It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Did extraterrestrial UFOs influence Leonardo da Vinci, Michaelangelo, and Columbus?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+9 more 
posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 02:28 AM
link   
I found this website and its another highly interesting take on UFOs and how they may have influenced some important people from the past. It makes you wonder just what these people were seeing back then.

www.examiner.com...

Did extraterrestrial UFOs influence Leonardo da Vinci, Michaelangelo, and Columbus?

Extraterrestrial UFOs might have influenced Leonardo da Vinci as well as Michaelangelo, Christopher Columbus and other Renaissance artists. Domenico Ghirlendaio and Carlos Crivelli both painted flying saucer-like UFO images in the background of their art. Leonardo designed an armored car very similar in appearance to a flying saucer, and designed a flying machine aerial ‘screw’ as well.

Michaeangelo became an apprentice to Ghirlandaio at age thirteen in Florence. That started a six-year period between 1488-1494, when all of these men either lived in Florence or would have had reasons to go there. Florence was the capital and cultural center of Italy at the time. About the time Crivelli and Ghirlandaio died in the mid-1490’s, Nicolaus Copernicus also arrived in Italy for further study of medicine, law and even astrology. So he might have visited Florence too and interacted with the others.

Christopher Columbus saw a ‘UFO’ according to the book Beyond Earth: Man's Contact with UFOs in reference to 'The Life and Voyages of Christopher Columbus' (1850). Columbus saw ‘a light glimmering at a great distance’ that …vanished, only to reappear several times during the night, each time dancing up and down ‘in sudden and passing gleams’.

Michaelangelo (1475-1564) became an apprentice in 1488 to Ghirlandaio just two years after Carlos Crivelli (c. 1435-c. 1495) painted “The Annunciation of St. Emidius” in 1486. Crivelli’s painting clearly shows a flying saucer-like UFO shining a light downward.

Domenico Ghirlandaio (1449-1494) painted “The Madonna with Saint Giovaninno” that shows another UFO-like image in the background. It is known only to be from the 15th century, but given that Ghirlandaio died in 1494, it is likely that Michaelangelo was with Ghirlandaio during or after the painting was completed.

Leonardo da Vinci (1452-1519) is considered a great visionary for designing his armored car around 1485 AD and for trying to design and build a flying machine around 1500 AD. He drew much inspiration from the natural environment. Seeing a UFO in the sky or even in the paintings of other great artists of his time might have given him two ideas. One was the flying saucer-like armored car and the other separate flying machine.

Imagine what it might have been like to overhear these Renaissance men gathered at an Italian bistro on a warm Tuscan afternoon. What would they have said about UFOs and the possibility of extraterrestrial civilizations? Collectively, they had vast knowledge from multiple areas of art, science, medicine, philosophy, religion, commerce, and more. Such a conversation could have happened 100 years before Galileo arrived to expand on the astronomy work of Copernicus. Coincidentally, Galileo Galilei was born Feb. 15, 1564, just three days before Michaelangelo died.

We will never know how much these men were influenced by ‘UFOs’. We’ll never know what they might have discussed about extraterrestrial civilizations. But there’s a common theme in stories of extraterrestrial visitors -- they often make their presence known to those with lasting influence.

Was that the case with these great men of the Renaissance? If so, then the extraterrestrial intelligent beings could not have picked a better group. Even as a fictional dialogue, such a gathering of great minds to ponder our place among other galactic civilizations would make an intriguing novel or feature film.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 02:29 AM
link   
The slide-show in that link above is especially interesting.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 02:47 AM
link   
I've always found 'UFO' in Ghirlandaio's "The Madonna with St. Giovannino" very fascinating. What would prompt Ghirlandaio to put that object in the sky? I believe he must have been trying to express what he had seen or heard about.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 02:51 AM
link   
That new series coming on History channel "Ancient Aliens" has sparked some interest within me in UFOs/Aliens from the past.

Back then, people like these famous writers and painters etc saw something and you cant help but think that these drawings in some of their paintings are depicting what they saw. Even some old memoirs of these folks state how they saw lights in the sky that changed color and zig zagged and this and that.....

Some interesting stuff.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 02:54 AM
link   
I saw something about da vinci once, they said he claimed to be able to see things differently than others, like paint by numbers or something.

He could see how things were made up all around us in a way we couldnt. Maybe someone could point me to a thread about this?

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 02:55 AM
link   
reply to post by -Blackout-

I'm looking forward to that series. I've always been a fan of Giorgio A. Tsoukalos. The only thing I don't agree about the Ancient Astronaut theory is the Nazca Lines. Supporters theorize that because those lines look like runways....etc. With what I've seen and read on UFOs, I really can't believe that these flying objects need runways. Any thoughts?

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 03:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by taccj9903

I'm looking forward to that series. I've always been a fan of Giorgio A. Tsoukalos. The only thing I don't agree about the Ancient Astronaut theory is the Nazca Lines. Supporters theorize that because those lines look like runways....etc. With what I've seen and read on UFOs, I really can't believe that these flying objects need runways. Any thoughts?

I think the Nazca lines/drawings etc may represent some form of intergalactic greeting. Kind of like saying "Hi!"

I mean, those drawings there can only be 100% observed from the sky. Someone would need to be flying to see them.

As far as the "run ways" go....Who knows really. Maybe back then ET landed their craft differently than they do now? And they have advanced in technology since then? I dunno....Those run ways sure are a mystery to me as well.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 03:08 AM
link   

I am just glad to see the subject getting more notoriety in the mainstream entertainment. I am hoping there is a reason for it too. Look at how many movies there have been in the last year that dealt with the UFO/Alien subject. There have also been a number of documentaries on the History Channel and Nat Geo.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 03:15 AM
link   
I just read an article titled,"Rome, the original UFO enthusiast". It's from a Christian perspective,which may annoy some of you,but if you scroll down the page you will see three interesting historic old paintings that are pertinent to this thread.

But before you discount the entire message of the article,if you've been following some of the more enlightened threads,by Protoplasmic Traveler,for instance,detailing how "All Roads Lead to Rome",it might make you wonder about a deeper conspiracy that may exist.

www.remnantofgod.org...

(If not-just enjoy the photos!)

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 03:27 AM
link   
This artist precedes those mentioned above.

Masolino da Panicale
This is titled "Founding of Saint Maria Maggiore" and is dated 1420.

Take a look and tell me if these are badly painted clouds or a fleet of UFO's.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 03:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Alethea

Just first impressions lead me to believe that those disc shapes represent angelic or spiritual beings. Just my opinion.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 03:41 AM
link   
In my opinion, Alien existence is the hidden secret of christianity.
The artistic rappresentations, in many religions, are the evidence that the contact with other extraterrestrial civilizations already has happened in past times. A technology much developed can be interpreted like magic, miracles or paranormal activity.
S&F.

[edit on 20-4-2010 by Antor]

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 03:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by AletheaTake a look and tell me if these are badly painted clouds or a fleet of UFO's.

Im thinking badly painted clouds.....but ehh, I dunno. Those are "disc" shapes....So yeah, it could be a UFO fleet depiction.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 03:59 AM
link   

Well now, I can assert that Christopher Columbus did indeed see some strange things on his first voyage to the new world (mostly USO's), I have no clue about whether the other two men experienced close encounters.

Surely it would help to explain their genius, were it true, but Im led to believe that just like in modern times, there are a vast array of different levels of intellect, spanning our species. So, its not too far fetched for me to postulate that these men were just those rare breed of men that stand above their peers.

And yet, having read Columbus' journals, he mentioned on several occasions being "watched, or followed" by strange luminescent light that would come in and out of the water. To me, this sounds like the typical UFO sighting people experience when at sea.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 07:14 AM
link   
What does art history, theory and the society in which these men were living tell us about the objects in their paintings?

Context is everything.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 08:31 AM
link   
reply to post by taccj9903

Your looking at the nazca lines in the wrong way.

the MOST important piece of information about the nazca lines is how an ancient civilization put so much time and effort into removing the top of a mountain and making what would see like a runway. they have no idea where all of that earth was moved to.

also, the top of the runway is made glass-silicate i believe, and they are unsure why its like that.

So, I would say the nazca lines have some very peculiar facts about them!

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 08:44 AM
link   
reply to post by DoomsdayRex

You are extremely right. The way these pictures were presented shows the nowadays context of strange things in the sky, shows the nowadays interpretation based on the UFO phenomenon and not the real context of that time.

It is something like Zecharia Sichin interpretation of the Sumerian tablets. It is interesting? Of course it is. It brings a new concept and a modern view towards the ancient civilizations? Of course it brings, but it is just an interpretation.

It is all based in context and in the way you can interpretate something from another time. You can think like they thought or put a recent context into it.

Did the prehistoric man invented the wheel because they needed or because they saw a flying saucer and tried to replicate it?

You decide.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 10:10 AM
link   
The pictures shown here are way to obvious that they are ET crafts.

You don't have to be educated to know there were no flying technology in them days.

So we can't be shy here and have to admit the artists were including ET crafts in their drawings.

Eye opening thread in my opinoin.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 10:20 AM
link   
The Nazca lines were created after NASA started attempting time travel back in 1986. The "Astronauts" original destination was Jerusalem circa 7 B.C. but ended up "overshooting" the time/place and ended up in Peru circa 200 B.C.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Great thread. Just going to throw something out there though.

Can't all of these objects/ "UFOs" be the artists representation of God coming from the sky. The UFO argument is convincing but there's defintely a good chance it is supposed to represent God.

Think about it. The Church would burn all work that was un-Catholic. If they saw UFOs in these paintings, and not God coming down to Earth, then they would be destroyed. If the Church saw anything, "alien" about them, you would have never seen the paintings.

But then again they could have a secret hidden meaning behind them (I already know the argument). To that I argue, the Church surely would ahve known about stories of UFOs about would not take the chance of something that can be interpreted as "God coming down to Earth" or a "UFO" being released.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join