It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Element 117 discovered

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 03:48 AM
link   

Element 117 discovered

blogs.physicstoday.org

Physics Today: According to sources at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory, element number 117 has been successfully synthesized. The research has been accepted for publication in Physical Review Letters.

There were hints that element 117 was discovered at the recent 31st meeting of the Program Advisory Committee for Nuclear Physics.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 03:48 AM
link   
This is exciting news and just breaking. This is quite an important step forward as those of us in the knew are very interested in seeing if there is an "island of stability" at the heaviest end of the periodic table.

Since this article is breaking there is little info published right now, but this may get much bigger in the press.

blogs.physicstoday.org
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 04:04 AM
link   
Didn't Bob Lazar say something about Element 117? I don't remember if he said that we had it but it was being kept top secret or that we had it but it was given to us by ET's and we were trying to make our own

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 04:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by muse7
Didn't Bob Lazar say something about Element 117? I don't remember if he said that we had it but it was being kept top secret or that we had it but it was given to us by ET's and we were trying to make our own

I was thinking the same thing but then I thought it was element 120 or something higher up like that.

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 04:17 AM
link   
Nope, it was most definitely Element 117.

Edit: Nope, sorry, I'm an idiot. It's Element 115.

[edit on 7-4-2010 by Whine Flu]

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 04:21 AM
link   
Yeah, if the legends are true, then the human race is to embark on a new era of understanding of power generation.

I think we probably need more than 6 atoms with better than a half-life of .01 -40.

Start stockpiling!

[edit on 7-4-2010 by DeltaChaos]

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 04:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Whine Flu

eeehhh, ... Bob Lazar was actualy talking about element 115.

but who knows. The military's definition may differ from mainstream science's definition of " element 115". are new elements simply numbered by the order they were discovered ??

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 04:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Whine Flu

For the propulsion of the studied vehicles, Bob Lazar claims that the atomic element 115 served as a nuclear fuel. Element 115 (nicknamed 'Ununpentium' (Uup)) reportedly provided an energy source which would produce anti-gravity effects under proton bombardment along with the production of antimatter used for energy production. Lazar's website says, as the intense strong nuclear force field of element 115's nucleus would be properly amplified, the resulting effect would be a distortion of the surrounding gravitational field, allowing the vehicle to immediately shorten the distance to a charted destination.[3]

I think you will find it was element 115. On a sidenote anything Bob Lazar says neds to be taken with a grain of salt.

In 2006 Lazar and wife Joy White were charged with violating the Federal Hazardous Substances Act for shipping restricted chemicals across state lines following a federal investigation started in 2003.[7] The charges stemmed from a 2003 raid on Lazar's business where chemical sales records were examined.[7] The maximum penalty is 270 days in prison and a $15,000 fine.[7] Lazar again gained attention that year from news reports that he sold Polonium, the radioactive element that was allegedly employed by Russian agents to fatally poison former Russian spy Alexander Litvinenko.[8] Lazar sincerely believed he could legally sell some of the chemicals after conducting a bit of ultimately misleading internet research.[9]

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 04:44 AM
link   

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 04:49 AM
link   
Very interesting ... here is something on known elements that should settle the questions above:

As of now there are 115 known elements, although those 115 are not in sequence.

Elements 1 to 112, Hydrogen to Ununbium are known, with Ununbium only been discovered in 1996. Elements 114, 116 and 118 have also been discovered more recently, bringing the total to 115 known elements.

Note that Elements 113,115 and 117 have not yet been discovered.

Also note that the elements such as 118(Ununoctium)are very unstable, although Ununoctium technically should be a noble gas and thus stable, it has an incredibly short life and will decay to element 116 in a fraction of a second.

It has been theorized that elements with atomic numbers approaching 125 will be stable at normal conditions and could be used for various industrial purposes.

Link

According to my research Bob Lazar talked about element 115. Still undiscovered ...
Bob Lazar

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 04:51 AM
link   
oops, sorry wrong number

edit to delete post

[edit on 7-4-2010 by boondock-saint]

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 05:10 AM
link   

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 05:24 AM
link   

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 05:54 AM
link