one of the students said it was very offenceive for these students to wear the american flag on cinco de mayo, and that she would never think to wear the mexican flag on july 4th. ughhhhh let me stop here before i go into a full blown rant.

There is a time and place for everything. And if you passionately object to the flagrant anti-American actions of others, then Rant On! I and others rant with you.
America! Love it or get the *!~# Out!

I had to give you a Star!

top topics

join