It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The "Quickening" - Why is time speeding up?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Do you feel like time is accelerating? The day is over before you know it? Our Pace Picks Up Speed! Our Age of Technology seems to have squashed time. We're packing so much more into every moment that rather than having the effect of stretching time, time appears to be moving more quickly. This phenomenon is further exaggerated by the quickening of events and activities around the world. Wherever we look, whether at the political, financial, environmental or cultural arenas of life, we find things in chaos, events moving too fast for anyone to "get a grip", to make any sense of, or long-term plans around.... Global Warming? Poles melting and shifting? Mother Earth seems to be in revolt... the whole world seems to be spinning out of control, shifting off its very axis... Every month seems to be gone before you can believe it.
Every year passes faster than the last. Is it perception or reality? Perhaps it is both. We forget that Einstein proved time is relative, not stationary. When we accelerate to great speeds, time will slow. Conversely, if we slow down, time will accelerate.

We are currently in a time known as the Quickening. This is the time when the earth is undergoing great changes. Some of these changes are mankind's' assault on the planet, but that doesn't explain all of it. Some believe the earth's spin is slowing and a magnetic pole reversal is going to happen as it has several times in the past during the Earth's 4 billion + year history. It's possible our entire solar system is slowing in its journey around the galaxy.
If either or both of these slowing are happening, this would account for acceleration of time. Some of these changes are brought about by the earths changing frequencies caused by our planetary alignment with the galactic equator. This frequency change will bring humanity out of their currently slumber. We may be awakening to a universal frequency that will accelerate our evolutionary path. Some believe this frequency change may bring about physical changes to our bodies. Possibly even causing our DNA to upgrade if you will, to change from a 2 strand DNA to 4 or more strands.
Our minds will benefit most from any accelerated evolution. A greater mind will accelerate our understanding of the universe. Perhaps a universal understanding of each other and of our cosmic journey will bring an end to the petty bickering that has befallen mankind, and bring about a revolution of learning.

I'm interested to hear how others feel about this subject.

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 01:19 PM
link   
It could be everything you said OR we are so damn busy just trying to keep up in the everyday rat race.

[edit on 22-4-2010 by solarstorm]

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 01:36 PM
link   
i believe this as well,ive noticed that there was alot more time in a day ten years ago when i was out skateboarding with my friends or whatever, this could be because of cannabis lol but truelyhopefully more of us wake up to what is really goin on arround us, ive found meditation with the aid of psilocybin to be the most powerful way to open ones eye to truth of the universal conciousness and its intentions or our collective intentions or or ...... i forgot what i was sayyin maaan

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 01:51 PM
link   
How many times does this come up?
Time doesn't move faster or slower or anything. Time's the same it has been the last hundred, thousand years.
Maybe you're all to busy with things or as you grow older time seems to move faster but that's a wrong impression and nothing more.

If the time moves faster, how come that now the sun is up until around 8-8:30 pm while just 3 months ago it was dark at 5 pm? That's the normal thing when summer comes up and a proof that nothing has changed.

If anything i have that time moves a lot slower, for me atleast. Lot's of times i look at the clock and i'm astound cause i thought it would be way later than it actually was.

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 01:59 PM
link   
yes it is speeding up, the earthquakes have done so, and i think other things may have sped the earth up as well.

also mass anxiety and so much work is making things rushed on a societal basis

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 02:01 PM
link   
I have been thinking about this alot lately, and I believe that it is part of growing up, of aging. When you are one day old, it is a long time to the next day. Twice your experience. Then later, a week, or a year, or a decade. And every day is a smaller fraction of your whole experience. So it appears to be faster. That said, events and technology are increasing at logarithmic rates. We will learn, for instance, more about human brains this year, than all we previously knew about brains, in all of history put together. We are now at the top of the curve. And events are also quickening. Perhaps due to changes in communications technology, like the internet, and plane travel. It is an interesting time to be alive.

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 02:47 PM
link   
I personally believe that there are things a person can do that can minimize the feeling of "quickening".

If you ever watch royalty in public, they tend to walk very slow. They don't rush. They are in control of themselves.

We can do the same thing. Slow down. Take it easy. Enjoy time with family, friends. Enjoy the outdoors. Bicycle. Read.

Instead, most of us are hooked to laptops, cell phones, and the news all day. If you are a media and techie junkie, time will definitely appear to be speeding up. Just the pace of the rapid change in society is enough to make one's head spin.

Throw away your cell phone. Unplug your TV. Get back to a simpler lifestyle, and you'll feel a whole lot better.

(What, me? No cell phone? Can't possibly live without my cell phone!)

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Man for the past several week I have been wondering exactly this.. Dunno why but days have been going strangely fast... Before I know it the day is gone..

I always ignored it thinking that its just me and my work thats taking up all the time and keeping me busy.. may b there is more to it..

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Stopped reading after " Some of these changes are mankind's' assault on the planet". Thanks anyway.

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Actually, i've had quite the opposite, life is going quite slow for me right now, I'd love some of that quickening you seem to have.

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 03:00 PM
link   
reply to post by discl0sur3

I have usually found that when time is going fast it is a good thing, and when time slows down something is about to happen (sometimes good sometimes bad). If my week goes fast then everything seems good to me but when my week drags and a day seems like a week I try and keep a lookout for something to happen.

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Like the poster above said, each successive day that you live is a smaller percentage of your life and thus seems to slip by faster. When you are 10, each years represents 10% of your life. Should you reach 100, each year represents 1% of your life.

One tick seems to go by faster than ten ticks and so, the older we get, the faster time seems to go by. Waiting two weeks to go to an amusement park is no big deal for an adult but feels like an eternity to a child.

There is a golden time when youth allows one to internally time 60 seconds very well. As one gets older, this become more difficult with the error leaning towards faster counting. Older people count off a minute faster than young people.

As for information, well that can go at the speed of light but that doesn't make time go any faster...if time even "goes".

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Time might not being going faster as much as we as a species are taking in more stimuli at an increasing rate. When I mean stimuli I mean that new ideas, old ideas, different people and cultures are mingling and clashing at an increasing rate brought on by many things (globalization, the internet etc) Much like the development of the train literally changed peoples perception of the space time continuum (it expanded and contracted space: space expanded due to the ability to travel further than before, space contracted due to far off places being more easy to reach... if that makes any sense at all) the changes we are going through now are accelerating beyond our control. The internet in its own way obliterated space (I can talk to all of you guys right now like you were in my room and we can argue and share ideas literally as if you were talking to me face to face.) Personally I think it is the increasing rate of change and developing of technology along with an acceleration of ideas being shared that is creating this sense of time speeding up, but then again I'm rambling and could very well be out of my mind, just my two cents.

[edit on 22-4-2010 by Vicious Jones]

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Trudge

I call this effect of time speeding up the '24' effect based on the TV show. If things are moving very fast, it means they are going well and there isn't much to worry about. If time is slowed down, it means like you said, something big is about to happen, and you feel that 'adrenaline rush' if you will. If you ever notice, people who are in crises always say time felt like it slowed down...

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 06:17 PM
link   
Interesting post, I have also thought that time has grown shorter and days pass by like seconds now.

The reason is quite simple, AGE, this is the decisive factor - at least for me, when I was young I did not have a car, nor a job, I did not have enough money to regularly go from state to state, county to county, city to city or town to town, what I now declare as a "long journey" back then was a bike ride from my parents garage to the nearest country field, lake, quarry etc

When you are younger the world is much bigger, consider this, crawl on your hands and knees using a magnifying glass as your guide (youth) as opposed to driving at accelerated speeds using road side signs as your new guide, travel is what makes time accelerate and occupation of the mind due to work.

Youth brings you exceptional gaps of not knowing what to do with time, maturity brings you many variables that simply struggle to fit in a simple day, job, deadlines, travel, wife, children, football, games, sleep, friends.

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by mike_trivisonno

Waiting two weeks to go to an amusement park is no big deal for an adult but feels like an eternity to a child.

I think "waiting" is the culprit that makes time appear to slow down. When we are little we "wait" till we're old enough to go to school, we "wait" to get out of school, we "wait" to turn 16, we "wait" to get our driver's license, we "wait" to turn 18, and "wait" to turn 21, etc.

Ever notice it seems to take longer to drive somewhere than drive back? It's because we're "waiting" to get there.

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 08:35 PM
link   
Nope , the day seems just as long as always,..
No change for me.

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 09:22 AM
link   
News travels fast because of TV, radio, THE INTERNET and so everyone has to keep up with what is happening.

As we look to our past we obviously didnt have the tech to deliver news as quickly as we can today.

Brave.

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 09:36 AM
link   
Time to play Pink Floyd's song, "Time"
Lyrics-

Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day
You fritter and waste the hours in an offhand way
Kicking around on a piece of ground in your home town
Waiting for someone or something to show you the way

Tired of lying in the sunshine
Staying home to watch the rain
And you are young and life is long
And there is time to kill today
And then one day you find
Ten years have got behind you
No one told you when to run
You missed the starting gun

And you run, and you run to catch up with the sun, but it's sinking
Racing around to come up behind you again
The sun is the same in a relative way, but you're older
Shorter of breath and one day closer to death

Every year is getting shorter
Never seem to find the time
Plans that either come to nought
Or half a page of scribbled lines
Hanging on in quiet desparation is the English way
The time is gone
The song is over
Thought I'd something more to say

Home, home again
I like to be here when I can
When I come home cold and tired
It's good to warm my bones beside the fire
Far away across the field
The tolling of the iron bell
Calls the faithful to their knees
To hear the softly spoken magic spells

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 11:59 PM
link   
Technology is to blame it was supposed to make life easier but we get more done in a day than we used to in a week... multiasking at the speed of light I think we are all alittle ADHD nowdays. I try and practice some quiet time alone even if it's with a cup o coffee in the morning outside checking out what the weather is like. Cloud watching and feeling the breeze with my cat. It's a nice way to start any day. Also not having the TV on in the background makes you feel calm and slowed down.

I have noticed that when you are late for something time speeds up just to mess with us!

Miss those long days as a child when you had nothing to do but invent games and explore the neighbourhood! Back when the world felt safer and mum would say go play in the forest but come home when it gets dark.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join