It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UF engineering researcher: Cell phones could double as night vision devices

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 07:05 AM
link   
Full Article

GAINESVILLE, Fla. --- Call it Nitelite: The newest app for cell phones might be night vision.

A University of Florida engineering researcher has crafted a nickel-sized imaging device that uses organic light-emitting diode technology similar to that found in cell phone or laptop screens for night vision. But unlike night vision goggles, which are heavy and expensive, the device is paper-thin, light and inexpensive, making it a possible add-on to cell phone cameras, even eyeglasses, once it is enlarged.

"Really, this is a very inexpensive device," said Franky So, a UF professor of materials science and engineering. "Incorporating it into a cell phone might not be a big deal."

Too neat, more so the "eyeglasses" mention in the article although the cell phone part is rather cool as well. I personally don't wear corrective lenses, but I would love to have a pair of non-corrective lenses with this device or even some blacked out sunglasses.

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 07:23 AM
link   
Nice find OP. I'll be putting my name on the waiting list for one of the first pairs of those glasses.

On a side note, the article mentions a DARPA connection to the company who developed this technology, I wonder if this will be restricted to the military for the foreseeable.

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 07:24 AM
link   
oh wow, kewl !!!!

I want a pair of shades like that

cant wait to see this on the open market

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 08:02 AM
link   
Waste of money if you ask me.

Back when colour screens and polyphonic ringtones were all the rage, me and my mates found out if your screen is nice and bright, hold it right up to one eye and you can see out the other one pretty good when all is dark..

give it a go!

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 12:37 PM
link   
reply to post by selfisolated

hold it right up to one eye and you can see out the other one pretty good when all is dark.

I presume this is because the pupil dilates due to the brightness of the screen and the other pupil does the opposite allowing for most of the images that the brain is receiving from the eye that isn't covered to be processed more intensely. Just a presumption on how this could occur and presuming that is in fact what you were stating in so many words.

Edit to add: I would like to add that one should only try what the above poster has mentioned at their own risk. No telling what prolonged effects this could have on ones eyes.

[edit on 5/5/2010 by UberL33t]

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 01:31 PM
link   
This is HUGE......not!

Most cell phones have CCD camera's on board.

Any CCD device can be turned into infra-red night vision. All you need is an infra-red illuminator (IR LED)

Take your old web cam; tear it apart, remove the IR filter, use any remote control (TV, VCR) as an IR illuminator. You can see in the dark.

google "IR web cam" instructions are all over the Internet.

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 03:28 PM
link   
reply to post by UberL33t

This is cool. If they can turn your eyeglasses to see at night, imagine future applications. Especially if they thin it down to like paper-thin.

Picture applying a thin device on your car's windshield and having nightvision. Or your home's windows. Or what not.

For now, it'll be just a small device you attach to your cellphone. Add a few years, it'll be on your eyeglasses. Add another decade, and the device could be as thin as paper to apply to whatever transparent surface you want.

Great find, OP.

top topics

join