It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Current status of Space Elevator?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Hi,

I'd greatly appreciate it if anyone could inform me on the current status of the Space Elevator and how far is it from actually being made? Has the planning and blueprint already been done? Is it all just talk at this point?

Thanks

[edit on 10-4-2010 by la vie]

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 05:32 PM
link   
I just can't see it ever being done (maybe on ratchet & clank) but it just seems to far-fetched.

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 06:21 PM
link   
I'm sure that it has stopped at the idea stage, due to it being extremely costly to make, and the cost of using it would just be completely astronomical. I would rather see the mass driver be implemented instead, but given the cost of that too, may be impractical.

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 06:34 PM
link   
I would also concur that it is nothing more than an engineering wet dream.

It would be awesome, and it has obviously been proven plausible if not entirely possible.

However in this day and age I don't think it would ever be constructed. Not only due to cost/benefit ratio. Think about the risk due to terrestrial weather, planes and even ground hazards like explosions and or attacks. Seems all to vulnerable to move forward with at this time.

I would love to see it happent though.

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 06:39 PM
link   
I think the japanese were thinking of using carbon nanotubes were they not? but as others have pointed out the $$$ is quite substantial...Still that's no excuse, if mankind stopped striving on ways to kill each other and instead focused on reaching the stars, we could achieve alot of things that we now deem unachievable.

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 06:54 PM
link   
The project is still moving forward and there is a great deal of optimism surrounding it. Lots of engineering issues still be sorted out as you could imagine. Early days yet.

Start Here

[edit on 10/4/2010 by amonza]

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 06:56 PM
link   
I think it'll never pan out. They should just put a plank on a pivot and drop an anvil from high up. hehe

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 07:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by la vie
Hi,

I'd greatly appreciate it if anyone could inform me on the current status of the Space Elevator and how far is it from actually being made? Has the planning and blueprint already been done? Is it all just talk at this point?

Thanks

[edit on 10-4-2010 by la vie]

The one material potentially robust enough to withstand the almost inconceivable forces , carbon nano tubes ,is not cost effective yet. A relatively cheap method of spinning out the material to the appropriate length or thickness of the tether will have to be devised.

Other elements of the project have been opened .....
Space Elevator Competition

Using a Space Elevator / Michio Kaku

As others have stated ...... i think it is also just a pipe dream . pun intended

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 07:53 PM
link   
about time real progress but i wonder could this have been tried before i mean remember the biblical story the tower of babel.

en.wikipedia.org...

now fast forward to now

www.youtube.com...

i see some similarities here do you?

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 11:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by gaurdian2012
about time real progress but i wonder could this have been tried before i mean remember the biblical story the tower of babel.

en.wikipedia.org...

now fast forward to now

www.youtube.com...

i see some similarities here do you?

So do you if you believe what you are saying could be true also see that the cause it all went to hell after. As a possible '' alien' force who was afraid we would become a problem in the future because if we work together we are capable of achieving unimaginable things ?

Please feel free to u2u me an answer.

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 01:17 AM
link   
Well, people have been discussing the feasibility of a "space elevator" for at least two generations.

From what I know and have read,it is still "up in the air".

I think they are still trying to "raise" the funds to build it!

join