It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama aims to send astronauts to Mars

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Obama aims to send astronauts to Mars

www.smh.com.au

US President Barack Obama says he is aiming to send US astronauts into Mars orbit in the mid-2030s as he sought to quell protests over his earlier space policies.

"By 2025 we expect new spacecraft designed for long journeys to allow us to begin the first ever crew missions beyond the moon into deep space," Obama told an audience at the Kennedy Space Center in Florida.

"So, we'll start by sending astronauts to an asteroid for the first time in history. By the mid-2030s, I believe we can send humans to orbit Mars and return them safely to earth, and a landing on Mars will follow."
(visit the link for the full news article)

Mod Edit: Breaking News Forum Submission Guidelines – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 15/4/2010 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 04:07 PM
link   
I think this is just a whole lot of PR spin & hot air to deflect criticism of his current shorter term space plans.

I also think it is intended to distract the media & voters from all the other problems he is causing.

Let's hope proper focus is applied to what he is saying, so that if he's a being total fraud he will be exposed as such.

Kind regards
Maybe...maybe not

www.smh.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 15-4-2010 by Maybe...maybe not]

Mod Edit: Breaking News Forum Submission Guidelines – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 15/4/2010 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Maybe...maybe not

I have two friends that work for NASA Glenn Research Center and your statement just about sums up the agenda of this President. They essentially feel the same way. They are always on the look out for a pink slip.

Obama yet again tells people what they want to hear.

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Sounds like a lot of back peddling from Obama .... In the spirit of the human race, technology and exploration it's essential that we push ourselves to go farther than we've ever gone before to continue the growth of human achievement.

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Actually direct hit for Richard C Hoagland. He said this would happen.

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 04:21 PM
link   
Several of our technology advancements come from the money that is put into the space program. NASA is FFFFFAAAARRRR from perfect but I still would like to see the program continue without being completely gutted.

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 04:23 PM
link   
This is pure political hogwash. By choosing such a long time away, other Presidents will have to deal with the plans, and they will certainly cancel this. In the mean time, he "appears" to support NASA.

Pure politics.

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by jibeho

I have two friends that work for NASA Glenn Research Center and your statement just about sums up the agenda of this President. They essentially feel the same way. They are always on the look out for a pink slip.
Obama yet again tells people what they want to hear.

Jibeho.....

I can imagine it must be terribly discouraging for your friends to have to face Obama's "non plans" for NASA.

Kind regards
Maybe...maybe not

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Now let me see if I get what the president is saying:
Our goal is to run very fast around the block and back home, then to run a race, but lets bypass things like learning how to walk first.
If memory serves correct, the trip to the moon was done in stages, not just a straight shot there with the bet that the technology would be there to allow for such. It was done with hard work, rolled up sleeves, trial and error. There was a step to where the goal was not just to go to the moon, but to put a man in space, make the trip to the moon, land, and then get back home. Every part of that trip was done in stages where they tried to eliminate all variables, and in the process, they had to push the envelope of technology. What the President fails to realize, the point to Mars is to return to the moon. And start to colonize it, that way it would be stepping stones, to not only allow for the technology breakthroughs but to push the boundries of such. But there are alot of problems that are involved, and the costs are high, hence the colonizing of the moon. That way the resources that are there could be used for the next step.
I don't think Obama has a clue about the way to do such, beyond what his advisors tell him.

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by jpvskyfreak
Sounds like a lot of back peddling from Obama .... In the spirit of the human race, technology and exploration it's essential that we push ourselves to go farther than we've ever gone before to continue the growth of human achievement.

jpvskyfreak.....

He's just getting harder & harder to listen to.

He's sort of a "walking speech module".

Kind regards
Maybe...maybe not

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Truth1000
This is pure political hogwash. By choosing such a long time away, other Presidents will have to deal with the plans, and they will certainly cancel this. In the mean time, he "appears" to support NASA.

Pure politics.

Yep he is just passing the buck, yep i want to walk in china in 2100, of course i will be not alive, but i still want too.

See everyone can do this.

Hoagland was wrong, and he knows it. This is not a mars mission, as obama knows there is a secret space program run by all the drug tracfficking and gun running, lol.

The president at least knows that much doesn't he?

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 04:30 PM
link   
I guess we can surmise now exactly why Buzz Aldrin did a 180 over the existence of aliens - he was promised a spot on the stage with the big man.

So Obama's behind sending men to Mars... just not in his administration.

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 04:36 PM
link   
reply to post by OnTheFelt

OnTheFelt.....

Hoagland & Barrack are a good pair.....

Lots & lots of hot air!

Do you remember Hoagland's "Obama Hyperdemensional Election" rubbish?

It's still on his website.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/4f8134adf7a1.jpg[/atsimg]

Hoagland says he predicted the election result with his "hyperdimensional physics" !

Kind regards
Maybe...maybe not

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 04:36 PM
link   
I think this was part of the plan from the beginning when he slashed the plans to go back to the moon. A couple of reasons why I think this:

1) James Cameron, immediately after that announcement, put out a statement that he felt it was a good thing because this would allow the space program to be re-directed to going to Mars instead of back to the Moon, where we've already been. I think Cameron probably had inside knowledge of this eventual announcement because for a long, long time Cameron has been very actively advocating for a Mars mission. He has worked with Dr. Robert Zubrin, the man most responsible for developing NASA's long-term Mars Mission plans, and head of the Mars Society. For a while, Zubrin and Cameron were working on two major film projects together about going to Mars, and Cameron's stated goal in this was to raise public awareness and interest in Mars missions. (I know a bit about Zubrin and Cameron working on those film projects because I worked for a company at the time that was tangentially involved.)

At one point, I know Cameron even optioned (possibly bought) the rights to Kim Stanley Robinson's Red/Green/Blue Mars series of sci-fi books. He may still hold these rights, I don't know. Unfortunately. that spate of very bad Mars movies in the early 2000's largely killed Cameron's plans for these movies, at that time. My guess is that once Cameron completes Battle Angel and his planned prequel to Avatar, he may go back to his beloved Mars projects.

2) Obama is a sci-fi geek. He's well known to be both a comic book fan and a fan of the show Star Trek. I think it's no small influence on him and he would like nothing better than to be the one to initiate a very bold space exploration plan for the future. Call it glory-mongering (maybe it is a bit), or call it an outgrowth of is own interest in the field, I think this announcement is genuinely a plan he's had for a while.

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 04:53 PM
link   
why would you send astronaughts to an asteroid for a first run, wonder where and which one.

A mars trip would be great.

[edit on 15-4-2010 by redgy]

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 05:13 PM
link   
If Obama is still president in 2030 I will surely be pissed.

If not, this is an empty promise with no guarantee.

More smoke up our behinds. YAY!

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 05:20 PM
link   
reply to post by DaMod

DaMod.....

He could plan a mission to Nibiru!

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 05:27 PM
link   
Or he could plan a mission to Naboo.

Or any other fictional planet. This is a bunch of hot air.

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Well don't you think this is just a plan that is set up for failure? I mean we all know niburu is comming in 2012, science has pretty much prooven that it is fact. He knows when Niburu comes he will be pronounced ruller of the world planet and according to intergalactic legal law he will be dictator for life. After the global spirit light awareness lift all he will have to do is order mars to come to earth and then he will use his light being to change densities and jump about 15 light feet and he can be the first man on mars. His plan is rubbish some people will believe in anything.

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 05:33 PM
link   
reply to post by zaiger

Zaiger.....

Exactly.....

Amongst the seeming flippantry of the last few posts, the truth is Obama's plan is about as credible as planning a trip to Nibiru, etc...

It's a shocker.....he's a shocker.....

Kind regards
Maybe...maybe not

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join