It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Epicenter Mind Our Tech Business Court Drives FCC Towards Nuclear Option to Regulate Broadband

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 07:52 AM
link   

Epicenter Mind Our Tech Business Court Drives FCC Towards Nuclear Option to Regulate Broadband

www.wired.com

A federal appeals court all but told the FCC Tuesday that it has no power to regulate the internet, putting large chunks of the much-lauded national broadband plan at risk. And the FCC has only itself to blame.

Telecoms and many internet activists have long argued that the internet is a developing technology that was innovating so quickly that strict regulations would hamper it. In 2005, that argument drove the FCC under the Bush Administration to win a fight in the Supreme Court for the right to deregulate broadband providers, classifying them as an “information service,” largely outsi
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 07:52 AM
link   
I just popped another bag of popcorn, things that were already interesting just got more interesting. One thing about this is that the way the FCC can circumvent this ruling shows just how easily manipulated the system is.

It will be very exciting to see how this issue plays out as it has the IT crowd on the edge of their seats and expecting to be screwed either way things go here.

www.wired.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Happyfeet

Hey I was around the IT industry for decades and I don't understand your comment. Seems to me more like the internet/new media/ISP type providers might have some gas about this, but infrastructure and operations continues without a hiccup. Now the IT media having a coniption - oh yeahhh I'm totally on board with that!

gj

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 03:10 PM
link   
reply to post by ganjoa

Yes, I meant the IT crowd was very concerned with how the FCC could bypass laws as that ability can go both ways.

new topics

top topics

join