It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

RC Plane enthusiast builds working Mayan Space Shuttle

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 08:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
The "vertical stabilizer" makes no sense aerodynamically, there is no reason for it to be set behind the horizontal stabilizer. While it would work, it is poor aerodynamic design.

Ever seen the Concord?

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/fd84a990b420.jpg[/atsimg]

www.concordesst.com...

Just sayin.

[edit on 12-4-2010 by kinda kurious]

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 09:07 AM
link   
A look at some of the other ancient discoveries, and their implications to this "trinket".

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/cbef2ea04298.jpg[/atsimg]
Aztec Lines

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/6b95ee7b81ce.jpg[/atsimg]
Electric Battery

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/e7752500e605.gif[/atsimg]
Inside Battery

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/6edc74829f59.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/84e08d7475d0.gif[/atsimg]
In flight! The model flies as does the Egyptian one!

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/93c426b96b38.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/59099b243804.jpg[/atsimg]

Egyptian Light bulb

"And it Functions! It Works!" Quote from video.

[edit on 12-4-2010 by Unity_99]

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 09:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Unity_99
A look at some of the other ancient discoveries, and their implications to this "trinket".

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/cbef2ea04298.jpg[/atsimg]
Aztec Lines

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/6b95ee7b81ce.jpg[/atsimg]
Electric Battery

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/e7752500e605.gif[/atsimg]
Inside Battery

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/6edc74829f59.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/84e08d7475d0.gif[/atsimg]
In flight! The model flies as does the Egyptian one!

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/93c426b96b38.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/59099b243804.jpg[/atsimg]

Thx for the info Unity
that was the deltawing trinket i was talking about!

Cheers!

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 09:12 AM
link   
reply to post by zoomer72

Yes, I was exploring the many other mysteries that existed in addition to the "trinket" and may shed some light on whether or not this was meant to represent a flying machine, and it shows that quite possibly a world wide civilization existed. One that is now lost! With ancient cities off the coastlines, and records of cataclysms.

I think it would be very foolish of us, and niave to assume this trinket wasn't based on flight!

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 10:39 AM
link   
However, it would be equally foolish to assume the trinkets were based on flying machines. Science doesn't assume.

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 12:45 PM
link   
I really get tired of punching holes in pet theories--because I have my own--but anyone that knows anything about R/C aircraft knows that you can make anything fly if it has enough propulsion. You Tube has dozens of R/C videos of demonstrating that feature.

I do not discound this guy's premise and I applaud him for making a "working" model. It must have been ful and thrilling. But in reality it proves nothing, but it does give us something more to think about in our relationship between our past and our future.

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 12:51 PM
link   

saw these gold shuttle like objects quite a few years ago on some documentary somewhere, I really can't remember exactly. I do remember the host was discussing how it looked like the space shuttle and they were talking about authenticity, they felt they were legit.

Yes, it's a perfectly legit gold bird, once you turn it up to face the right way...
Often, these things are really taken out of context....

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 11:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aliensun
I really get tired of punching holes in pet theories--because I have my own--but anyone that knows anything about R/C aircraft knows that you can make anything fly if it has enough propulsion. You Tube has dozens of R/C videos of demonstrating that feature.

I do not discound this guy's premise and I applaud him for making a "working" model. It must have been ful and thrilling. But in reality it proves nothing, but it does give us something more to think about in our relationship between our past and our future.

I'd already touched on the idea that with a strong enough engine, you can make a brick fly. While this is true, the interesting thing here is not the fact that Mr. Herbert got his Mayan Space Shuttle to fly, but that he got it to fly well. Check his other videos, and you'll see that he's practically an aerospace genius, and is very discerning when it comes to the flight characteristics of any RC aircraft. If he's impressed with a flying machine's maneuverability, that's saying something, 'cause he's built and flown the very best.

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 11:35 PM
link   
reply to post by RestingInPieces

Why do any of you believe that these "mayan trinkets" are actually Mayan?

They look like something made recently.

Can anyone show me the proof that they are the age of the Mayans, or found in the regions that they inhabited?

Thank you, Resting. I'd never thought to question this trinket as humans will mold things into all manner of creative shapes, so why not this? On the other hand, the history of the crystal skulls suggests that it would be naive to accept the alleged provenance in this case.

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 12:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by flightsuit
BigFatFurryTexan has already pointed out the lack of logic in your statements. I will merely add that nobody's saying the Mayans literally had a Space Shuttle. I never even asserted that they had a plane, or a flying machine of any kind. That they may have had contact with others who possessed and operated flying machines, or had an inherited cultural memory of ancestors who did so, however, is a distinct possibility.

So don't talk to me about Section 8, because when you so carelessly throw insults around, especially when they're unwarranted and your own argument is baseless, all you achieve is that you make yourself look like a jerk in public.

BFFT didn't do anything of the kind. And if you are the author of the video I criticized, my criticism still stands.

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 12:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

Okay the nazca lines were in south america and were not related to the bagdad batteries or the egyptian "lightbulb" picture. People have replicated those nazca lines using no technology without any huge problem.

The bagdad battery could be a battery. It also could be a method of storing paper scrolls. There have never been anything that would use a battery or have wires been found to connect this battery to an appliance. Those battaries found are dated much latter than advertised, some come from about 224-640.

That egytian glyph is a snake comming out of a lotus blossom inside a boat.

These reliefs are cosmological representations. The snake that comes out of the lotus is equated with the shining deity Harsamtawy (Ihy) as he appears for the first time out of the primordial sea. He is again represented near the bottom of the crypt in the form of two snakes also coming forth, but this time wrapped in lotuses like protective envelopes. Sometimes those that were on the Mesktet-barque collaborated with Horus; other times the Mandjet-barque with its crew helped to reveal the god: Djed raises his body, a supreme manner of worship, attendant of the god's prestigious ka. The statuettes appear to have been used for the New Year celebration and the festival of Harsamtawy. It is likely that on these solemn occasions these objects were transported to the vault
-François Daumas

So a lightbulb and a toy (that does not fly as is) is not proof of any ancient astronauts. Like today if everyone dissapeared and people found all of our things 2000 years later. They would find toy cars and they would find real cars they would find toy guns and find real guns. They would find toy x-wings but they would never find any x-wings.

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Shrike

Originally posted by flightsuit
BigFatFurryTexan has already pointed out the lack of logic in your statements. I will merely add that nobody's saying the Mayans literally had a Space Shuttle. I never even asserted that they had a plane, or a flying machine of any kind. That they may have had contact with others who possessed and operated flying machines, or had an inherited cultural memory of ancestors who did so, however, is a distinct possibility.

So don't talk to me about Section 8, because when you so carelessly throw insults around, especially when they're unwarranted and your own argument is baseless, all you achieve is that you make yourself look like a jerk in public.

BFFT didn't do anything of the kind. And if you are the author of the video I criticized, my criticism still stands.

Did you even read any of my posts? It's quite obvious from reading my posts that I am not the creator of that video.

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by zaiger
reply to post by Unity_99

Okay the nazca lines were in south america and were not related to the bagdad batteries or the egyptian "lightbulb" picture. People have replicated those nazca lines using no technology without any huge problem.

The bagdad battery could be a battery. It also could be a method of storing paper scrolls. There have never been anything that would use a battery or have wires been found to connect this battery to an appliance. Those battaries found are dated much latter than advertised, some come from about 224-640.

That egytian glyph is a snake comming out of a lotus blossom inside a boat.

These reliefs are cosmological representations. The snake that comes out of the lotus is equated with the shining deity Harsamtawy (Ihy) as he appears for the first time out of the primordial sea. He is again represented near the bottom of the crypt in the form of two snakes also coming forth, but this time wrapped in lotuses like protective envelopes. Sometimes those that were on the Mesktet-barque collaborated with Horus; other times the Mandjet-barque with its crew helped to reveal the god: Djed raises his body, a supreme manner of worship, attendant of the god's prestigious ka. The statuettes appear to have been used for the New Year celebration and the festival of Harsamtawy. It is likely that on these solemn occasions these objects were transported to the vault
-François Daumas

So a lightbulb and a toy (that does not fly as is) is not proof of any ancient astronauts. Like today if everyone dissapeared and people found all of our things 2000 years later. They would find toy cars and they would find real cars they would find toy guns and find real guns. They would find toy x-wings but they would never find any x-wings.

If the Mayan trinket was a replica of a flying machine owned by a different civilization with whom the Mayans had contact, however, then it would make sense that we haven't found a full-sized Mayan flying machine. This would also make sense if the object was commemorating something the Mayans remembered from their own ancient past. If you place a previous, highly advanced civilization far back enough in time, it's totally plausible that the few artifacts which would survive to this day would not be recognizable as such. Give a computer enough time and it'll break down into a pool of silicon, plastic, and metal.

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by spinalremain

What the heck are those little gold planes anyway? Some mysteries can really keep ya up at night.

I can't view youtube at work, but I can answer this.

The ones you see are stylized renditions of flying fish and, apparently, some sort of skate or stingray.

The ones you don't see (they don't talk about these because they look nothing like planes) are stylized renditions of frogs, birds, insects, jaguars, etc.

Yep, there are literally hundreds of these things.

The only ones they ever show you are the ones y'all are talking about in this thread.

Ask yourself, why would that be?

What "cargo cult" makes a collection of stylized frogs and insects in remembrance of their former gods?

I think if you use the search function, you can find a lot of info on these here at ATS. Byrd posted a whole slew of info and pics, IIRC, a year or two ago (I think it was Byrd.)

Try "Ancient man fly" or some such combination of search terms.

Harte

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Harte

Well that is the problem with many of the "ooparts" the are never compared to other explainable things.

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 05:06 PM
link   
reply to post by flightsuit

"I'd already touched on the idea that with a strong enough engine, you can make a brick fly. While this is true, the interesting thing here is not the fact that Mr. Herbert got his Mayan Space Shuttle to fly, but that he got it to fly well. Check his other videos, and you'll see that he's practically an aerospace genius, and is very discerning when it comes to the flight characteristics of any RC aircraft. If he's impressed with a flying machine's maneuverability, that's saying something, 'cause he's built and flown the very best. "

Ah, Mr. Flightsuit, if you know R/C planes, then you certainly have seen the You Tube video of a trick model that happens to lose one entire wing during its flight and still do amazing acrobatics including landing.

Good model builder, I agree this fellow is. But I leave it at that. carry on with his glorification if you wish, I stop here--more important things, you know.

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by ignorant_ape
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

holly strawman , batman

please go back and read what i actually wrote

you cannot reverse engineer a 3d component from a single photo

i will ask you directly - what is the underside profile ??????????

its a very simple question - the guy in the vid clearly states he used ONE picture - which only shows one aspect of the model

so its clear that he cannot have correctly modelled the bids he cannot see from the picture

its that chuffing simple

Yet, his video stands as testimony that he did, indeed, build a machine that looked very much like the gold piece. I wonder how we could explain that?

I get what you are saying: that he could not have made an exact replica and put it to a flight test. To that i say, "No shiz". So maybe the term "reverse engineer" is an overstatement. Perhaps it should be said that he "took great creative inspiration from the design of the gold piece".

It only seems that you are debating a non-point. No matter what it is that you call what he did, the RC looked very similar to the gold piece, and incorporated several design features.

I would also add that it is ludicrous to expect a piece of ancient gold jewelry to make for an exact copy, down to the finite detail. Even if it was incorporated into the original design, given the softness of gold, how much would have survived the ages?

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 09:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aliensun

Ah, Mr. Flightsuit, if you know R/C planes, then you certainly have seen the You Tube video of a trick model that happens to lose one entire wing during its flight and still do amazing acrobatics including landing.

There's at least one such video circulating that was CGI-manipulated to make it look like a full-sized human pilot got out at the end. It was part of some company's viral video campaign. Quite nicely done.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 06:58 PM
link   
My mom was just watching Ancient Aliens on the History Channel and called me over because they were featuring an RC model that somebody'd built of the Mayan artifact. It was not, however, the model referenced in my OP. The one on the History Channel lacked the peculiar holes found on the leading edges of the wings.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 07:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

I agree with almost everything you have to say, Phage, but the one thing that's bugging me about these things are the tail pieces with that rudder...

And not EVERYTHING can fly, dude. That lawnmower just got lucky!

But seriously, these planes are suspect for something coming out of that time period.

By the way, when you find something that you can NOT explain, do you even try to (explain) or do you just not answer the thread? Just curious, because I have never seen you actually agree with something - just debunk.

Not trying to be a jerk - at all. I respect you a lot and you really seem to know your stuff. I just only see one side to you - that's why I'm asking.

[edit on 4/27/2010 by impaired]

<< 1  2    4 >>

join