It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Keeping track of 7 or above Magnitude Earthquakes for this year.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Hello ATS members I want to make a thread about earthquakes in 2010 and beyond which all have magnitudes of 7 and above which means they are very powerful and destructive in built up areas, recently we have been having quite a few, some have been under the sea but the problem of Tsunami's is also a problem that could be on the increase as there seems to be alerts every so often now than ever before.

Some may argue that we have become more aware of detecting such events; some may say that there is a pattern of an increase in all this.

Other views could be about 2012, sun cycles, alignment of planets and the milky way galaxy, Bible prophecies about the increase of earthquakes in diverse places and so on, the subject is there for your opinions.

But here is a recent list of places where 7 magnitudes quakes have occurred in 2010 onwards, are we going to have even more of this will it happen a lot more and maybe will people start to question whether it is more than a natural occurrence as people look for answers.

1)The 2010 Haiti earthquake was a catastrophic magnitude 7.0 Mw earthquake, with an epicentre near the town of Léogâne, approximately 25 km (16 miles) west of Port-au-Prince, Haiti's capital. The earthquake occurred at 16:53 local time (21:53 UTC) on Tuesday, 12 January 2010.[5][6] By 24 January, at least 52 aftershocks measuring 4.5 or greater had been recorded.[7] As of 12 February 2010, an estimated three million people were affected by the quake;[8] the Haitian Government reports that between 217,000 and 230,000 people have died, an estimated 300,000 injured, and an estimated 1,000,000 homeless. The death toll is expected to rise.[9][10] They also estimated that 250,000 residences and 30,000 commercial buildings had collapsed or were severely damaged.[11]

en.wikipedia.org...

2) A massive earthquake has hit central Chile and killed at least 214 people, the interior minister says.
The 8.8 quake caused widespread damage, destroying buildings, bridges and roads in many areas.
In Hawaii, Tahiti and New Zealand, residents in coastal areas were warned to move to higher ground.

news.bbc.co.uk...

3)On February 26, 2010, news agency CNN reported that Japan's Ryukyu Islands, Okinawa, experienced a 7.0 magnitude earthquake. The location is approximately 50 miles from the coastal city of Okinawa. Tsunami warnings were issued around the city, but as of 1:00PM PST evacuation orders had yet to be officially ordered.

4) Earthquake rocks western Mexico
Seismologist Lucy Jones: "There will be aftershocks over the next few days"
A 7.2 magnitude earthquake has hit the Mexican peninsula of Baja California, killing two people and causing tremors as far away as Nevada.
news.bbc.co.uk...

5)7.8-magnitude quake strikes Indonesia By the CNN Wire Staff

(CNN) -- A tsunami watch was in effect for Indonesia after a 7.8-magnitude earthquake rattled the nation early Wednesday, according to geological officials.

The temblor struck 125 miles off the coast of Sibolga on Indonesia's Sumatra island, the U.S. Geological Survey reported. The quake hit at a depth of 28.6 miles at 5:15 a.m. (6:15 p.m. ET, Tuesday) USGS said.

There were no immediate reports of damage or injuries.
edition.cnn.com...

6)Magnitude 7.1 quake hits Solomon Islands

A major quake of magnitude 7.1 struck the Solomon Islands on Sunday, according to the US Geological Survey.
It said the quake's epicenter was 32.2 miles deep, 60 miles southwest of the Solomon Islands' Kira Kira in the Pacific Ocean. It hit at 8:40 p.m. local time.

The Pacific Tsunami Warning Center said the quake, initially reported as a magnitude 7.5, could "generate local tsunamis that can be destructive along coasts located within 62 miles of the earthquake epicenter."

A magnitude 7.1 quake can cause widespread and heavy damage.

uk.news.yahoo.com...

8) Also related is the January 3rd 2010 earthquake just to update this post.

January 2010 Solomon Islands earthquake

The 2010 Solomon Islands earthquake was a magnitude 7.1 Mw earthquake that occurred in the Solomon Islands at 22:36:30 (UTC) on January 03, 2010, resulting in a tsunami measuring approximately 10 feet in some parts of the islands. The earthquake was the largest in a series of quakes to strike the Solomon Islands over the preceding days.[1] The 7.1 mainshock was preceded by a 6.6 magnitude foreshock some 48 minutes previous.[2]

As many as 1,000 people were left homeless on the island of Rendova after the earthquake and tsunami destroyed approximately 200 homes.

en.wikipedia.org...

No doubt there is more to come that is why I made this thread so you can add some stories here too and keep watch of it.

[edit on 11-4-2010 by The time lord] Just updated.

[edit on 11-4-2010 by The time lord]

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 12:43 PM
link   
The recent Solomon Islands earthquake was 6.8.
It should not be included on your list.
earthquake.usgs.gov...

[edit on 4/11/2010 by Phage]

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
The recent Solomon Islands earthquake was 6.8.
It should not be included on your list.
earthquake.usgs.gov...

[edit on 4/11/2010 by Phage]

I read it was a 7 that is why I included it, are you sure it was not a an after shock?

Even so there was another quake on January 3rd 2010 that was a 7 with a tsunami.

January 2010 Solomon Islands earthquake

The 2010 Solomon Islands earthquake was a magnitude 7.1 Mw earthquake that occurred in the Solomon Islands at 22:36:30 (UTC) on January 03, 2010, resulting in a tsunami measuring approximately 10 feet in some parts of the islands. The earthquake was the largest in a series of quakes to strike the Solomon Islands over the preceding days.[1] The 7.1 mainshock was preceded by a 6.6 magnitude foreshock some 48 minutes previous.[2]

As many as 1,000 people were left homeless on the island of Rendova after the earthquake and tsunami destroyed approximately 200 homes.[1]

Text

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 01:04 PM
link   
yes it was I think 7.2 at first and I think you should include it as the USGS as of late has been downgrading quakes right and left, I feel they are doing this to take the focus of an increase in large quakes happening around the world. NOT because it was actually a smaller quake.

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 01:07 PM
link   
reply to post by The time lord

It was not an aftershock.

There are an average of 18 earthquakes of 7.0 and greater each year, an average of 1.5 each month.

So far this year there have been 5, an average of 1.1 each month.

You are correct, we can expect more earthquakes.

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by The time lord

It was not an aftershock.

There are an average of 18 earthquakes of 7.0 and greater each year, an average of 1.5 each month.

So far this year there have been 5, an average of 1.1 each month.

You are correct, we can expect more earthquakes.

You get great earthquake information. Could you please provide a lonk for us so that we can verify your data?

Thanx again,

Jason

PS or a link, whichever you think is best.

[edit on 11-4-2010 by hthjason]

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 01:12 PM
link   
reply to post by hthjason

Current, historical data, FAQs

earthquake.usgs.gov...

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 01:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Thanx again Phage.

I have e-mailed the USGS for the information and I'll hear from them within the next 2 business days.

Jason

[edit on 11-4-2010 by hthjason]

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 01:18 PM
link   
As far as the quakes being downgraded, it has nothing to do (IMO) with the USGS trying to cover anything up. The larger quake reports are automatically computer generated. It is after a seismologist reviews it that it is oftern changed to reflect the true magnetude. It is usually off by .1 to .3, sometimes more. It is not always downgraded but upgraded. If you watch the site long enough, you will pick up on this and see what is and what is not normal.

Again, it has nothing to do with hiding info, but being more accurate.

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 06:25 PM
link   
It still says on SkyNews here in England it was a 7.1, it is not my fault if people say different things that is why I made this thread as I have not seen this many earthquake reports in a space of a small time especially since all of them are 7s and there has been a few 6s too which I have avoided. Maybe 7 like 7 plagues, but I would say I have not seen this many on the news in the space of 4 months.

12:44pm UK, Sunday April 11, 2010

Julia Reid, Sky News Online

A powerful earthquake has struck off the Solomon Islands in the South Pacific.
The US Geological Survey said the 7.1 magnitude quake hit southwest of the Kira Kira Island, with the epicentre around 130 miles away from the capital Honiara.

The Pacific Tsunami Warning Centre said they do not expect a tsunami and there were no immediate reports of damage or injuries.

The Solomon Islands is a country of nearly 1,000 islands that lie on the "Ring of Fire", an arc of earthquake and volcanic zones where around 90 per cent of the world's quakes occur.

news.sky.com... Earthquake:NoTsunamiExpected&lpos=searchresults

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by The time lord
It still says on SkyNews here in England it was a 7.1, it is not my fault if people say different things

No it's not your fault if people say different things but are you going to believe a journalist or the experts ?

Magnitude 6.8
Date-Time

* Sunday, April 11, 2010 at 09:40:30 UTC
* Sunday, April 11, 2010 at 08:40:30 PM at epicenter
* Time of Earthquake in other Time Zones

Location 10.913°S, 161.130°E
Depth 60.2 km (37.4 miles)
Region SOLOMON ISLANDS
Distances 100 km (65 miles) WSW of Kira Kira, San Cristobal, Solomon Isl.
205 km (130 miles) SE of HONIARA, Guadalcanal, Solomon Islands
245 km (150 miles) S of Auki, Malaita, Solomon Islands
2025 km (1260 miles) NNE of BRISBANE, Queensland, Australia
Location Uncertainty horizontal +/- 4.7 km (2.9 miles); depth +/- 12.7 km (7.9 miles)
Parameters NST=107, Nph=107, Dmin=209.2 km, Rmss=0.85 sec, Gp= 25°,
M-type=teleseismic moment magnitude (Mw), Version=8
Source

* USGS NEIC (WDCS-D)

Event ID us2010uya5

USGS says it's a 6.8, they've got no reason to make things up

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 08:06 PM
link   
Sounds like different measurements from different parts of the world.
Even so it is the second earthquake in that region one in january this year was a 7 and above and now this one which is either a 7 or close enough.

Magnitude 7.1 quake hits Solomon Islands - USGS
A major quake of magnitude 7.1 struck the Solomon Islands on Sunday, the U.S. Geological Survey reported.

It said the quake's epicenter was 32.2 miles (52 km) deep, 60 miles (97 km) southwest of the Solomon Islands' Kira Kira in the Pacific Ocean. It hit at 8:40 p.m. (0940 GMT).

The Pacific Tsunami Warning Center said the quake, initially reported as a magnitude 7.5, could "generate local tsunamis that can be destructive along coasts located within 100 kilometers (62 miles) of the earthquake epicenter."

A magnitude 7.1 quake can cause widespread, heavy damage.
www.timesofmalta.com...

VS

Earthquake Details
Magnitude 6.8
Date-Time Sunday, April 11, 2010 at 09:40:30 UTC
Sunday, April 11, 2010 at 08:40:30 PM at epicenter
Time of Earthquake in other Time Zones

Location 10.913°S, 161.130°E
Depth 60.2 km (37.4 miles)
Region SOLOMON ISLANDS
Distances 100 km (65 miles) WSW of Kira Kira, San Cristobal, Solomon Isl.
205 km (130 miles) SE of HONIARA, Guadalcanal, Solomon Islands
245 km (150 miles) S of Auki, Malaita, Solomon Islands
2025 km (1260 miles) NNE of BRISBANE, Queensland, Australia

Location Uncertainty horizontal +/- 4.7 km (2.9 miles); depth +/- 12.7 km (7.9 miles)
Parameters NST=107, Nph=107, Dmin=209.2 km, Rmss=0.85 sec, Gp= 25°,
Source USGS NEIC (WDCS-D)

earthquake.usgs.gov...
vs

The Australian Broadcasting Company (ABC) quoted USGS as saying the quake's epicenter was 52 km deep, 97 km southwest of the Solomon Islands' Kira Kira in the Pacific Ocean. It hit at 8:40 p. m. local time.

VS

The quake had initially been measured at magnitude 7.1 but was later revised down.

Like much of the Pacific, the Solomons regularly experiences earthquakes.

A string of tremors rocked the western Solomon Islands in January, with the largest of 7.2 causing a tsunami estimated at nearly 2.5 metres.
www.nst.com.my...

I wonder will there be a 7 aftershock just to complicate things?

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 08:23 PM
link   
As many have said before, 7.0 - 7.9 quakes happen, on average, at least once a month - expect around 17/year.

There is nothing sinister about the USGS revising their quake information - sometimes this is done immediately (particularly noticeable on the USA 3+ USGS list when a quake is announced with a "?" magnitude and then disappears - by simply going to the USGS 1+ magnitude list you'll see it's been put there. Often this can take longer during weekends and holidays when they have less staff on hand to make immediate revisions.

If you do study the USGS recent quake lists you will also find they often slip in quakes retrospectively - again, nothing sinister they have just been reviewing data and add it in at the time the event occurred.

The media rarely bother going back and checking these things after an event - particularly after an event that left no damage or press-worthy stories, hence why some reports still state a 7+ magnitude. I suspect many reporters don't realise the huge differences between such mags.

And remember - USGS revised UP as well as DOWN. This doesn't fit with any cover up theories - they'd all be down if they were trying to hide something!

Recent Spanish quake now revised up to 6.3.

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 08:52 AM
link   
Anyway this is not a reply to anyone but there was a 6.9 earthquake in China too which is close to 7 and probably has killed more people than then one in Chile mainly due to how things are built .

news.bbc.co.uk...

Some 400 people have died and thousands are feared injured after a magnitude-6.9 quake hit western China's Qinghai province, officials say.

The powerful tremor struck remote Yushu county, 800km (500 miles) south-west of the provincial capital Xining, at 0749 (2349 GMT), at a shallow depth of 10km.

Most of the buildings in the worst-hit town of Jiegu were wrecked, and landslides have cut off roads.

Police said hundreds of survivors had already been pulled from the rubble.

And at least one aid flight had been able to land at the local airport, according to officials.

Senior Yushu official Huang Liming announced the latest death toll of 400, as the extent of the damage became clearer.

Text

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Anyway now they are saying it was a 7.1 even though I read it was 6.8 so now that USGS says it was higher than first reported. Anyway I will keep the coal burning here on this thread.

aktracker.com...

China Earthquake, Qinghai, 7.1, Hundreds Dead
China Earthquake, Qinghai, 7.1, Hundreds Dead
Email A shallow, 7.1 Chinese earthquake in northwest China, near Tibet, has killed at least 400 people, with injured 8,000, and an unknown number still buried under building rubble and debris. Details about the rescue efforts are starting to come in, with rescue squads from Chengdu already arriving. At least one vocational college has collapsed entirely.

China National Radio said that more than 80 percent of the homes in the area had collapsed but that schools and government buildings had largely remained standing. NYT

The quake hit at 7:49 a.m. in Qinghai Province, had a magnitude of 7.1 according to China’s earthquake administration, the China Earthquake Networks Center: the earthquake struck in Yushu County near Tibet. The region is much less populated than the earlier china earthquake in the Chengudu, Sichuan region near the Longmenshan earthquake fault. Like the shallow tremors behind the Iceland volcano, this is also being called relatively shallow, at 6.4 miles.

USGS details:

•Magnitude – 7.1
•Date-Time – Wednesday, April 14, 2010 at 07:49:37 AM at epicenter
•Location – 33.271°N, 96.629°E
•Depth – 10 km (6.2 miles) set by location program
•Region – SOUTHERN QINGHAI, CHINA
•Distances -
◦240 km (150 miles) NNW of Qamdo, Xizang (Tibet)
◦375 km (235 miles) SSE of Golmud, Qinghai, China
◦520 km (325 miles) SSE of Da Qaidam, Qinghai, China
◦1905 km (1190 miles) WSW of BEIJING, Beijing, China
•Location Uncertainty -horizontal +/- 6.6 km (4.1 miles); depth fixed by location program
•Parameters – NST= 73, Nph= 73, Dmin=654.4 km, Rmss=1 sec, Gp= 50°,M-type=teleseismic moment magnitude (Mw), Version=7

www.nytimes.com...

The quake, which struck at 7:49 a.m. in Qinghai Province, bordering Tibet, had a magnitude of 7.1, according to China’s earthquake agency. At least 18 aftershocks measuring more than 6.0 followed throughout the day, government officials said, according to Xinhua.

China’s earthquake agency said the quake centered on Yushu County, a remote and mountainous area sparsely populated by farmers and herdsmen, most of them ethnic Tibetans. The region, pocked with copper, tin and coal mines, is also rich in natural gas.

As with the devastating earthquake two years ago that killed 87,000 in neighboring Sichuan Province, many buildings collapsed, including schools. But with Qinghai’s far smaller and less dense population, the toll is likely to remain far lower.

A seismologist, Gu Guohua, said in an interview with the national broadcaster CCTV that 90 percent of the homes in the county seat, Jeigu, had collapsed. The houses, he said, were of “quite poor quality,” with many constructed of wood, mud and brick.

Among those still missing were 20 children buried in the wreckage of a primary school, and as many as 50 people were trapped beneath a collapsed office building that houses the Departments of Commerce and Industry, according to news reports.

“We’re in the process of trying to rescue the students,” Kang Zifu, a local fire department official, told CCTV on Wednesday afternoon. “We’re hurrying to help them.”

He said at least 32 survivors had been pulled from the debris.

The prefecture that includes Yushu is located on the Tibetan plateau, with a population that is more than 96 percent Tibetan and overwhelmingly poor. Many villages sit well above 16,000 feet, with freezing temperatures not uncommon in mid-April. By Wednesday evening, temperatures in the county seat had already dropped to 27 degrees.

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 06:17 AM
link   
I keep feeling slight movements and wobbles here in the UK, only because I sit too much and notice them, no but I do so even when I am London or somewhere distant from where I live.

I have become accurate in sensing these minor jolts and wobbles that maybe a normal person would not feel, and when I feel movements sharper than usual I know an earthquake is on its way somewhere on the news.

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 06:34 AM
link   
Do the Japanese do a world survey of EQ's, it would be interesting to see whether all the magnitudes correlate across say Jap, Brit and the US surveys.

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 04:59 PM
link   
I have looked on the official GBS sites and I am right when I can sense movement, I looked to see where the graphs have the most noise, and it it all centred in the same area, no movements further than Scotland and no movements further than Jersy it seems. So the whole movement is around the Midlands area of the UK where the last earthquake struck. But for some reason it feels like when there is an earthquake else where in the world it effects us here in the UK.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Another over 7 magnitude earthquake, again tsunami warnings over the region of the South Pacific, could it be another anti-climax and just a spread of fear, better to be safe then sorry as they say.

Magnitude 7.5 Earthquake Reported Off Coast of Vanuatu in South Pacific

Published May 27, 2010
| FOXNews.com

Print Email Share Comments Text Size
DEVELOPING: A 7.5 magnitude earthquake has struck the South Pacific island of Vanuatu, the USGS says.
Text

www.foxnews.com... Feed%3A+foxnews%2Fworld+(Text+-+World)

Magnitude 7.2
Date-Time Thursday, May 27, 2010 at 17:14:48 UTC
Friday, May 28, 2010 at 04:14:48 AM at epicenter
Time of Earthquake in other Time Zones

Location 13.710°S, 166.507°E
Depth 36.1 km (22.4 miles)
Region VANUATU
Distances 215 km (135 miles) NNW of Luganville, Espiritu Santo, Vanuatu
340 km (210 miles) SSE of Lata, Santa Cruz Islands, Solomon Isl.
485 km (300 miles) NNW of PORT-VILA, Efate, Vanuatu
2070 km (1290 miles) NE of BRISBANE, Queensland, Australia

Location Uncertainty horizontal +/- 8.6 km (5.3 miles); depth +/- 21.2 km (13.2 miles)
Parameters NST= 69, Nph= 69, Dmin=857.7 km, Rmss=1.26 sec, Gp= 29°,
Source USGS NEIC (WDCS-D)

Event ID us2010wubj

Text

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 01:18 PM
link   
I think this thread is great, since the other one with evry little quake recorded might be ok for those trying to learn where the next quakes will be, is fine for THEM.... but I got tired of checking a thread every time there was a little 3.0 burp that couldn't even be felt!

Thanks.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join