It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama seeks to 'reconnect...young people, African-Americans, Latinos, and women' for 2010

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 10:35 AM
link   
I think he was under the impression that you were making racist remarks concerning your generalizations of white people.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by justinsweatt
How is Obama and the left going to resolve this issue: The African American community and their complete and total disavowal of the LGBT community.

Yes, Obama was able to get a large amount of the African American vote. What they don't tell you in those statistics is that in California, along with a very large Catholic Hispanic vote, turned out to vote against Prop 8 in droves when they saw Prop 8 on the ballot. So exactly how is all of this going to work out for him?

This will boil down to a numbers game. They must placate the numbers whiel doing the best they can with other groups.

By the way the republicans have actually made efforts to tap into the GL block without a great deal of fallout from its traditional backers. No conservitive would have dreamed of doing this 30 years ago.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 10:42 AM
link   
Let's talk about Obama's team here for a minute.

Look at these wonderful statements made by such paragons of refinement and tolerance.

Mahatma Gandhi "ran a gas station down in Saint Louis." -Senator Hillary Clinton

You cannot go to a 7-11 or Dunkin Donuts unless you have a slight Indian Accent." - VP Joe Biden

I mean, you got the first mainstream African American who is articulate and bright and clean and a nice looking guy. – Joseph Biden (Sen / V.P – D)

"Jews — that's J-E-W-S." -- Democratic state representative Bill McKinney on why his daughter Cynthia lost in 2002

"I do not think it is an exaggeration at all to say to my friend from West Virginia [Sen. Robert C. Byrd, a former Ku Klux Klan recruiter] that he would have been a great senator at any moment. . . . He would have been right during the great conflict of civil war in this nation."

--Sen. Christopher Dodd (D., Conn.), 2004
Chairman, Committee on Banking, Housing and Urban Affairs
Candidate for the Democratic presidential nomination, 2008

"I'll have those n*ggers voting Democratic for the next 200 years."

-- Lyndon B. Johnson to two governors on Air Force One according Ronald Kessler's Book, "Inside The White House"

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

Originally posted by Logarock
Do you realize what you have just said here?

I do.

My point is that, in this particular ad, Obama is reaching out to the people who historically don't turn out in mid-term elections. White men usually DO vote in mid-term elections, so this particular ad is not aimed at that demographic. It's aimed at blacks, Latinos, young people and women. Nothing racist about it. He's trying to reach the people who normally DON'T vote in mid term elections.

Why don't you tell me what you THINK I said.

Oh yes god forbid he would be left to a bunch of people that normaly vote durring the mid-term.
Got to get those out that dont normaly vote midterm and then maybe he will have a chance.

But in fairness to Obama and his handlers certainly know by now it really is a left/right thing with those that normaly vote.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Imagine if George Bush had said
"All white males need to come out and vote to keep my vision for America alive".

Would that be acceptable?

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 10:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Logarock

So, you're not going to tell me what you think I said. Fine.

Here's a Mid-Term Demographic Map. If you play around with it, you'll see that white men are the demographic, statistically, that turn out for mid-terms.

Just because a person talks about race and demographics doesn't make them a racist. That's just stupid. Eons of elections have concentrated on demographics. I wonder why, when Obama does it, it's suddenly treated by some as if it's something totally new and disgraceful!

Originally posted by GuyverUnit I
"All white males need to come out and vote to keep my vision for America alive".

If white males overwhelmingly voted for him and they were a demographic that historically didn't vote in mid-term elections, then yes, it would be perfectly acceptable.

God, some of the PC crap I hear around here amazes me! It's like you can't mention race or minorities without being called a bigot. Toughen up, guys. Elections USE demographic information. Race, age, gender... it's how it works.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 10:59 AM
link   

This just shows us how racist the conservatives are not. Why? Because the right knows it can go after the minority vote its way and still come back to find thier traditional supporters on board. Well, save for Colin Powell that needed so badly to shake the Uncle Tom thingy.

Only a lame liberal has to remind its minority voting bace to get out and vote or whity may win. Or bad mouth someone like Condi Rice to shore up its minority mindset.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

"All white males need to come out and vote to keep my vision for America alive". Would that be acceptable?
If white males overwhelmingly voted for him and they were a demographic that historically didn't vote in mid-term elections, then yes, it would be perfectly acceptable.
Tell me you honestly think the media would not spin that against Bush to destroy him despite you believing it "acceptable"? Would you have come out in defense of Bush if they did do that?

Help me understand...

God, some of the PC crap I hear around here amazes me!
I find it strange a liberal would refer to political correctness as crap.
PC is the very backbone of the liberal agenda. There is not a single policy put forth by liberals that does not directly employ PC as a means to sell the policy to the public. And it is the catch all weapon used against conservative ideals.

It's like you can't mention race or minorities without being called a bigot.
This statement is especially ironic coming from a liberal.

Toughen up, guys. Elections USE demographic information. Race, age, gender... it's how it works.
You admonish "PC crap" and then turn around and say "toughen up" because PC crap is "how it works." It seems there is a contradiction.

[edit on 27-4-2010 by GuyverUnit I]

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 02:26 PM
link   
yup if bush had said : hey all you whitey,gun toting,religious nuts vote this midterm.

it would be playing non stop around the clock and he would be bashed to no end.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 06:22 AM
link   
I've been following this thread, and it makes me wonder if some of those commenting took the time to actually listen to the President's words in this speech. So, just in case, let's have a look at them -- get the feel of the statement in context.

Today, I'd like to talk with you about the important role each of us will play in 2010; a role that began more than three years ago, when we set out on an incredible journey to change this country for the better.
Despite the challenges we inherited, we have made great progress.
When I took office, our economy was in crisis.
Our standing in the world was diminished.
Our health care system wasn't working for far too many American families.
Many people wondered why it seemed like bad behaviour on Wall Street was being rewarded, while hard work on Main Street wasn't.
Because of you, we are making the change that our nation so desperately needs.
We have passed historic health reform legislation.
We have put our nation back on the path to prosperity with the Recovery Act, and we are moving America forward one step at a time.
But despite everything we've done, our work isn't finished.
Today, the health insurance companies, the Wall Street banks, and the special interests who have ruled Washington for too long, are already focused on November's congressional elections.
They see these elections as a chance to put their allies back in power and undo all that we have accomplished.
So this year, I need your help once more.
A few months ago, we asked you to help us set our priorities for 2010 and tell us how you thought we could win elections at all levels of government.
You told us your first priority was to make sure the same people who were inspired to vote for the first time in 2008, go back to the polls in 2010, so that's what we're going to do.
This year, we're going to reconnect with voters like Claudia Schultz.
At 29 years old, Claudia has never been involved in the political process, because she didn't think one person could make a difference;
But in 2008, Claudia joined millions of other supporters like you, and made her first-ever trip to the polls.
In 2010, it will be up to each of you to ask folks like Claudia to stay involved, and to explain why this year, the stakes are higher than ever.
It will be up to each of you to make sure that the young people, African-Americans, Latinos, and women, who powered our victory in 2008, stand together once again.
It will be up to each of you to keep our nation moving forward, to keep working to fix Washington, to keep growing our economy, and to keep building a fairer, stronger, and more just America.
If you help us do that -- if you help us make sure that first-time voters in 2008 make their voices heard again in November, then together we will deliver on the promise of change, and hope, and prosperity for generations to come.
Thanks.

So, while I disagree with some of President Obama's assertions, I see this speech as little more than an election campaign. Lots of "we" in that speech -- very clever. I don't see anything racist. It does seem to assume that the majority of the first-time voters in 2008 fit within fairly precise demographics, however I wouldn't doubt that those figures are supportable.

He is speaking to the voters who put him in office in general, and the "new" (first-time) voters in particular. My opinion is that he's basically saying "don't give up on us, you were part of the process in 2008, and you're needed now to keep us in power." How "we" are supposed to "make sure" that first-time voters in 2008 vote again in November is beyond me, and much as I'd like to view that statement as something draconian, I really can't.

What I did find particularly interesting, is that the President didn't specifically make reference to the GLBT young or new voters; that seems somewhat strategic to me, or perhaps he figures those that were on-board in 2008 will be again.

In short, I see this as just a campaign speech, and worth no more or less, nor carrying no more or less truth than any other.

[edit on 28/4/10 by argentus]

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 06:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Well put! Just in case the sarcasm got missed I agree. Politicians do try to get themselves and their parties voted in. mUch ado about nothing. White males can rest assured.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 06:59 AM
link   
reply to post by dolphinfan

Get over yourself!! they owe us the right to live! They are doing the right thing do not need to pay to keep ourselves healthy. It is a right of life!!!!!!!!!
I am in australia I can go to the doctor everyday! Just to get my hair on my scrotum checked for free, and I work full time and pay taxes!!!! That is my right! i DONT NEED TO PAY $20000 A YEAR!!!!

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 07:43 AM
link   
Being a part of one of the groups he mentioned (women) just makes me feel kind of ill...

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 08:30 AM
link   
reply to post by argentus

Would it be off topic to bash the glowing and blatant lies that he said in that little speech of his?

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 09:03 AM
link   
White males need not apply. Fine by me. Just proves my point that he is a degenerate racist that only cares about brutha bluud.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 03:40 PM
link   
reply to post by justinsweatt

Would it be off topic to bash the glowing and blatant lies that he said in that little speech of his?

I'd have to guess that, yes, it would be off-topic to do so, which is primarily why I curtailed myself. Also I didn't think of them as "lies" so much as exaggerations. Misleading. In fact, to me, the tone of the speech seems a tad worried, perhaps fearful, but not out of line of other mid-term presidential speechs.

Nothing wrong with having hope, and I still hope that the President can do what he said he would when running for office. He's allowed hope too. I think he did himself a disservice by speaking so strongly against the Arizona Immigration Bill. Now

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by shai hulud

White males need not apply. Fine by me. Just proves my point that he is a degenerate racist that only cares about brutha bluud.

I think we all see what we want to in the President's speech. Your statement seems well in line with your avatar -- William "D-Fense" Foster in Falling Down. He was a simple, hardworking man that just wanted to get home for his daughter's birthday, never quite understanding that his own perceptions caused or contributed to the events around him. Good movie.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 03:48 PM
link   
I have to assume that he doesn't want my vote anymore because I'm an old white guy.

You can't end discrimination by singling out people of color.

He should be concentrating on all people but he's already turned off way too many people.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Ummm....

Before we all jump to vitriolic conclusions and start accusing Obama of being a "racist", have any of you considered that he possibly said that because historically blacks and other minorities have had considerably lower voter turnouts than white people?

Take a look at these figures. It's obvious he's just trying to convince minorities to have a say in the political process. Just like all presidents before him have pandered to the minority vote.

You people will do anything it takes to jump all over the man. What a shame.

(However, it would seem that women in general are better voters than men, as they almost always have a higher voter turnout, so I'm not really sure what his intent was there.)

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join