It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nepotism : Undermining the Merit System, By Bringing In Family, Destruction of Fair Practice

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 09:42 PM
link   
I thought this topic might be an interesting for many members, due to our beliefs in the power structure of Government, abuse of power, and as well because it is something prevalent in today's society.

Nepotism is one of the basest abuses of power, when it comes to corporations, as far as employees are concerned, even though in the old days company owners used to pass on their business from father to son.

When it comes to the modern day, however, it is something those who work for a living must face occasionally due to ignorance of our bosses. Especially when the bosses son or daughter is a complete idiot or a moron, or just a complete jerk with an entitlement chip on their shoulder.

Quote from : Wikipedia : Nepotism

Nepotism is favoritism granted to relatives or friends, without regard to their merit.

The word nepotism is from the Latin word nepos (meaning "nephew" or "grandchild").

The Dangers of Nepotism

However, political nepotism is one of the most dangerous kinds, a politician gaining power due to nothing more than familial ties and or marriage, it can damage a country.

Quote from : Wikipedia : Nepotism : Political

Political

Nepotism is a common accusation in politics when the relative of a powerful figure ascends to similar power seemingly without appropriate qualifications.

The British English expression "Bob's your uncle" is thought to have originated when Robert Arthur Talbot Gascoyne-Cecil, 3rd Marquess of Salisbury, promoted his nephew, Arthur Balfour, to the esteemed post of Chief Secretary for Ireland in what was widely seen as an act of nepotism.

Neponomics: How Nepotism Controls the World

In my estimation, nepotism is the same as giving out illegal power, and profiting from it.

Would You Accept Illegal Power If It Was Offered To You?

The fast path to power is the power to corruption and abuses of power only become easier once you accept this sort of power, and the corruption only gets far worse after that.

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Nepotism is akin to the "Big Brother" mentality of Government.

If a boss hires a son and automatically gives them a position of authority, this is like telling those employees they are worthless, and their efforts mean nothing, and have no chance at advancement within the corporation.

And political nepotism, gaining power through being "placed" is corruption of the highest magnitude, something I cannot condone.

Let me post a thread about Puppet Dictator's as an example.

False Flag Operator, Become Sheep-Dipped Or Wolf-Dipped, and Become A Puppet Dictator?

A friend of mine claimed I would make a perfect "Puppet Dictator".

This would be the perfect example of political nepotism, as far as I am concerned, something I do not condone.

In my approximation, this is tantamount to political fraud, in the name of financial gain.

For no other reason than because those willing to put the Puppet Dictator into play to act as a financial conduit.

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 01:36 PM
link   
reply to post by SpartanKingLeonidas

It's just an extention of the Royal Blue Blood mentality IMO.

It's been here for generations and will most likely continue. There will always be those who feel they were "born" into something, such as politics.

It's most certainly fraudulent and should be avoided, a couple of easy examples and the Bush and Kennedy family in the United States who have literally helped govern the country for more than 50 years.

The tactic is so effective because people don't like change. If you are a politician and were popular among your constituents, then by proxy your son would do well no matter what his views or policies look like.

Term Limits...

~Keeper

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

I could not agree with you more, it is this impetus that allows political inbreeding, something damaging towards a country.

Whether it is a corporation, or a Government, it is something that breeds corruption, but later breeds subversion by those who oppose it.

It builds traitors, through unfair practices, and if you're read the Puppet Dictator thread you will understand, I am no traitor, nor would I want my practices to breed traitors to a nation I love, and through these actions of nepotism, no matter which particular one, the person choosing to commit it is a traitor to humanity.

Just like the boss, business owner, and or Government becomes a traitor to their own people.

[edit on 18-4-2010 by SpartanKingLeonidas]

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 06:30 PM
link   
This is a great question. It appears we have a slightly different view on it but I also see a few underlying differences in definitions.

I am working on building up myself. I am now in a long term construction phase. Victory will be mine but this thread poses a significant question.

My children?

Yes I believe in nepotism to a point. My children and younger family members will get help getting their foot in the door. Yes they will be attending elite schools if I pull this off. Will they be handed the keys to the kingdom..

Yes..

Oh I forgot this will also be like brewster millions... There will be a catch..

The will get the feet in the door, but then the real training starts. If I get custody long enough to teach them the ways of operations great. If not .. hardknocks in the company.

I am ruthless... In this point should they not meet the muster no keys.

Even should after graduation they still want to work they will not like it. It will take them about five years to reach the point they might be ready to take over.

You gotta work the docks, shipping and receiving. Then they have to work sales at the retail level not to mention every other little angle/ nook/ cranny of the EMPIRE

Yes I demand competence from those around me. From family on the job, perfection. I know you cant get it but it is in the process of the trip right.

The only way I can explain it is this. Have you seen undercover boss. If I was chairmen of any of their boards I would be looking at replacing the bosses. They do not qualify for there positions at all.

The argument I believe your making is competence versus paper listed skills.

In heritage processes the name becomes the central matter. Well the answer is that some wealthy members go through this process of training from earlier birth. Most do not and hence are waste of times.

My answer is it depends on the training. With the proper training the merit systems are still recognized but not destroyed. I refuse to give positions to anyone I do not feel is qualified for any reason.

Summation:
Family yes with training from entry level up
Argument over skills

I guess the best way to put it is is the family building up by training the kids in what they learned or easy riding it.

If its training then yes I approve
If it is easy riding start looking for another job company will fall to sharks... 8 times out of ten

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 06:39 PM
link   
reply to post by ripcontrol

You definitely got my point completely.

There is a complete difference between competance and nepotism.

As far as I am concerned, competance is fine, if they prove it, working from the bottom up.

None of this directly into management crap.

They have to do the scut work, just like every other person off the streets.

If it comes to my family working within my company.

And I will be harder on them because I know I will have taught them common sense.

As well as basic leadership skills.

Still though they will have to not only prove it but quell rebellion.

Because I will make it harder not easier on them.

new topics

top topics

join