It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Article: Utah killer to die by firing squad

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 09:42 PM
link   
Guardian.co.uk

A convicted killer in Utah today chose to be executed by firing squad, a method only rarely used in that state and banned almost everywhere else in the US.

This person Ronnie Lee Gardner has chosen to be fired upon by police instead of Lethal injection a probable less painful method to depart from outsiders perspective. I was not aware that USA had this type of capitol punishment available in 2010. This action seems strange to me personaly to choose 5 white-hot rounds over a few needlepoints.
Does he feel remorse and want the terrible demise over guilt, or is he a person that wants terrible pain?

further reading on firing Squads in the world.

History of Firing Squads Wiki

Methods of execution by Country

Utah and the use of Firing Squads

edit for proper language

[edit on 23-4-2010 by dntwastetime]

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 09:52 PM
link   
reply to post by dntwastetime

Utah joined the rest of the US in banning firing squads in 2004, mainly owing to embarrassment at the hordes of media which descended for earlier executions and portrayed the state's justice system as a relic of the wild west.

But Gardner is one of about 10 prisoners who were sentenced to death before the ban and so have to be offered the choice. Some of the others have also said they will opt for the firing squad.

So there you have it. It wasnt against the law then, but itis now. Though, he was charged before all of this, so he still gets to die by FS if he so chooses.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 10:03 PM
link   
This should be the only way to execute criminals, every other way is too inhumane. A few simultaneous shots to head is not painful.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 10:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by dntwastetime
This action seems strange to me personaly to choose 5 white-hot rounds over a few needlepoints.

...he's been on death row for 25yrs, so its probably a fair bet that theres a lot about him that you'd find strange...

Originally posted by dntwastetime
Does he feel remorse and want the terrible demise over guilt, or is he a person that wants terrible pain?

...uh, no... he's not capable of remorse or guilt... he chose execution via firing squad because he figured that option would always cause delays and it has... just because he's a murdering psycho doesnt mean he's not intelligent...

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 10:32 PM
link   
reply to post by dntwastetime

Who will the shooters be? How would they be selected? I dont think I know anyone that could pull the trigger and not be guilty of murder themselves. Including myself. What a screwed up deal. Theres no way to intentionally kill anyone and it not be murder. (unless its in the direct path of saving lives)

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 12:21 AM
link   
I think someone else got the firing squad in the 90's. personally I'd rather get guillotined

top topics

join