It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How different would the world today be if the Roman empire didn't fall?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Just imagine Roman Empire not falling and there were no Dark Ages. How different of a world it would have been if that scenario happened? Would you speculate the world today would be less technologically advanced or more technologically advanced?

Thanks.

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 04:47 PM
link   
I kind of feel that the roman empire never fell, that it continued on through the Roman Catholic Church. I find it interesting that around the time of the fall of rome the bible was put together.

Look at how wide spread Catholicism is and how the Church acted when invading the new world. They made sure any native religions were destroyed and they converted everyone they could.

Now to answer your question, that is a tough one. I would say we would be less technologically advanced but that is just based on my feeling, i have no idea but it is a great question.

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by BeastMaster2012
I kind of feel that the roman empire never fell, that it continued on through the Roman Catholic Church. I find it interesting that around the time of the fall of rome the bible was put together.

Look at how wide spread Catholicism is and how the Church acted when invading the new world. They made sure any native religions were destroyed and they converted everyone they could.

Now to answer your question, that is a tough one. I would say we would be less technologically advanced but that is just based on my feeling, i have no idea but it is a great question.

Also, while at it, let's assume two scenarios:
Alternate timeline A: Roman Empire continuing without Christianity
Alternate timeline B: Roman Empire continuing with Christianity

Would be interesting speculation.

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Na its not how the world works, cycles drive the world, so it really is not possible.

The people running this world believe in cycles and they are right in that.

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by sphinx551
Also, while at it, let's assume two scenarios:
Alternate timeline A: Roman Empire continuing without Christianity
Alternate timeline B: Roman Empire continuing with Christianity

Would be interesting speculation.

Ok, in this case if the church did not invade and kill off the Mayans and all other south American people, the world would be a better place. We would know exactly what the Mayans meant to happen in 2012 (probably) IF the Aztecs knew what happened.

The Church burnt every single book they could find when invading central america. Only 4 books (codex) have been found from the mayans.

Who knows what kind of technology could have been built or carried on from the Mesoamericans.

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 05:01 PM
link   
reply to post by sphinx551

First thoughts;
Modern technology started with the Industrial Revolution.
Which was probably financed partly by the profits of world sea trade.
Which was stimulated by the fact that mediaeval Europe felt hemmed in by powerful Islam, and wanted to find a sea-route to China.

If a united Roman Empire had not felt hemmed in, and they had been able to develop land trade-routes with China-
Might this process have been slowed down?

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 07:18 PM
link   
wouldn't be much difference in reality, government oppression and conformation...and if the major one if you say or go against the governing power you are tortured or exiled or feed to lions or in slavery...

Come to think of it there would be absolutely no difference to toady

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 01:51 AM
link   

Interesting question, it reminded me of a chart I once saw:

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Exuberant1

Although that graph is pretty F'in awesome and i do despise the church, did the romans really invent a bunch of stuff? I am really not sure because i am not too familiar with the romans. I know they had the aqueducts but the Mayans were doing the same thing. They didn't invent the wheel and they didn't invent the chariot warriors. They didn't invent electricity or much else. They didn't invent roads, but they did improve them.

Again, i don't know much about the Romans because they never fascinated me that much. The greeks are far more interesting because they lived peacefully with Egypt and shared info and schooling.

The romans were masters of war and killing, which hey, sounds kind of like the Roman Catholic Church! INQUISITION anybody!?

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Exuberant1

Something is telling that we would have exploring the Milky Way galaxy or even other galaxies by now. Something is "ringing" true about that chart.

[edit on 26-4-2010 by sphinx551]

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 03:56 PM
link   
Maybe the Roman Empire did not really fall, but rather packed up and relocated.

Although the geo-political entity that was headquartered in Rome began to crumble around 400 A.D., this fall could be largely due to the elite that lead this entity moving elsewhere. This elite class thrived in Byzantium and may have been the driving force behind many of the accomplishments of the Islamic empire. This elite class could have then moved back to Europe and then moved over to the United States.

As things are now transpiring, many leaders in business and technology are moving from the US and Europe and setting up shop in China. America is not falling, as much as China is absorbing America's wealth and talent.

So in sense, you can still walk the streets of the Roman Empire in all its glory! You just have to go to Shanghai to do it!

[edit on 26-4-2010 by hotpinkurinalmint]

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 08:58 PM
link   
reply to post by BeastMaster2012

The romans were masters of war and killing, which hey, sounds kind of like the Roman Catholic Church! INQUISITION anybody!?

LOL yes
The Roman Catholic Church is not a Christian organization, it was designed by the romans to control the blossoming Christian movement that untill the Roman created the church was an illegal movement.

The Roman Catholic Church sect and it's rules as well it's whole setup has been a master of manipulation, conformation and control since Roman times...

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 09:14 PM
link   
As far as the arts are concerned actors,musicians and artists would still be considered lower class, and would never be taken seriously or allowed a voice in the political arena. No Brad Pitts, no Oprahs, no Jane Fondas, no Arnolds, no Jesse, no Reagan.

new topics

top topics

join