It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Huge Fireball Reported Over Madison, WI!

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 01:47 AM
link   
This could happen to anyone at anytime. Talk about the wrong venue.
This is how fast they come in.

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 02:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by FSMthewayshegoes
My guess? A super sayian

so the sayian invasion has begun time to work on my fussion technique. And my supper duper ultimate genki dama chi blast. As long as there power is not over 5 thousand ill win for sure.

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 04:27 AM
link   
reply to post by skunknuts
The same incident, but filmed over more places:

my mom just found it on a news site so i decided to share this vith you.

[edit on 16-4-2010 by Psychiatrium]

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 07:13 AM
link   
on the video above it moves suspiciously slow for a meteor...
have never seen a meteor so slow

what do experts say?

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 07:29 AM
link   
I thought it lasted to long too while i was looking at it. there usually isn't time to think about the meteor when you witness one falling than exploding, but i have seen a few good ones like the one the other night. i work midnights and at times out in rural enough areas i have seen annual meteor showers. I'm also not dismissing the theory this was space junk either.

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 07:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by darkraver
on the video above it moves suspiciously slow for a meteor...
have never seen a meteor so slow

what do experts say?

A meteor can appear to not move at all. It depends on the angle of the the observer and the angle of entry of the meteor.

If the meteor is heading directly towards you, you won't see it move. It will just look like a star that gets brighter, and brighter, till it eventually "burns" out.

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 07:51 AM
link   
The first meteorites from this event have already been recovered.

Meteorite Hunter Mike Farmer of Tucson, Arizona reports that the first fragment of the Wisconsin Iowa meteorite fall of 14APR22010 has been found. Two boys, Christopher and Evan Boudreaux found their first stone within 22 hours after the fall. According to Mike Farmer, a professional meteorite hunter, the meteorite appears to be an H chondrite. The meteorite is now undergoing laboratory study and soon the type classification will be officially announced.

[edit on 16-4-2010 by C.H.U.D.]

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 08:09 AM
link   
health.gather.com...

Well, nobody can agree what it is still.

The attached article describes it as a bolide. Only a bolide (which is very bright like this object) explodes and nothing hits the ground. Only meteorites hit the ground.

Where did these kids find this piece? Was it in the trail of this thing?

I live in Wisconsin and have found meteorite fragments in the past. There's a lot out there if you look. Just because I go find a piece today in SE or SW Wisconsin doesn't mean that it came from this object.

Hopefully more comes out in the coming days...

And, the sonic boom is completely puzzling. If it sounds like a crack, this is similar to the landing of the space shuttle. A boom occurs when a fast moving object is moving away from you. It's a pressure wave differential phenomena that's influence by nose/cone front and tail geometry in flying craft. Why did this thing make noise? Booms were heard by observers in Iowa and Wisconsin before the explosion recorded on the UW-Wisc cam.

[edit on 16-4-2010 by ibiubu]

[edit on 16-4-2010 by ibiubu]

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 10:07 AM
link   
reply to post by boondock-saint

I'm just saying what a perfectly good oppertunity it is to get a war started. A stray rocket over u.s. soil, It must be chinese. "Get em."

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by ibiubu
I live in Wisconsin and have found meteorite fragments in the past. There's a lot out there if you look. Just because I go find a piece today in SE or SW Wisconsin doesn't mean that it came from this object.

Fresh falls are easy to tell from ones that have been sitting on the ground for some time. Meteorites form what is called a "fusion crust" on them when they are exposed to the intense heat of atmospheric entry. This crust is quite delecate, and easily erroded by the elements, so you can tell a fresh fall apart from one that has been on the ground for some time.

Also, the chances are that meteorites discovered would be from a recent fall, since they are likely to be in the open, and in places that are frequented by people, old meteorites would have most probably be found (or hidden out of sight).

Hopefully more comes out in the coming days...

Not likely. You certainly wont hear anything from the MSM. These things just quietly fade away, because the public is generaly not interested in things like this, at least once they have seen the footage - they just loose interest. Why would news agancies waste time with stories that dont get ratings?

If you want to follow stories like this, then you can through the scientific community. I will post any updates I come across anyway.

[edit on 16-4-2010 by C.H.U.D.]

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by C.H.U.D.

Hey thanks for your response. I was hoping for it to be some UFO craft that had a hollow deck on it...that's all I need.

But, something that falls from Space like this is intriguing to me. I will follow it a little bit. Some of the same people that want more space funding don't even care about the compositional makeup and origin of something that fell from the very place they want to study????? Argh me thinks.

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Some of the same people that want more space funding don't even care about the compositional makeup and origin of something that fell from the very place they want to study?????

You're welcome ibiubu.

Can you clarify your question above? What do you mean they don't care? What make you say that?

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Its not a UFO, its a Metoer
Who cares? By the way, have you guys seen The Meoter Man, the movie? Halirious!!

[edit on 16-4-2010 by sam_inc]

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Spaceweather.com has a little bit on the fireball...

The fireball was caused by a small asteroid hitting Earth's atmosphere at a shallow angle. Preliminary infrasound measurements place the energy of the blast at 20 tons of TNT (0.02 kton), with considerable uncertainty. Bill Cooke of NASA's Meteoroid Environment Office estimates that the space rock was about 1 meter wide and massed some 1260 kg. "Fireballs of this size are surprisingly common," he notes. "They hit Earth about 14 times a month, on average, although most go unnoticed because they appear during the day or over unpopulated areas."

Source: spaceweather.com

Like I said... these things are pretty common in relative terms... that does not mean that if you saw one like this you are not lucky. Most people are lucky to see one of this size once in their lives. It's pure chance if you happen to be looking at the right time and in the right direction.

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Looks like the first meteorite has been found, mystery solved.

www.duluthnewstribune.com...

Christopher and Evan Boudreaux hold the first recovered meteorite from the April 14, 2010, Wisconsin fireball. The first stone was recovered 22 hours after the fall.Closeup photo below right. Credit: Terry Boudreax, submitted by Michael Farmer

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 04:27 PM
link   
reply to post by odd1out

It looks to me like something was firing at the moving object. This was a cool video of the event.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 10:18 AM
link   
Just heard on the news this morning that someone had a chunk land on his property [shed].

More here

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 07:54 AM
link   
Cmon be realistic if it was anything like a UFo then the goverment would be all over it you wouldnt get within 200 yards.

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 01:04 AM
link   
The object did not have a tail, therefore, it did not enter the atmosphere it was already in our atmosphere. It was traveling in a manner parallel to the surface of the earth at extreme speed, enough to cover several states. It caught on fire and finally exploded. The sound heard that shook homes, trees and wind chimes was not a sonic boom but an explosion. The resultant debris fell out of the sky and some of it was seen as two larger fragments moving away from the explosion.

[edit on 26-4-2010 by JackJack]

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 01:49 AM
link   
I guess this thread is dead... but if anyone looks at it again... I thought I should be more clear about my above post. I interpret what I have read in the media as this was probably some sort of Military Aircraft that caught on fire and blew up. One other thing I have read on this subject is that witnesses saw a smoke trail. In looking at the NASA website on Metors I don't recall metors having a smoke trail. The NASA website says, "A meteor appears when a particle or chunk of metallic or stony matter called a meteoroid enters the earth's atmosphere from outer space. Air friction heats the meteoroid so that it glows and creates a shining trail of gases and melted meteoroid particles. The gases include vaporized meteoroid material and atmospheric gases that heat up when the meteoroid passes through the atmosphere."
Since this fireball did not have a shiny trail I propose that it did not pass from space into our atmosphere. Since people saw a smoke trail I propose that it was a super fast aircraft that caught on fire and blew up. Furthermore, just because a farmer who would not say his name saw a chunk of metal bounce of his shed does not mean it was a metor. Nor do a couple of kids with a small metor piece mean it was a metor. Think about the definition of a metor and ask yourself if it fits the fotage taken.
If anyone ever cares to discuss this, please feel free. Otherwise, I will rest easy that I have said all I can on this subject. JackJack out.

[edit on 1-5-2010 by JackJack]

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join