It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

EVP's - What Are They Really?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 02:32 AM
link   
So what are EVP's (Electronic Voice Phenomena)? Are they really voices from departed souls? I've often wondered if Paranormal Investigators are actually responsible themselves for the EVP Phenomena. Is it possible that via some mechanism we currently do not understand, our subconscious thoughts are able to be transferred onto the recording device.

Personally I have found some EVP's very compelling. Especially those that directly answer a question posed by the investigator or refer to the investigator by name - but in saying that I'm not totally convinced that the phenomena is what we think it may be. What do you think?

I'd love to read your viewpoints!

Why aren't EVP's captured in Hollywood movies or in the recording studios of the record companies? Or Are they? One would imagine with the millions of hours of sound recorded that an EVP is going to pop-up. The odds suggest that this should be the case! Surely there must be some examples of this?

Watching shows like Ghost Hunters, I've often noticed that majority (not all) of EVP's have distinguishable American accents and speak in English. Can the same be said for EVP's captured in other countries? Do EVP's captured in other parts of the world speak the language of those countries? If I capture an EVP in Australia, will it have an Australian accent?

I'm assuming that we have Paranormal Investigators from all around the globe here at ATS. Can any of you supply examples of EVP's that reflect the accents and languages of the countries they were caught in? If so, can you upload them to the Media Server and provide a link within this thread - or can you link to websites with good examples or the criteria mentioned above?

Please feel free to answer one or all of the questions posed above.

IRM

[edit on 7/5/10 by InfaRedMan]

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 05:17 AM
link   
reply to post by InfaRedMan

Is it possible that via some mechanism we currently do not understand, our subconscious thoughts are able to be transferred onto the recording device.
Completely impossible. Even if our thoughts were somehow embedded within the recording device, it would just sound like white noise....the reason for this is simple, computers can't interpret thought syntax, try an MP3.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 05:44 AM
link   
reply to post by CHA0S

Sure... that may very well be so but wouldn't EVP's from the dead be even more impossible? LOL! I'm not saying I subscribe to either. Just asking the questions mate!

Try an MP3? I don't follow. If computers can't interpret human syntax, I'd suggest it's equally impossible that humans (alive or dead) can communicate in binary. However it's questionable whether EVP's go directly to tape or HD. They may still pass through the microphone.

IRM

[edit on 7/5/10 by InfaRedMan]

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 07:36 AM
link   

So what are EVP's (Electronic Voice Phenomena)?

What exactly is EVP or "Electronic Voice Phenomenon"?

How does EVP work?......

Voices involved in EVP messages often exhibit a shift in frequency outside of the normal human voice range, also known as "Voice Frequency Shift". The human voice generally ranges between 300hz & 1000hz. Evp voices have however even been measured to 1400hz. The questions of "How Does EVP Work?" has also been a long debatable subject amongst paranormal investigators & researchers. Some would argue that somehow ghosts are able to imprint their voice onto the tape of an analog recorder, but others argue that that cannot be true since digital recorders use a digital chip instead of cassette tape. This would then lead us to wonder how do ghosts do this then since evp has been recorded on both analog and digital recorders?
(Source)

I do suggest reading more from the link provided as it explains quite a bit about what an EVP is exactly, how it works and how we record them etc. etc.

Helpful EVP Link

Can the same be said for EVP's captured in other countries? Do EVP's captured in other parts of the world speak the language of those countries? If I capture an EVP in Australia, will it have an Australian accent?

As far as i always knew yes EVP's would be/have been caught in different languages local to where they have been captured.

Please follow this link showing some different types of EVP's captured as well as the class system of EVP etc.

EVPs in a Foreign Language

[edit on 7-5-2010 by Rising Against]

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 08:16 AM
link   

Years ago, I read that Raudin or those associated with him, arranged to have EVP recordings recorded in I think Philips' London recording studios, which were normally used for hi-fidelity recordings (vinyl at the time, or 'records' as they were known). The studios were thus especially shielded to prevent any random broadcasts (police, radio frequencies, for example) from interfering with the recordings. And it was claimed that EVP recordings were obtained

It was also claimed at around the same period that Vatican recording studios which were being used to record Gregorian chants, also picked up very specific EVP's which were directed to one of the technicians (himself of the religious order). The voice apparently said, ' Hello Zucchini, etc. etc. '. The Vatican technician's nick-name as a child, bestowed by his father, now deceased, was 'Zucchini'. The technician, it's claimed, consulted with his superiors and asked if the voice was that of his father or of 'demons' pretending to be his father in order to lead him astray. And it's claimed his superiors assured him it would have been his real father, also that the voices of the dead were already known to exist by the Church. This story (repeated in a number of books abotu EVPs) went on to add that as consequence of the 'Zucchini' message, the Vatican authorised two members of the Jesuits to conduct EVP experiments. The Jesuits were provided the latest recording technology and (it's claimed) they afterwards wrote a book about the experiment, in which it was claimed they'd recorded something of the order of 72,000 individual EVP messages/voices

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 09:10 AM
link   
From what I understand, our reality is layered infinitely with other moments of time. That time is essentially compressed and layered upon one another. The layers closest to us are most accessible while those further away are not so easily tapped into. It is also possible that other parallel dimensions of reality can be "curved" into these layers in addition to our own. Which means one can be accessing other times, places, or even universes during such sessions.

EVPs are essentially discussions with people or signals from different times, places, dimensions, or universes. I personally have thought that if that were the case then you could theoretically communicate with yourself in the past or future or in another reality, but you are not able to due to the fact that the "current conscious" moment and one's vibrational frequency tends to cancel out that ability.

Your Vibrational similarity, like a "noise canceling headphone" cancels out your access to yourself. But it does leave the possibility of communicating with the future, which is the source of most psychic phenomenon, deja-vu, etc. One's vibrational anchor also prevents travel between times, places, or universes. Although I do not discount the ability to alter that vibration via technological means which could open up the possibility of clear communications between times, places, dimensions, or universes or even physical travel between them.

The immediate mindset, environment, and celestial conditions all determine who, what, or when a contact happens. If there is a type of natural vortex then sometimes "doors" can be established where a consistent encounter can be experienced with minimal impact of conditions.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 09:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Rising Against

Thanks for that link mate. Very interesting. I find EVP's fascinating... though I am on the fence about what they really are.

IRM

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 09:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dock9

It was also claimed at around the same period that Vatican recording studios which were being used to record Gregorian chants, also picked up very specific EVP's which were directed to one of the technicians (himself of the religious order).

It would be fantastic if the Vatican released these recordings. Great story Dock9 and thanks for chiming in on my thread mate!

IRM

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 09:32 AM
link   
reply to post by DJM8507

That's a very interesting theory DJM8507! A bit complex for my liking. I'd like to believe it's simpler than that... but you may very well be right. Who knows!

All theories are equally valid!

Some EVP's seem to be intelligent and others appear to be more residual... just like hauntings. They may even work via completely different mechanisms. I have a feeling that residuals may rely heavily on environmental factors. It may be only when X amount of conditions are exactly right that we are able to record them... It might even be that environmental conditions have to be exactly as they were at the time they were imprinted in time to be tangible in the present. I don't really know.

Thanks for sharing you views mate!

IRM

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 09:48 AM
link   
I can remeber a magazine I used to read waaaay back in the '70's when I was a mere child (it touched on the paranormal, historical stories etc.), and in particular one of their freebies.

It was - and this is how long ago it was - a 45rpm single. Remember them?

This thing was as floppy as hell, made from some kind of rubbish plastic, but when placed on the turntable, it worked.

It was recordings made by Konstatin Raudive.

It scared the crap out of me.

I can't remember everything that was on the record, but one of the voices was supposed to be of Churchill.

I dont really have an opinion as to what EVP is, but would hazard a wild guess that if human life is - somehow - related to energy, then death would not mean the end. Energy can't die, so therefore we continue...?

Anyhoo, how that relates to our material voices continuing too, I just don't know.

I still think about that record...

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 09:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Beamish

Hey Beamish!

Thanks for that account. I know the plastic records you refer to. I got one in a brit pop magazine in the 80's that had an Aha (the band) interview on it. Tacky as hell... and I still have it in my record collection. LOL!

I first got interested in EVP's back in the 80's when I brought a record from a band called Severed Heads (Australian experimental electronic band). They had a soundtrack in it where the background voices were comprised of EVP recordings. That kind of whet my appetite. I've been interested in them every since.

I agree with much of what you say about our spirits or consciousness being energy and that it may somehow survive physical death. There's definitely something to that.

Cheers!

IRM

link   
The Fourth Kind comes to mind for me, otherwise I've never really heard much about it.

Good point about the recording studios too, maybe those sound proof rooms are ghost proof too.

Think there might be a market in that?

I've often noticed that majority (not all) of EVP's have distinguishable American accents and speak in English

Well isn't it obvious?

Being stuck in the eternal damnation of the afterlife also means becoming American.

It is punishment after all.

link   

have you tried EVP yourself. I once thought about it but havent yet plucked up the courage to do it....would be interesting to see what you can make of it if anything....

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chadwickus

I've often noticed that majority (not all) of EVP's have distinguishable American accents and speak in English

Well isn't it obvious?

Being stuck in the eternal damnation of the afterlife also means becoming American.

It is punishment after all.

LOL! Chad!!! It could be worse I guess... or could it?

IRM

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by booda

have you tried EVP yourself. I once thought about it but havent yet plucked up the courage to do it....would be interesting to see what you can make of it if anything....

Hey booda. I haven't tried it intentionally, but I do have a small recording studio in my house and have hours up hours of open mic recordings. I had never noticed anything out of the ordinary during the editing process.

However, having said that I fear that if I recorded open mic intentionally to capture EVP's, I might actually pic something up. We have actually had some strange activity in my house over the years. I think I'd personally freak out if I did capture something. I think I'd prefer to steer clear of it for the expense of comfort. LOL!

IRM

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 10:12 AM
link   
I just wanted to chime in because I, as well, find EVP's to be very intriguing. I constantly go over in my head how it is possible and what they could be.

In regards to residual EVP's, I find the idea of "imprints" hard to believe, and for some reason tend to think it is more of glitch in the timeline if you will. As crazy as it sounds, it's the only way I can comprehend it.

As far as intelligent EVP's... I suppose I rationalize them in the same manner, that there are alternative time lines or dimensions that we cannot physically see and hear, but sometimes with the right conditions are able to pick up traces of them through EVP's. The crazy part is the fact they they seem to be aware of us (most of the time).

No matter how many time I go over it in my head it still boggles me to no extent.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by samureyed

In regards to residual EVP's, I find the idea of "imprints" hard to believe, and for some reason tend to think it is more of glitch in the timeline if you will. As crazy as it sounds, it's the only way I can comprehend it.

Could quite possibly be so!

As far as intelligent EVP's... The crazy part is the fact they they seem to be aware of us (most of the time).

Yeah they are... that's the freaky part. When EVP's refer to people in the room by name or answer a question directly it gets harder to explain away.

Thanks for chiming in mate!

IRM

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 10:19 AM
link   

I lived in a house that was quite probably haunted.

It was an old two story duplex and my neighbours told me their lights would turn on and off randomly, some nights after they had gone to bed they would wake to find every light switched on.

I've had friend stay there and were freaked out by the sound of someone or something running up and down the stairs making a helleva racket.

I'm a deep sleeper so never heard it myself, although I always felt I was being watched while there, to the point I wouldn't look around, I would always keep my eyes pointed to the ground when moving about, particularly at night.

Wish I had thought to fire up a tape recorder whilst there.

[edit on 7/5/10 by Chadwickus]

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Sorry. It was Pye Records, not Philips as I guessed in my earlier post

Konstantin Raudive conducted thousands of EVP experiments and wrote a book on the subject 'Breakthrough: An Amazing Experiment in Electronic Communication With The Dead'.

This book led to Dr. Raudive being invited to partake in a controlled test experiment in the recording studios of Pye Records. There the top electronic engineers of Pye recorded Dr. Raudive's EVP spirit voice communications in pristine studio conditions. The results were astounding, over 200 discarnate voices were recorded in a completely insulated environment.

blog.wfmu.org...

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 10:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

That's interesting Chad. I've experienced things in many of the houses I've lived in as has my sister. I fear I may be a lightening rod for this kind of stuff (whatever that may be). Last year I was slapped in the face from the side of the bed while I was sleeping. It woke me up and I started to lash out with my fists as I thought I was victim to a home invasion.

I got up and checked the entire house but there was no one to be seen. I could have shirked it off as a vivid dream but I had a large, warm red mark on the side of my face that was slapped. It took weeks to feel comfortable sleeping in the house again. Sometimes my bin lid get's slammed down in the middle of the night but that's about it. Nothing like the slap has ever happened again.

I don't know if it's spirits, ghosts or whatever. I haven't made up my mind yet.

IRM

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join