It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Archaeologists baffled over ‘bizarre’ Viking discovery

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 10:57 AM
link   
It seems they have found some new Viking Artifacts in Ireland, which have Archaeologists baffled over 'bizarre' Viking discovery

A TEAM of Irish archaeologists is puzzled by the "bizarre" discovery of a 1,150-year-old Viking necklace in a cave in the Burren.

Besides being the largest by far – up to 12 times longer than previous finds – the team is puzzled by how such a "high-status" Viking treasure came to lie in the Burren, an area never settled by the Norsemen.

It goes on to descirbe the Necklace

"The necklace is the largest Viking necklace to have been found in Ireland. Normally, Vikings necklaces that have been found have five to six glass beads, but this has 71 glass beads covered with gold foil."

A leading expert on Irish cave archaeology, Dr Dowd was puzzled by how such a "stunning piece of jewellery" came to rest in the Burren.

There is also a related article at Stunning Viking necklace found in Clare.

I was hoping for a Photo of the piece, but I guess that is something to await for in the future.

Ciao

Shane

[edit on 28-4-2010 by Shane]

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 11:09 AM
link   
maybe a viking warrior found a beautiful Irsih lass and gave her his most prized posseion. and their tale of love has found its way into the 21st century.

just dont have Dicaprio, Crowe, or Mel Gibson play the part in a movie

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 11:16 AM
link   
This is a cool discovery, I hope they find more. Everyday archeologists are finding things in ancient dig site, that totally go against the norm for history as it is taught.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Maybe he went for a walk and got gang banged by some shillelagh swinging Gaelic Niels.

Heck man this is only 10 miles from Westport. Are all these dirt diggers (archaeologists) this stupid? They seem to be a downright afflicted group with the highest know ration of dumb a**es per 1000.

[edit on 28-4-2010 by Logarock]

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by ReVoLuTiOn76
This is a cool discovery, I hope they find more. Everyday archeologists are finding things in ancient dig site, that totally go against the norm for history as it is taught.

I Second that!

Maybe this find is just like Logarock said, he went for a walk and died.

I mean, he was a viking, and they are WELL KNOWN for their love of alcohol, so it's not too far fetched to believe he go drunk and stumbled into an ambush waiting to pick off lone vikings. They weren't exactly liked for their good manners, ya' know.

One thing though, Logarock... not ALL archaeologist are stupid
It's actually my ambition to be one in the next 4 or 6 years. However long it takes to get my masters... I am starting in June
And I WILL for sure keep a very open mind about anything I find! I am an ATS'er after all!

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Actually, this is pretty common.
People just hear about it more due to news media.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 05:34 PM
link   
It's baffling that they are baffled. I mean, the vikings traveled close to a thousand miles on ships to get to Ireland and they find a necklace a few tens of miles away from a city they used to occupy and could probably get to on horseback? That is just the weirdest thing...

This is what the burren looks like..

www.youtube.com...

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 06:41 PM
link   
I'm guessing some insane, warp spasming Celt took it in battle from some frothing, Viking berserker.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 08:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Lebowski achiever

It's baffling that they are baffled.

Yes I do find this slightly amusing.

I would think this terminology would apply to things like the Kensington RuneStone. Found in a Farmers Field in Minnesota, I believe. That is baffling.

I expect they will find there was an outpost located nearby which was a "farmstead" for either crops or livestock. Just my opinion.

Besides, One can only rape and pillage for so long before One needs some foodstuffs and refreshments.

Oh and Seitler

One drinks Mead. It's made from Honey you know. It's quite tasty as well.

Ciao

Shane

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 10:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seitler

One thing though, Logarock... not ALL archaeologist are stupid

I know just razzin a bit. Poor guys are under such pressure to make big finds. The find itself may be good but the 10 miles from Westport is not a stretch.

top topics

join