It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Credit Card Scam!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Mods, Not sure where to put this, so please move to the relevant area.

I just got a call from Royal Bank Canada to ask me if I had used my Credit Card on the web to purchase, and get this, $0.88 from a company VDUB.inc? Obviously I had not, who the hell purchases $0.88 from a company on the internet!

It turns out that there is a scam going on, where these guys are making small purchases off your credit card (which is a number generated algorithm) to see if they go through, and valid. If they do go through, they rape you broken, and then disappear with money in hand.

Thank God RBC in Canada is wide awake to this kind of stuff, and contacted me. So as of now, my credit card has been canceled, and I destroyed it (I did verify it was RBC first!!).

So just a heads up to you all, you get any small amounts coming off your CC, beware. In my case, I only check my balance every week or so. Had they not called me, I could be in deep "DUDU", and it's a B*tch to sort this kind of thing out!

I have the latest Norton 2010 installed, and practically armed it to the teeth - even though it slows my PC down. Watch your accounts people, something is up

(PS - This has nothing to do with Virtual Dub - the video editing software)

(Anyone else had this problem in Canada, call 1 800 769 2512, choose option 3, and ask for Stefanie!)

Edited for "choose option 3"

[edit on 4-5-2010 by TortoiseKweek]

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 04:55 PM
link   
hey thanks for the heads up
will be monitoring my banking
a lil more closely

however, in my case
they won't get much, lol

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 05:02 PM
link   
reply to post by boondock-saint

My pleasure. I see us here at ATS as a big family, and we look after each other! I will now be monitoring my bank account daily.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Happened to me 2 weeks ago...

CC company sends me a recorded message asking if I'd made 2 transactions to various companies (part of their new security).

I say no. Then transferred to fraud.

The 1st transaction was for £2.00
And the 2nd £250.00

I confirmed it wasn't me, transactions and cards cancelled. And now new ones received..

Just a bummer getting internet/phone banking setup again.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 05:03 PM
link   
I don't own a credit card but in the past 2..3 months they called me twice and told me that my debit card has been copied and some people have access to my account..thing is I only use my card at the ATMs in RBC and never do online or paypal payments...I had to change my card twice even though no1s stealing from me ..when i asked them wth is goin on theyre like we don't know, we just got "orders" ..

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 05:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Shant

I received a statement on my RBC debit for 3 loan payments in December, totaling $2107 - "Apparently" the person who applied for a TD loan here in Canada gave my Chequing acct No# in error - Do you have any idea what a nightmare it was for me to get MY Money back!!

I had to fill out a form for every "loan" payment, and wait 3 weeks to get MY money back

That's why I'm warning people

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 05:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Shant

you are just as likely to get your card cloned and money stolen from an atm, as online.

fraudsters, will and often, fit a device to the fornt of the machine. usually so flush, it's almost impossible to tell. this will do 2 things, one it will clone your card, and save onto a memory card. also it will record you entering your pin.

all they need to then do is retrive this thing stuck over the front. and then copy your card onto a blank, (they can do this in the parking lot, with a laptop, and card reader/writer) and go and empty your account.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 05:36 PM
link   
reply to post by MR BOB

Thanks for the info MR BOB - seeing that You know so much about this, why don't YOU tell us, the ATS People, how to overcome this Issue? I can tell You that You could get shot tomorrow, but I can't tell You how to avoid it!

You seem to know the answers? Please tell

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 05:37 PM
link   
reply to post by MR BOB

I'm aware of this..but wud they do tht even at an atm thts IN the bank wid a security guard standing right there? ..i highly doubt it..and besides why didn't they take any money from me? ..theres something else going on..i dunno what

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 05:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Shant

Apparently, You can get this done, according to MR BOB. I don't say that is impossible. I'm only hoping he can tell us how to avoid this "bullet" of ignorance we all have

BTW - MY CC stays at home, safe and secure!! I never use my CC - ONLY reason I have it, is so Rogers can bill me for Cable and Internet ever month!

[edit on 4-5-2010 by TortoiseKweek]

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 05:44 PM
link   
reply to post by TortoiseKweek

what is that a threat?

Use common sense. do what shant does. go into the bank, and use the machine there.

reply to post by Shant

It's not the only way your card can get cloned. I never hand my card over to ANYBODY in shops. as they can 'skim' it in under a second when you are not looking at it.
used to happen all the time a Gas stations. they often pretend to drop your card/something else. then do it under the desk.

Another, one that is not very common, is the fake atm. the whole thing is fake. and can take your actual card.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 05:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by MR BOB

what is that a threat?

Use common sense. do what shant does. go into the bank, and use the machine there.

reply to post by Shant

It's not the only way your card can get cloned. I never hand my card over to ANYBODY in shops. as they can 'skim' it in under a second when you are not looking at it.
used to happen all the time a Gas stations. they often pretend to drop your card/something else. then do it under the desk.

Another, one that is not very common, is the fake atm. the whole thing is fake. and can take your actual card.

Grow up man, WHERE did I threaten You? You were the 1 being bombastic and arrogant. I merely asked for PROOF of Your claims - Now I'm "threatening"?

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 05:58 PM
link   
This is why I still refuse to this very day, to purchase things over the Internet.

I require a phone # so I can call the company personally and purchase items through a secure manner.

Also, I still visit local shops and stores to purchase items as it not only keeps me safe, it keeps the local economy alive.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 06:05 PM
link   
LOL you guys totally misunderstood each other.

No one is threatening anyone. Calm down

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash
This is why I still refuse to this very day, to purchase things over the Internet.

I require a phone # so I can call the company personally and purchase items through a secure manner.

Also, I still visit local shops and stores to purchase items as it not only keeps me safe, it keeps the local economy alive.

Hey Muzz,

Love Your posts! Awesome, thanks for contributing! The fact is, I didn't buy anything on the net. These guys (tried to) con Me, but RBC caught it. That's why I love my Bank - They (For once) protected Me! I merely trying to get it out and help others...

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 06:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash
LOL you guys totally misunderstood each other.

No one is threatening anyone. Calm down

That's why I love You Muzz, You see both ends, and make reason of it!

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 06:20 PM
link   

When you tell someone how am i going to avoid getting shot tomorrow, and then talk about bullets.

WTF is up with that?

you did not ask for proof. If you want proof then search for yourself THEN ask.
consumerist.com...
www.boingboing.net...
www.aboutidentitytheft.co.uk...
jasonwillison.files.wordpress.com...
en.wikipedia.org...

hows that for proof.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by MR BOB

When you tell someone how am i going to avoid getting shot tomorrow, and then talk about bullets.

WTF is up with that?

you did not ask for proof. If you want proof then search for yourself THEN ask.
consumerist.com...
www.boingboing.net...
www.aboutidentitytheft.co.uk...
jasonwillison.files.wordpress.com...
en.wikipedia.org...

hows that for proof.

You misunderstood me... It's a metaphor, NOT a personification!! MR BOB - Please let us be at peace with one 1 another! I Respectfully ask You! We may disagree on subjects, but we are ALL on this planet, and we should respectfully disagree! You accused me of threatening You, when I never DID.... Let's make the past the past, and move on!

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Lol i couldn't help but laugh when u said u love ur bank

do you kno how it actually operates ?

i kno this docu is Very negative..but it gives some useful insight

[edit on 4-5-2010 by Shant]

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 06:55 PM
link   
At an ATM near here outside a supermarket, one of the staff members actually caught two guys trying to fit the "skimming" machine with the little camera. I knew about these, and I always cover the numbers over while enter my pin with my purse. I have no idea if they digitally record the pin number nowadays, but it was via camera when I last heard about it.

But thankyou for the heads up. I'll be keeping a very close eye on my account in future, even though I don't have a credit card. I wish banks had better recovery methods for people who have been ripped off and stolen from though. Innocent people suffer the most, it seems to be the way of the world these days.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join