It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Arizona Governor Signs Controversial Immigration Enforcement Bill

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Arizona Governor Signs Controversial Immigration Enforcement Bill

www.foxnews.com

Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer on Friday signed into law a controversial bill that seeks to crack down on illegal immigration.

The sweeping measure will make it a crime under state law to be in the country illegally. It will also require local police officers to question people about their immigration status if there is reason to suspect they are in the country illegally.

It takes effect 90 days after the current legislative sessions end in the next several weeks.

Before signing the bill, Brewer called the measure "another step forward in protecting the state of Arizona."

She said the b
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 23-4-2010 by WWJFKD]

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 05:10 PM
link   
So Arizona has just enacted a law making it illegal to be an illegal alien in their state. Now how much of a shame is it that Arizona's Governor had to take this drastic action because the Federal government was not willing to do its job in the first place?

Article IV, Section 4 of the U.S. Constitution

"The United States shall guarantee to every State in this Union a Republican Form of Government, and shall protect each of them against invasion; and on Application of the Legislature, or of the Executive (when the Legislature cannot be convened) against domestic Violence."

Obama Blasts Pending Arizona Immigration Law: "Irresponsibility"

President Obama used a naturalization ceremony in the Rose Garden to lash out at the Arizona Legislature for passing a bill requiring proof of legal status and empowering state and local police to stop people based on a suspicion of being illegal immigrants.

Obama called for comprehensive immigration reform and said Washington's failure to act has bred a climate of fear and retribution in some border states. He singled out the Arizona bill - which would make it crime to be in the state without documentation - now before Republican Gov. Janice Brewer. The governor has until Saturday to decide whether to sign it, veto it or allow it to become law without her signature.

"Our failure to act responsibly at the federal level will only open the door to irresponsibility by others," Obama said. "That includes, for example, the recent efforts in Arizona, which threatened to undermine basic notions of fairness that we cherish as Americans, as well as the trust between police and their communities that is so crucial to keeping us safe."

Obama said the administration will "closely monitor the situation and examine the civil rights and other implications of this legislation."

whitehouse.blogs.foxnews.com...

In the meantime a mini riot is forming on the steps of the Arizona Capitol building which the Federal government is monitoring closely. Does one not see the potential for the martial law scenario here, all of which would have been unnecessary if they had just done their job to begin with but maybe that's been the game plan all along.

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 05:27 PM
link   
Way to go Arizona!!!!! huge thumbs up
It's ashame though that they're doing what the US goverment should've done a long time ago.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 05:32 PM
link   
it will be interesting to see how far the federal government and la raza and whatever other groups support illegal immigrantion will go to overturn this law..

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chance321
Way to go Arizona!!!!! huge thumbs up
It's ashame though that they're doing what the US goverment should've done a long time ago.

It really is a shame that this Government refuses to do its duties enumerated in the Constitution but is constantly involved in all kinds of special interest projects in complete circumvention of that same Constitution. The duties of the Federal government are clearly stated in the Constitution and one those is the protection of our Borders.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheCoffinman
it will be interesting to see how far the federal government and la raza and whatever other groups support illegal immigrantion will go to overturn this law..

The people fighting this bill will not necessarily be supporters of illegal immigration. They may be fighting the mandated use of racial profiling that basically makes anyone that isn't white a target. American citizens shouldn't have to prove their citizenship based on the color of their skin.

I can only imagine the outcry and damage to the Republican party after a few horror stories of American citizens being harassed and thrown into jail for a petty offense like jay walking due to not being able to prove they were citizens at the time of the ticket.

[edit on 23-4-2010 by Kaploink]

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 05:46 PM
link   
My only concern is that I wonder what will be considered "reason to suspect they are in the country illegally". Driving while brown? The potential for profiling is very high.

I agree that if the federal government isn't going to do its job, then the states should have a right to protect themselves. I'm hoping that this will give the federal government the shot in the arm that it needs to get off its butt and do something about illegal immigration in this country.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 06:00 PM
link   
www.azcentral.com...

Scenes from the Arizona State Capital

Groups supporting and opposing SB 1070, the Immigration Bill, work to attract attention at the capital

"We will grab our Shovels and our pick axes and our plungers that we use to clean your toilets with and we will use them against you" As quoted by a member in the protest around the capitol.

[edit on 23-4-2010 by WWJFKD]

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
My only concern is that I wonder what will be considered "reason to suspect they are in the country illegally". Driving while brown? The potential for profiling is very high.

Valid concern .

I live next door to AZ. We have a lot of cars driving around this area with Mexican Plates or huge Mexican flag in the rear window or bumper stickers of the same. Or when the individual has a very limited English vocabulary . These would be on my list first to check .

Really ideally they should put a qualifier can be stopped and checked only is a traffic violation or crime has occurred.

The county I live in has a large Spanish or Hispanic population (which ever is PC today )which has owned land here since the 1600s. Most here really despise the illegals . They feel do it the right way and will welcome them with open arms. Go home if illegal they come back the right way .

We need to do something since the Government is preoccupied with other things .

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 06:16 PM
link   
reply to post by WWJFKD

I have a feeling that SOMETHING bad is going to come from this. Those protesters aren't going to go very long without going physical...

Here's the actual bill.

Bill SB1070

FOR ANY LAWFUL CONTACT MADE BY A LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICIAL OR AGENCY OF THIS STATE OR A COUNTY, CITY, TOWN OR OTHER POLITICAL SUBDIVISION OF THIS STATE WHERE REASONABLE SUSPICION EXISTS THAT THE PERSON IS AN ALIEN WHO IS UNLAWFULLY PRESENT IN THE UNITED STATES, A REASONABLE ATTEMPT SHALL BE MADE, WHEN PRACTICABLE, TO DETERMINE THE IMMIGRATION STATUS OF THE PERSON. THE PERSON'S IMMIGRATION STATUS SHALL BE VERIFIED WITH THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT PURSUANT TO 8 UNITED STATES CODE SECTION 1373(c).
A LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICER IS INDEMNIFIED BY THE LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICER'S AGENCY AGAINST REASONABLE COSTS AND EXPENSES, INCLUDING ATTORNEY FEES, INCURRED BY THE OFFICER IN CONNECTION WITH ANY ACTION, SUIT OR PROCEEDING BROUGHT PURSUANT TO THIS SECTION TO WHICH THE OFFICER MAY BE A PARTY BY REASON OF THE OFFICER BEING OR HAVING BEEN A MEMBER OF THE LAW ENFORCEMENT AGENCY, EXCEPT IN RELATION TO MATTERS IN WHICH THE OFFICER IS ADJUDGED TO HAVE ACTED IN BAD FAITH.
"SOLICIT" MEANS VERBAL OR NONVERBAL COMMUNICATION BY A GESTURE OR A NOD THAT WOULD INDICATE TO A REASONABLE PERSON THAT A PERSON IS WILLING TO BE EMPLOYED.

So, the cop says that the suspect nodded his head and he took it to mean that he was looking for illegal employment and the cop is completely protected by this bill. He can do just about anything as long as the the agency says he was acting in good faith.

This is going to get real ugly. And maybe that's what has to happen for it to change.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 06:16 PM
link   
reply to post by WWJFKD

SHAME WTF are you talking about--white people stole the land from the mexican indians anyway--I personally hope that the mex's tortch the state, loot ,rob and pillage. It is unconstitunal for the us citizens and another way for the state pigs to stop and harass, and bring fear to the state. If any of you dont see this clearly you are anti-god. ANTI-HUMAN

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 06:21 PM
link   
Well if I was the police I would be organizing to block off the exits of the capitol building and start rounding them up and get started early. It's pretty sad that a state had to pass a law in order to enforce the constitutional duties of the Federal government.

For all the people worried about "profiling" what is your solution to figure out if people are here illegally or not? Unfortunately upwards of 80% of the illegal immigrants are of Spanish decent. It's not that difficult, to determine if people are here legally or not. Carry your green card or Visa. If you forgot it then you take a trip down to the police station and everything gets sorted out.

You can blame these measures on the Federal Government for failing to uphold the law in the first place. So don't get mad at AZ for doing what is necessary to fix the problem. Yes it sucks, but it's a problem that has to be dealt with and honestly this is the only way I can see it being dealt with.

I don't agree with the legals having to carry around their papers because the potential to expand that to every citizen is there, but sometimes the only weapon is the double edged sword.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lostinthedarkness
I live next door to AZ.

So do I.
And I lived in Phoenix for 15 years. I am very aware of the illegal immigration issues. I wish the government would do something about it.

Really ideally they should put a qualifier can be stopped and checked only is a traffic violation or crime has occurred.

I totally agree. But they don't need anything but "reasonable suspicion". And it's not defined. So, is brown skin reasonable suspicion? If the cop says it is, it is. MAJOR potential for corruption. This ain't gonna be pretty.

But you know, when the federal immigration and customs starts filling up with illegal immigrants, then the feds will HAVE to do something. I suppose they could let them go...

IF AN ALIEN WHO IS UNLAWFULLY PRESENT IN THE UNITED STATES IS CONVICTED OF A VIOLATION OF STATE OR LOCAL LAW, ON DISCHARGE FROM IMPRISONMENT OR ASSESSMENT OF ANY FINE THAT IS IMPOSED, THE ALIEN SHALL BE TRANSFERRED IMMEDIATELY TO THE CUSTODY OF THE UNITED STATES IMMIGRATION AND CUSTOMS ENFORCEMENT OR THE UNITED STATES CUSTOMS AND BORDER PROTECTION.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by itsawild1
reply to post by WWJFKD

SHAME WTF are you talking about--white people stole the land from the mexican indians anyway--I personally hope that the mex's tortch the state, loot ,rob and pillage. It is unconstitunal for the us citizens and another way for the state pigs to stop and harass, and bring fear to the state. If any of you dont see this clearly you are anti-god. ANTI-HUMAN

Be careful what you hope for you may well get it. The United States used to keep slaves on their plantations too. I can't do anything about what is the past but learn from it.

The real shame here is how this very brave Governor has had to take this step which would have been completely unnecessary if the Government had just done the job to begin with. Now this Governor is going to take the brunt of the blame, unfairly, for inciting a riot. And you want to talk agent provocateurs in protests - wait until MS-13 and La-Raza get involved in this. Will be lucky if this doesn't kick off the whole shooting match in this country.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Well Arizona thinks they have problems with the illegal immigrants violence as well as costing them money. Just wait until a few free Americans get accosted, abused or slaughtered for resisting illegal arrests by their jack booted thugs like the NAZI PIGS did in WWII.

It wont just be profiling brown skin people there, just like insurance laws that get you $500 tickets for not having or carrying a card while driving, not having or being satisfied with your ID or just plain wanting to use their law to harass anyone (as LEO's often do) they can arrest you, justifiably kill you if you resist and or drag you through their jails & court system while ruining your life - for what now - not having proper ID.

This gives far to much power to law enforcement minions who will see it as a means to wield unwarranted power over common people and abuse them if LEOS feel they can't get them for anything else or as a means to punish them for not being cooperative enough or just plain sarcastic towards a LEO.

I look forward to the day that people file and win multimillion dollar lawsuits against the state of Arizona for trampling on their civil rights.

[edit on 23-4-2010 by verylowfrequency]

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 06:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Kaploink

ur assuming... its a funny case your trying to make becasue id be willing to bet that 99% of the illegal immigrants there are... Mexican. if you can make a valid case to me and others that there is a percentage point amount of any other kind of ILLEGAL immigrant in arizona then ill retract my words...

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 06:42 PM
link   
reply to post by verylowfrequency

Not going to happen, legal citizens won't be messed with. They sure as hell won't be resisting violently either. Most will understand this is the solution to the problem that needs to be dealt with.

As I've said it sucks with the way it has to be dealt with, but its the only solution to the problem. It will also be funny to see them trying to justify giving Amnesty to illegals when they start acting out.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 06:51 PM
link   
reply to post by itsawild1

Before it was the Mexicans . AZ was fragmented with Hopi, Zuni , Pima , Apache, Papagos and Navajos.

Mexican is a sometimes used term for a family of people of mixed parentage of American Indian and Spanish conquistadors or Spanish settlers.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 06:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Light of Night

Certainly you are correct in most cases one must hope. My point is that this opens the door up for abuse and there will be abuse by some, no doubt. The only question is, will the law make enough of a difference that justifies the cost of abuse that will certainly happen.

I'm not there, so I don't deal with it as you do - though we do have illegals here in WA, they are not as prolific or problematic here, yet. I don't have the answers, but I will not ever accept having to show my papers on a regular basis as I would consider that hindering my free movement and unnecessary harassment. I suppose with new technology though they'll just read my plate or drivers license from a distance which removes most the harassment.

[edit on 23-4-2010 by verylowfrequency]

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 06:58 PM
link   
It's about damn time a state has taken a stand! I just hope they can keep the Unrest under control...

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join