It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

You're a Neanderthal: Genes say yes — a little bit

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 03:17 PM
link   
news.yahoo.com...

WASHINGTON – We have met Neanderthal and he is us — at least a little. The most detailed look yet at the Neanderthal genome helps answer one of the most debated questions in anthropology: Did Neanderthals and modern humans mate? The answer is yes, there is at least some cave man biology in most of us. Between 1 percent and 4 percent of genes in people from Europe and Asia trace back to Neanderthals. "They live on, a little bit," says Svante Paabo of the Max Planck Institute for Evolutionary Anthropology in Leipzig, Germany.

[edit on 6-5-2010 by Romantic_Rebel]

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 04:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Romantic_Rebel

Let's do the math, shall we?

population of earth---6.8 billion

Popluation of Eurasia--- 4.8 billion [ 71% of earth's population ]

The roughly 2% of Eurasia that has neanderthal genes---9.6 million.

That's alot of cavemen roaming the earth people

If nobody else does it, I'll look at the birth rates tomorrow for Eurasia compared to the Western Hemisphere.

I've been looking real hard lately for a good argument to support de-evolution, I think I may have just found it

Peace

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 04:35 PM
link   
Cross listed your thread in my own,

That little article is really denying ignorance. Thanks for the link, Romantic Rebel, excellent find. Makes the GEICO caveman commercials out as priming propaganda eh?

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 04:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Taupin Desciple

What makes you think Neanderthals were less advanced?

You do realize there is a medical conspiracy that is attempting to target those with Neanderthal genetics...

The line in the sand has been drawn. Are you pro sterilization / eugenics against Neanderthal heritage?

[edit on 6-5-2010 by elusive1]

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 05:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Taupin Desciple

What it means is that if you're not an African, then 1-4 % of your genome comes from Neanderthals.

This is from the Science article:

Implications for modern human origins. One model for modern human origins suggests that all present-day humans trace all their ancestry back to a small African population that expanded and replaced archaic forms of humans without admixture. Our analysis of the Neandertal genome may not be compatible with this view because Neandertals are on average closer to individuals in Eurasia than to individuals in Africa. Furthermore, individuals in Eurasia today carry regions in their genome that are closely related to those in Neandertals and distant from other present-day humans. The data suggest that between 1 and 4% of the genomes of people in Eurasia are derived from Neandertals.

Why is it that news outlets hardly ever report biology news right? A local one wrote that between 1 - 4 % of our genes come from Neanderthals. As if 1 - 4 % of genome somehow correlates with 1 - 4 % of genes.

[edit on 6-5-2010 by rhinoceros]

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 12:20 PM
link   
It is naive or maybe just ignorance to label Neanderthals as "cavemen". They were not cavemen. "Cavemen" were Homo heidelbergensis, the evolutionary species that existed before the split of Neanderthals and Humans.

new topics

top topics

join