It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Did Iceland's God of thunder, THOR, Make an appearance in the volcano?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 02:21 PM
link   
First, let me say that I don't normally even post in this forum but I just have to share this image.

I had downloaded this incredible picture of the Eyjafjallajokull erruption the other day. (I can't for the life of me find the original link to give proper credit, so if anyone has it, please post it for me). It is a time-elapsed photo of the 'dirty lightening' storm that you sometimes see inside a volcanic erruption. I have been noticing as I look at these pictures that they tend to have the same characteristics as pictures of flames: you often can see faces in it.

So when I enlarged this picture for my desktop wallpaper I immediately saw the face looking out from the side of the plume, looking towards the earth. It was an interesting face, with some sort of pointed hat.

Well, today I decided to do a quick history search on Iceland just for the heck of it, since it was such a unique, distinct look. I was floored. I never expected to find anything. The very first link I went to had a picture of an ancient statue of Thor. This is a bronze statue dated from about AD 1000. From Iceland. Apparently they originally were pagans that worshed several God's, Thor being one of them. He was the God of Thunder.

Here are the images and some comparisons. Oh....and no, I don't REALLY believe that Thor is in the volcano....or is he??

Original image:

A close up of the face:

Here is a picture of the AD1000 bronze statue of Thor:

From Wiki:

Icelandic statue

A seated bronze statue of Thor (about 6.4 cm) known as the Eyarland statue from about AD 1000 was recovered at a farm near Akureyri, Iceland and is a featured display at the National Museum of Iceland. Thor is holding Mjöllnir, sculpted in the typically Icelandic cross-like shape. It has been suggested that the statue is related to a scene from Þrymskviða where Thor recovers his hammer while seated by grasping it with both hands during the wedding ceremony.[8]

Some history:

Main article: Christianisation of Iceland

The settlers of Iceland were dominantly pagans and worshipped the Norse gods, among them Odin, Thor, Freyr and Freyja. However, by the 10th century political pressure from Europe to convert to Christianity mounted. As the end of the millennium grew near many prominent Icelanders had accepted the new faith. In the year 1000, as a civil war between the religious groups seemed likely, the Alþing appointed one of the chieftains, Þorgeirr Ljósvetningagoði, to decide the issue of religion by arbitration. He decided that the country should convert to Christianity as a whole, but that pagans would be allowed to worship secretly

Thor is the red-haired and bearded[2][3] god of thunder in Germanic mythology and Germanic paganism, and its subsets: Norse paganism, Anglo-Saxon paganism and Continental Germanic paganism.

Thor was appealed to for protection on numerous objects found from various Germanic tribes. Miniature replicas of Mjöllnir, the weapon of Thor, became a defiant symbol of Norse paganism during the Christianization of Scandinavia.[4][5]

Source: Wiki
Wiji-history of Iceland

Lastly, for those that don't find the image so obvious:

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 02:44 PM
link   
that reminds me of the images of the mans face innthe plume of smoke on the twin towers on 9/11

also just thought id add there is what looks like an eye on the right side

[edit on 22/4/2010 by kerrichin]

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 02:47 PM
link   
There is also a picture of the eruption from space that looks kind of like a nightmarish gray alien face.

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 02:51 PM
link   
reply to post by kerrichin

I also can see what looks like an eye. I actually see several faces in this picture, but the one I posted about 'Thor' was the most obvious. I know that a lot of cultures believe in a connection between volcanos and different God's, so when I saw the statue picture it just kinda gave me chills. Funny coincidence, I guess! OR??????

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 03:00 PM
link   
I think this is a very interesting thread and though I do not believe that Thor manifested himself in the volcano, the image sure does look incredible and it looks like a face has appeared. However that said I see faces in clouds and in the darkness above my head when I try to sleep very often so I may not be the best judge of such things.

However the face does not look like it has come from Norse mythology but rather from Middle Eastern lore. Upon looking at the face the first thing I imaged was an Arabian Djinn. Also the Djinn if it is such an elemental seems to have had a bit of a punch-up and the eye on the right looks painfully swollen. Perhaps he scraped his face up the insides of the volcano and that could explain the painfull looking swelling. I even see a topknot type hairstyle – A very unnerving coincidence indeed.

Stared and flagged just for the incredible imagery and for giving me something to zoom into and stare at very intensely for the past twenty minutes, thank you.

Perhaps there is a more simple explanation for the face and it could simply be that the ancient gods are returning? (me hides)

[edit on 22-4-2010 by SmokeJaguar67]

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 03:05 PM
link   
i know waht you mean about lots of faces heres another one i have found right next to the thor one

[edit on 22/4/2010 by kerrichin]

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 03:09 PM
link   
First he creates the lights and the magic....

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/497c5baa7181.jpg[/atsimg]

then TADAAAAA!!!! Thor is Back!

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/3a021d5d6b9c.jpg[/atsimg]

looks like he means business too! =)

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 03:26 PM
link   
wow!!

ive never seen 'dirty lightning' in a volcano!

that is some craazyy stuff!!

looks..
soo...
..... violent!!

man, beautiful.
thanks for sharing!

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Maybe its the other way round, maybe the vikings created their image of Thor, because they interpreted it into a volcanic eruption, much like we do right now.

Nontheless incredible pictures, if id be a viking a thousand years ago, my imagination would run wild too and id start seeing things and deify them.

Again, great pictures

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by DarkspARCS

Incredible pictures.....thank you! I can see it there too...cool.

Also, if you click on the link to the history you can read about how the story goes that Thors two daughters tried to kill him. The first by squating over a river and flooding it, the second by throwing his chair up into the ceiling. :

... one of his two daughters, Gjálp and Greip, straddled a river and caused it to flood; Thor was saved by clinging to a rowan tree. At Geirrod's home, the daughters again tried to kill him using a chair that shot towards the ceiling, but by bracing himself with the staff he broke their backs and killed them. Thor then killed Geirröd by throwing a lump of molten iron at him through a pillar, and all other frost giants he could find.

One could argue that this might be a description of an ancient erruption. Especially if you think of the volcano as a throne!!

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 05:03 PM
link   
I guess Thor neads something to eat down there in his volcano.

Well this one tried to get away

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/763fef027a67.jpg[/atsimg]
volcano pig

I saw this a few days ago when I was capping from the cam.

cheers

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 05:25 PM
link   
Interesting .....holographic images again eh (like the demon face on 911)...
Beautiful pictures of the explosions though ..thanks for sharing

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Well my scientific explanation for the matter would be:

Iceland is fairly cold and volcanoes are very hot, the mixture of the two elements creates static electricity. The hot and cold react with each other creating the visual.

The above seems like a logical explanation to me, but I am no scientist.

The smoke faces and etc. are just coincidence.

Just my thoughts.

Very cool pictures by the way, I've never seen a volcano do that.

edited for spelling.

[edit on 22-4-2010 by Quickfix]

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 05:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Quickfix

Oh I agree 100% with the scientific explanation.
Our brains automatically process random shapes to resemble something we are familiar with, the human face being the leading image.

I just thought it was kinda cool to find a 'volcanic ash face' that, IMO, resembles the locals ancient 'thunder god'.

There have some been so many beautiful pictures and film from this erruption...amazing how even at her most terrifying Mother nature demands an awe inspiring respect.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 05:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by PennyQ
volcano pig

I saw this a few days ago when I was capping from the cam.

That is awesome!

"Volcano Pig" - just sounds like something off the Simpsons or South Park. You made my day with that one!

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 05:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Quickfix

It is that and moreso the fact that the debris is rubbing up against each other with such forse that it creates a huge static charge.

Imagine the Dust Bowl as an example, if during one of the large sandstorms a farmer touched one of his metal equipment, he would risk a huge electric shot because of the static charge created by the debris rubbing up against each other.

Volcanoes are no different, especially with Iceland's climate.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 06:04 AM
link   
reply to post by PennyQ

Greatest find in a long time^^ . very cute, it even seems to be squealing

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 06:13 AM
link   
First of all, Thor is not of Iceland,It's celtic/nordic and originated in europe, not Iceland. DUH!

And I can seea bull...leaving down some BS!!!! /no really I can see a bull.

[edit on 23-4-2010 by ldyserenity]

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 06:18 AM
link   
reply to post by ldyserenity

Oh, I know he was originally. It explains all of that in the links I provided. The fact remains however that he was also part of Iceland's 'religous' history.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 12:02 PM
link   
reply to post by ldyserenity

well, Iceland IS Europe, and Icelanders are descents of the Vikings (as are norwegians and Swedes) which had Thor as their main deity.

Just FYI, not as flame

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join