It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It's a sad day for Happy Meals in Santa Clara County

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 05:58 AM
link   

It's a sad day for Happy Meals in Santa Clara County

www.latimes.com

Happy Meal toys and other promotions that come with high-calorie children's meals will soon be banned in parts of Santa Clara County unless the restaurants meet nutritional guidelines approved Tuesday by the county Board of Supervisors.

"This ordinance prevents restaurants from preying on children's' love of toys" to sell high-calorie, unhealthful food, said Supervisor Ken Yeager, who sponsored the measure. "This ordinance breaks the link between unhealthy food and prizes."
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 05:58 AM
link   
Looks like they did it, it's no longer a discussion, they voted 3-2 to get rid o'the Happy Meals..

What have we come to as a country when something we've become accustomed to over the past 30 - 40 years is suddenly being legislated out of existence, what's next, no more chocolate in our milk? C',om people, if this isn't a wake up call, then something is really wrong with our collective mindset.

www.latimes.com

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 06:27 AM
link   
reply to post by vkey08

Actually this is prob. the best thing to happen in the favor of the kids future possible.

No child should be eating that poison anyway. Good to start them early.

I don't care what label that puts on me. Kids still shouldn't eat that #.

[edit on 28-4-2010 by GreenBicMan]

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 06:37 AM
link   
Anyone who protests this, isn't fit to have children.

Its just till they bring it within nutritional guidelines.

Who could be against that? Besides the evil corporation themselves.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 07:09 AM
link   
A McHAPPY MEAL IS A McCRAPPY MEAL

They should burn down all McDonalds resturants.

With this crap being fed to kids around the world it's no wonder they are becoming such lard arses.

Using predatory gimmicks to get children to nag their parents senseless for this rubbish.

[edit on 28-4-2010 by acrux]

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 07:09 AM
link   

No child should be eating that poison anyway

No they shouldn't. Just thinking of it makes me feel

However, I do not need someone to tell me that as I have a brain. Why do we accept LAWS which try and legislate our personal decisions, which are no one's business, for the sake of the "children"?

The fact that we have become accustomed to to eating there and filling our bodies with this crap probably says something about us as a society which sin't too flattering.

But it's wrong to legislate it.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 07:13 AM
link   
I can't tell you how many kids SCREAM for mcdonalds and a happy meal. Wonder why kids are so obese and fat? Come on man, open your eyes. McDonalds is evil on soooooooooo many levels and the happy meal is arguably the worst. $2 for a kids meal is irresistible for parents when they have 3 kids screaming in the car for food while they are out shopping. The parents know the Happy meal will make their kids happy and shutup.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 07:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Merigold

Its not wrong to legislate it at all. Parents shouldn't have the right to feed their children poison just because its from a restaurant. Everything we do should be directed towards bettering the world for our children and childrens children.

McDonalds advertising is especially noxious.

I have been boycotting of McDonalds for ~5 years so far.

[edit on 28/4/10 by ghostsoldier]

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 07:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by ghostsoldier
Anyone who protests this, isn't fit to have children.

Its just till they bring it within nutritional guidelines.

Who could be against that? Besides the evil corporation themselves.

My kids don't eat at McDonalds, so that is just a very ad hom attack that needed not be made, I am against it on a level that if this becomes a normal practice, what else is on the block to be regulated or legislated out of our lives, tell me that you will feel the same way when something you enjoy or have enjoyed for years becomes illegal.

And no it's not just until they "up the nutrition" they are giving 90 days to do so or bye bye to the Happy Meals..

I am so against the government regulating everything and randomly deciding that it's bad for you it's not funny. We have to be allowed to, and be encouraged to make our own choices about what is good/bad in our lives, lest they ban something like Pineapple Juice because it's not grown here in the US.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 07:52 AM
link   
I dont get the point of this. Is it because parents dont know how to say no their kids? Any parent that was stupid enough to feed their kids this junk is going to keep doing it and any kid who wants this junk is going to continue wanting it.

I cant recall ever being interested in the "toy" when I was a kid. I dont think any of my friends or siblings were either. Sure, it was neat for all of 5 minutes but it's just crap. I would have rather had a second cheeseburger in the box.

This wont do any of the things they claim it will.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 07:54 AM
link   
reply to post by vkey08

I see where you are coming from but MCD's has been brainwashing kids since day 1 into their eating habits.

Same with me, I grew up on chicken nuggets and fries. No doubt the blame should be placed on parents as well.. but sometimes parents are more clueless than children unfortunately.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 08:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by vkey08

Looks like they did it, it's no longer a discussion, they voted 3-2 to get rid o'the Happy Meals..

What have we come to as a country when something we've become accustomed to over the past 30 - 40 years is suddenly being legislated out of existence, what's next, no more chocolate in our milk? C',om people, if this isn't a wake up call, then something is really wrong with our collective mindset.

www.latimes.com

I am a chocolate milkaholic. Hardcore. The only affliction that is worse for me is Baskin Robbins Peanut Butter and Chocolate ice cream. What i would like to see is the banning of non-food ingredients in our foods, like the wood cellulose used in chocolate milk and ice cream to make it seem more thick and rich.

I do not agree with the federal government making laws like this. But a local municipality should have every right to drive its community based on the voters of that community.

Being a Big Mac lover, i already know to stay away from Cali, with them cutting out my beloved trans fats.

I agree that McD's isn't the best foodstuff out there. But there are so many more important things. Liike the mercury i get while trying to get my Omega 3's from salmon. Or the heavy metals in our water. Hell, my municipality has failed state water quality inspections for 4 months in a row. Erin Brokavich has been active in a town about 30 miles away due to chromium contamination in several wells in the area.

We have problems that are far, far worse than McDonalds.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 08:45 AM
link   

No doubt the blame should be placed on parents as well

The blame should be placed solely on the parents.

Stop trying to control my life because you can't raise YOUR children.

Control the internet "for the children". Control the arts "for the children" ect; Where will it all lead to? How many rights are you willing to give up for the sake of the children?

We just take it, because we're to damn lazy to PARENT afterall it's so much easier to get em a happy meal....

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 08:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Merigold

I see you are in the UK.

I have heard the UK has the fastest growing obese children population.

I see that might not change either. Learn from America's mistakes. Just outright ban happy meals. Big #ing deal. So sometimes you gotta hold someones hand.

I do agree parents are to blame, but I can't say that I totally blame them because of rising healthy food costs, time constraints etc.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 09:15 AM
link   
The problem is twofold:

Parents have kids just to have the status of having kids in a lot of areas (or to get more Government Dollars) and they dont' care much about the children, so we evolve into a nanny state (Now I am not referring to anyone on this site mind you, just a general statistical observation)

The Nanny state, seeing it can get away with these small things, goes after the bigger things, what was it the other day? Salt? Salt.. used for hundreds of thousands of years to preserve meat etc, now all of a sudden, out of the blue they want to regulate the content? C'mon, until recent years, you never heard about the types of problems we're having with our children now. There's an underlying apathy twords anything responsible in society and that's where we all lose, the people in charge take that to mean we don't care if they legislate how much air we breathe in a day because they know we will just roll over and say "well it's an evil company so they deserve it" or "well it's poison and they deserve it" Both of those statements may be 100% and beyond true, does it give the government the right to step in and trample our rights to eat it? I can think of 3 or 4 places that are JUST as evil and poisonous to eat but they aren't affected because they don't' have toys in their kids meals. They get off, all over the sake of a toy, and parental apathy.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 09:20 AM
link   
No need to raise and watch out for your children. The goverment will do it for you. I bet many parents are relieved to give up the right to parent. They will grow up to be fine little soldiers, programed to kill for oil. Now parents will have more time to enjoy their anti-depressants.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 09:25 AM
link   

I see you are in the UK

And?

There are Mcdonalds here. There are fat kids here. There are lazy parents here. There are goverment intrusions in the guise of "protect the children" or catch the "vile terrorist" here.

You'd be surprised how very simliar the UK is to the US. It's why I live here. I miss home ( Tampa, Florida) and believe it or not where I live now reminds me most of home from any of the other places I have lived in Europe.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 09:32 AM
link   
when they finished giving away those happy meal watches, i quit buying happy meals... the batteries alone were worth something,
and i reused my cloth watchband

i still have a shoebox full of those other trinkets, FF (facimile) cell phone, and a couple of those beanie babby dolls too, among the junky toys gratis

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 09:39 AM
link   
reply to post by vkey08

I HATE Mcdonalds and everything they stand for , but I absolutely despise freedom choking legislation. It is compromises like this that have led us into a police and nanny state.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 09:51 AM
link   
Poor Ronald McDonald headed out the door right behind joe the Camel. Such a sad world they are creating the the goverment controls marketing. If your too successful you have to go.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join