It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK flying ban..would this affect food deliveries?

page: 1

join
share:
CX

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 04:54 AM
link   
This is more of a question, a general musing that got me thinking about something a friend said.

We get a lot of our food items imported, i have no idea exactly how much though. I just wondered if the no flying of planes would have an effect on what we see here in the supermarkets at all?

I reckon there would have been a lot of food waste over the past few days, with fresh items ready to be shipped but now cannot get to their destination.

Any thoughts?

CX.

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 05:01 AM
link   
reply to post by CX

Yes, about 1% of food bought to the UK is by air, but its only stuff like mange toute which I think we can do without and our country will not collapse lol.... So much for global food sourcing.... Why dont we just grow it ourselves anyway?? Not like we cant huh?

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 05:18 AM
link   
There were reports yesterday that there was a possibility of food shortages and theres also news today where food is rotting in kenya i think it was, waiting to be exported.
Theres another thing we`re all missing too,
The water supply.
Considering the water we all drink comes via tap for most, what measures are being put in place to ensure its safe to drink?
Is there a possibility that this may harm our water supply?

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 05:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by CX
This is more of a question, a general musing that got me thinking about something a friend said.

We get a lot of our food items imported, i have no idea exactly how much though. I just wondered if the no flying of planes would have an effect on what we see here in the supermarkets at all?

I reckon there would have been a lot of food waste over the past few days, with fresh items ready to be shipped but now cannot get to their destination.

Any thoughts?

CX.

Most food that get imported to our Nordic countries by air must be some exotic fruits/stuff or more expensive food, fruits, vegetables etc.

Not the everyday food most families need to have, or to survive.

I couldn't care less about fresh figs and dates, fresh papaya, fresh mangos, passion fruits, russian caviar etc etc.

Don't get me wrong here! I love that stuff, but it's not essential to me!

[edit on 18-4-2010 by Chevalerous]

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 05:30 AM
link   
I have a friend who owns a few fruit shops and he told me yesterday that all the wholesale fruit and veg has risen in the last few days so dont be surprised to see prices rise on the back of this.

I was more concerned at my local pub putting the beer up from £1.39 to £1.69 yesterday though.

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 05:38 AM
link   
Well yea, not much, but yea.
Most comes by boat though.

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 05:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cytokine_Strom
I have a friend who owns a few fruit shops and he told me yesterday that all the wholesale fruit and veg has risen in the last few days so dont be surprised to see prices rise on the back of this.

I was more concerned at my local pub putting the beer up from £1.39 to £1.69 yesterday though.

Yeah! they never miss a chance and opportunity to do that, don't they?

For whatever reason or excuses that they can quickly invent and come up with to charge some more!

Even if these things they are selling are not directly tied to air import, they never waste the opportunity to make a few euro-cents more in such crises.

And we usually pay them! without any discussions!

Edit: Now I just saw that some flowers have gone up in price in Scandinavia!

[edit on 18-4-2010 by Chevalerous]

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 05:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by jazz10
There were reports yesterday that there was a possibility of food shortages and theres also news today where food is rotting in kenya i think it was, waiting to be exported.
Theres another thing we`re all missing too,
The water supply.
Considering the water we all drink comes via tap for most, what measures are being put in place to ensure its safe to drink?
Is there a possibility that this may harm our water supply?

Water in the UK would/will still be okay. Most of the UK water supply goes through the ground into resevoirs, then onto water treatment plants. Here in the South, the rainwater goes through chalk downland ........ chalk being a perfect natural filter.

Also the particles of volcanic ash are large in comparison to viruses, diseases etc etc.

top topics

join