It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama Doesn't Salute the Flag - Conspiracy or Myth?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 05:33 PM
link   
I wanted to address this issue, because it seems there are many people who profess that Obama does not in fact salute the flag. I am stating as a matter of fact, that certain media outlets that are pushing this myth are operating in conspiracy against the president.

Typically this image is given as evidence that he does not salute:

However, this photo is misleading because in fact, they are listening to the national anthem! Watch the video here:
Obama Listens to National Anthem
If you're still not convinced that it's a conspiracy then watch these two clips of Obama pledging while holding his hand over his heart:

Pledge at 34s:

Pledge at 1m39s:

[edit on 4/14/2010 by Choronzon]

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 06:07 PM
link   
I look forward to the responses on this thread!

You are still supposed to salute the flag during the anthem. He also refused to wear the flag pin, but then quietly started wearing it a little while later.

On the other hand, he surely has a lot on his mind, and I, myself, have been guilty of getting lost in my thoughts and not realizing the pledge, or the anthem has started. Might just be a quick oversight in the mind of a very busy man.

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 06:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready
You are still supposed to salute the flag during the anthem.

Lol, says who? I sure as hell didn't see this anywhere in my ROTC manual, where they extensively go over conduct when it comes to the flag, the pledge, etc.

Star & flag though, I figured most people already knew this, but hopefully this will inform those that didn't know this about Obama.

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 06:14 PM
link   
Well back in the day, civilians and military if out of uniform did NOT salute, but stood and put their hands over their heart.

Now prior service or out-of-uniform military are authorized to come to attention and salute during the anthem or when raising or lowering the flag.

O'Bama, not being prior service, would put his hand over his heart. I'm not sure that his status as commander-in-chief changes that, it's one of those weird bits of protocol, I'd suppose.

[edit on 14-4-2010 by Bedlam]

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 06:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Bedlam

Right. And if you notice everyone else on stage has their hand on their heart. Also, at sporting events you can just have a quick look around, hats off, hands on hearts, etc.

Still, like I said, I have been so lost in my thoughts that I haven't realized the anthem was playing, and I sure don't have as many things on my mind as he has!

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bedlam
Well back in the day, civilians and military if out of uniform did NOT salute, but stood and put their hands over their heart.

Now prior service or out-of-uniform military are authorized to come to attention and salute during the anthem or when raising or lowering the flag.

Yes yes, that's military. I'm talking about what civilians are supposed to do.

At the time, Obama wasn't the POTUS, so technically he was a civilian. He could do whatever he wanted to.

Sometimes I feel like putting my hand over my heart, sometimes I don't. A whim decides what I do.

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 06:19 PM
link   
When I was growing up in New Mexico, I was told you should put your hand over your heart when saying the pledge of allegiance, and you are suppose to stand when you hear the national anthem.

This makes sense to me. When you take a pledge or an oath you are suppose to put your hand on something sacred, like the bible, or your heart (essentially pledging your heart or your life to the oath.)

On the other hand, standing is a sign of respect, like standing at a funeral, or giving a standing ovation when you really respect and like someone.

So I don't really get this whole messy symbology. Why are you suppose to pledge anything to a song? You are not making an oath of any sort. Why put your hand over your heart in that case?

Maybe someone has written something down somewhere, but it is certainly not consistent -- at least not in New Mexico anyway.

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 06:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Destiny Of Souls

Civilians are suppose to put their hand over their heart. That's what they learn in school, but they usually forget or just don't give a crap, and don't bother.

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 06:24 PM
link   
reply to post by jerico65

Yeah, when it comes to the pledge. Where is it said that civilians have to put their hand over their heart during the national anthem?

Like I said, I never heard that in my years of ROTC so.....you tell me?

I mean, provide me with some hard evidence and I'll agree with you, and make sure my hand is over my heart every single time without fail.

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Destiny Of Souls
[Yeah, when it comes to the pledge. Where is it said that civilians have to put their hand over their heart during the national anthem?

Here you go. Page down to the "customs" section:

en.wikipedia.org...

Like I said, I never heard that in my years of ROTC so.....you tell me?

You might want to back off with the "years of ROTC" statement, Gus. That's really nothing to brag about.

I mean, provide me with some hard evidence and I'll agree with you, and make sure my hand is over my heart every single time without fail.

Well, the link provides the "hard evidence". And your "years of ROTC experience" should have told you to lead from the front.

Move out and draw fire.

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Rofl, shove off, kid, I'll claim it all I want to

Good to know though. Will start doing.

Also, want to know why I wasn't taught this? Apparently it went into effect in 98. So that's why I didn't learn it.

[edit on 14-4-2010 by Destiny Of Souls]

link   
Well, flag wise, your conduct is suggested by US Code Title 4, chapter 1 paragraph 9:

During the ceremony of hoisting or lowering the flag or when the flag is passing in a parade or in review, all persons present in uniform should render the military salute. Members of the Armed Forces and veterans who are present but not in uniform may render the military salute. All other persons present should face the flag and stand at attention with their right hand over the heart, or if applicable, remove their headdress with their right hand and hold it at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart. Citizens of other countries present should stand at attention. All such conduct toward the flag in a moving column should be rendered at the moment the flag passes.

So there's the civilian hand-over-heart part, and the requirement for the behavior. If you're wearing a hat, you remove it, hold it in your right hand with your hand over your heart and the hat at your left shoulder.

As far as the anthem, US Code Title 36, subtitle I, part A, chapter 3, paragraph 301 states:

(b) Conduct During Playing.— During a rendition of the national anthem—
(1) when the flag is displayed—
(A) individuals in uniform should give the military salute at the first note of the anthem and maintain that position until the last note;
(B) members of the Armed Forces and veterans who are present but not in uniform may render the military salute in the manner provided for individuals in uniform; and
(C) all other persons present should face the flag and stand at attention with their right hand over the heart, and men not in uniform, if applicable, should remove their headdress with their right hand and hold it at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart; and
(2) when the flag is not displayed, all present should face toward the music and act in the same manner they would if the flag were displayed.

So these behaviors are enshrined in law. As for "why do this for a song", there is a lot of weird protocol that rotates around the flags and national anthems of countries, I think the concept is that they embody the presence of the nation in some way: you are paying homage to the country when the flag is serviced or passes, or if the anthem is played and you are physically present.

link   
reply to post by Destiny Of Souls

Who gives a crap about a goofy ROTC manual? Who lives by that book?
It is a matter of the president just showing some common sense respect.
ROTC books are written for reserve wannabe's. The president of the
United States should show respect by putting his hand over the heart.
He is also Commander In Chief, so he would normally salute the flag.
Being that he didn't serve in any type of military, he actually doesn't
deserve to render a hand salute though. Let me see what my UCMJ
has to say about this.

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 06:41 PM
link   
reply to post by endtimer

Lol, sorry I decided to do something more productive with my time than become cannon fodder, but good for you.

He wasn't POTUS at the time, so he didn't have to salute it. Hell, he wasn't supposed to since he wasn't or hadn't been in service.

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 06:42 PM
link   
(big grin)

Of course, his behavior was perfectly by the book...for a foreign national.

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 06:43 PM
link   

Rofl, shove off, kid, I'll claim it all I want to

Yeah, I mean, claiming to be in ROTC is right up there to claiming to be a Ranger or some other HSLD face-shooting mutha.

Also, want to know why I wasn't taught this? Apparently it went into effect in 98. So that's why I didn't learn it.

Lame excuse. You're a no-go at this station.

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Off topic, I noticed your location. I hear they're letting townies be pinelanders now.

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 06:45 PM
link   
Bush, Sr. started saluting the flag with the military hand salute. Since he was former military, that was cool.

Clinton picked it up. He had to be schooled on how to do it properly, because when he first started, he looked like a limp-wrist in San Francisco waving for a cab.

After that, POTUS has traditionally used the military hand salute.

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 06:46 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 06:50 PM
link   

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join