It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Do Atheists Care?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 01:39 PM
link   
The above question has always been on my mind. Yesterday I was reading through the usual atheist and humanist threads about religion. I understand you do not believe in a god and that is fine with me. But why are many of you infatuated with the Bible and Christianity especially? I have yet to see an atheist debunk Islam or Hinduism.

As I can see it, an atheist just does not have any belief in dogma or superstition. That means one should just live their lives and ignore the beliefs of others. If you do not like religious programming, turn the channel. There are many shows that are secular out there. Most of your friends probably know you are an atheist and will respect that. The ones who continue to nag at you are not really friends then, are they.

When you put up your posts here on why you are an atheist or what is wrong with Christianity, you will not change any minds. Trust me on that one. No converts to Paganism for me either. (Although when asked I will explain my views, sometimes.)

I will also get the "I don't want my tax dollars to support religion in any form" responses. Trust me, most of us do not want our tax dollars going to one thing or another that we do not agree with. The fact is we cannot control what the government does with our money at all.

Just something I wanted to ramble about, thank you for reading this and I look forward to your responses.

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Funny you mention that...in my Religions of the World class I took we had this exact discussion and some bright gal came up with the idea...

Why not have two types of Atheism? Christian Atheism and Full Atheism

-shrugs-

I thought it was clever

-Kyo

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 02:18 PM
link   
IMO being on the other side non religious and Godless before the age of 20. It's this simple. (some) atheist attack it as sort of a defense mechanism. If it's true they would have to let God in their heart and stop eventually their sins. But they forget Gods mercy and so they rebel and lash out instead of just not believe.

Not all atheist do this.

Like say if I didn't want to stop sex or lust. i could use a cop out and just attack Jesus with lies or any way possible to push it further away, or just say stuff like. " Since hypocrites exist in the Church, I'll stay athesit "

That's just my experience in dealing with Atheist specially on youtube.

peace op.

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by JesusisTruth

Like say if I didn't want to stop sex or lust. i could use a cop out and just attack Jesus with lies or any way possible to push it further away, or just say stuff like. " Since hypocrites exist in the Church, I'll stay athesit "

What?

What does that even mean...

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 08:17 PM
link   
reply to post by kidflash2008

Religion impacts government and atheists are a part of society so being interested in government means being interested in religion as well. Now maybe if radical christians stopped trying to control government (and respected other belief systems) we'd be less vigilant.

If I send my children to a public school I want them being taught science in a science class not your religion. If I want to have sex with or marry someone of the same gender thats my business and not the business of religions I do not follow, and if I want to use contraception thats my business.. same goes for any medical decisions.

Yet there are christians actively trying to take my LEGAL freedoms away. That has NOTHING to do with atheism or believing in god.. that is trying to protect my own rights and freedoms.

edit. Being judged as immoral just because I'm an atheist irks me as well.

[edit on 5-4-2010 by riley]

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 08:46 PM
link   

IMO being on the other side non religious and Godless before the age of 20. It's this simple. (some) atheist attack it as sort of a defense mechanism. If it's true they would have to let God in their heart and stop eventually their sins. But they forget Gods mercy and so they rebel and lash out instead of just not believe.

So you are judging us as immoral ("sinful") for not believing as YOU do?

You are the one insulting atheists in your posts.. but this "defense mechinism" you speak of is merely a natural response to your own biggotry and bad manners.

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 09:34 PM
link   
LOL Riley no. I myself am immoral too sometimes.

I meant that atheist would have to let Christ in their lives and live a lifestyle according to him.

Because atheist don't believe in sin. stop trying to twist post to make me look like the bad guy. And btw I said not all atheist are like that. I was talking about the ones who blatantly deny because they love sin too much. So they attack.

Blupblup. It meant that I like going to 7/11 on friday nights and order green slurpies
supersize.

pay no attention to that paragraph.

peace.

[edit on 5-4-2010 by JesusisTruth]

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 09:44 PM
link   

LOL Riley no. I myself am immoral too sometimes.

Yet isn't christ suppose to prevent you from sinning?

I meant that atheist would have to let Christ in their lives and live a lifestyle according to him.

Because atheist don't believe in sin. stop trying to twist post to make me look like the bad guy. And btw I said not all atheist are like that. I was talking about the ones who blatantly deny because they love sin too much. So they attack.

You say atheists do not believe in sin.. that is the SAME as saying they do not believe in morality (which is insulting btw). Please do not make charactor judgments on people based on their belief systems. Not only is it unfair but it is claiming false witness which is not only a sin according to christianity but immoral.

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 09:46 PM
link   

I was talking about the ones who blatantly deny because they love sin too much. So they attack.

Jeeeeeez.

The hardcore religious seem to know extremely little about atheists. Pokes and jabs like that make you out to be far more truculent than the atheists you accuse.

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 09:51 PM
link   
Traditional drummer you know little about the atheist i'm talking about.. I can give you tons of examples on youtube alone.

They go on christian sites and curse s*** all in your face and mock God with gay overtones and love it.

They don't want God to be real, which is why I said some atheist. Only those type.

Riley.

Yes Christ is supposed to prevent me from sin, but I'm still not perfect. I'm talking about smaller faults.

No it's not the same as saying they don't believe in morality.

Atheist rule is anything goes as long as you don't hurt noone. They can abortion, masturbate, sex outside marriage, I can go on for another paragraph.

some things are specific to Christ and God in terms of morality.

again. I love the twist game, but comeon. you know what I'm talking about.

peace.

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 09:57 PM
link   

Traditional drummer you know little about the atheist i'm talking about.. I can give you tons of examples on youtube alone.

They go on christian sites and curse s*** all in your face and mock God with gay overtones and love it.

They don't want God to be real, which is why I said some atheist. Only those type.

Those are called trolls.

Atheist rule is anything goes as long as you don't hurt noone. They can abortion, masturbate, sex outside marriage, I can go on for another paragraph.

Yet most atheists are more moral than those who need a god to keep their behavior in check.

Seriously, you should stop developing assumptive stereotypes based on nincompoops that troll your religious webpages.

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 10:06 PM
link   
Yea but they're atheist trolls. And it's not an act. some of those pages are some are not.

"Yet most atheists are more moral than those who need a god to keep their behavior in check. "

LOL.. wth? I need God to breath. But I (keep) my behavior in check because I love him. What you just said is called hypocracy which god himself condemned.

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 10:25 PM
link   

Yea but they're atheist trolls. And it's not an act. some of those pages are some are not.

There are christian trolls too. Fred Phelps, anyone? The difference between you and I is that I won't define all christians by the poor behavior of a few religious rabble rousers.

"Yet most atheists are more moral than those who need a god to keep their behavior in check. "

LOL.. wth? I need God to breath. But I (keep) my behavior in check because I love him. What you just said is called hypocracy which god himself condemned.

If you need a love of a god to control your behavior then you evidently have an inherent immorality as part of your personality. You've revealed part of it with your name calling judgment above. I expect that decent discourse is out of the question at this point. Best of luck to you in your struggles.

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 10:36 PM
link   
" there are christian trolls too '

Ok that's irrelevant. I'm talking about some atheist. I agree christian trolls are bad too.

that's again why I said (some) athesit.

"If you need a love of a god to control your behavior"

Firstly I didn't name call you. That's a lie. comeon. trying to pull a fast one. secondly you say that qoute as if I chose to believe in God because I want my behavior to be wathced?

it makes no sense.

it's irrelevant. I believe in God because I chose to and believe we come from a source, and I love him.

My behavior comes from him. And I don't need anybody to keep me in check. He's our heavenly father. I kept my earthly dads rules because I loved him.

no difference.

You keep your countries rules because you fear jail? Everybody is kept in check by something. Mine is a heavenly father.
again. it's irrelevant because it's like saying me waking up one day and saying.

" Man I might have to believe in God because I need someone to keep me in check "

" strait up..... Instead of having free rules... I'll just believe in God for the sole reason to keep my morals in check "

peace.

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 10:45 PM
link   
OP I'm out... sorry Iv'e posted this much.... I'll let others have a chance to have a say.

peace op.

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 10:49 PM
link   

Traditional drummer didn't say anything against jesus.

Neither did he mock god.. and I'm not sure what you mean by "gay overtones"? are you bashing gays now?

You are just making it up. There is no "type".

Riley.

Yes Christ is supposed to prevent me from sin, but I'm still not perfect. I'm talking about smaller faults.

Remove the plank from your eye. You were talking about hypocrites yet your posts are filled with it.

No it's not the same as saying they don't believe in morality.

Yes it is.. unless you are talking about the sin like eating pork.

Do you eat pork? I'm pretty sure the bible says no to that.

some things are specific to Christ and God in terms of morality.

Someone can be an atheist and be against abortion.. but some christians are okay with abortion (free will thing), masturbation and sex outside marriage. Your problem is you assume too much about what motivates atheists. Fact is YOU DO NOT KNOW what motivates atheists so unless you are claiming to have ESP and god like powers your claims about us are based on biggoted generalisations.

I hope the OP had his question answered now..

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 11:03 PM
link   
Traditional drummer didn't say anything against jesus. "

didn't say he did.

Neither did he mock god.. and I'm not sure what you mean by "gay overtones"? are you bashing gays now? "

Yeap actually I bash them on saturdays with a wooden stick.. No Riley. comeon. you're playing the advocate. God is against gays. But I meant that they say jesus has gay sex and mock in the most preverted ways.

You are just making it up. There is no "type". "

Baloney because I have one in my family and talked to them on youtube. They have told me they love sex too much to convert. that's why I said some atheist.

Remove the plank from your eye. You were talking about hypocrites yet your posts are filled with it."

I love this statement. classic gettum on something they didn't do. I didn't say anything hypocritical. man you guys are classic circular arguers. funny as crap.

Someone can be an atheist and be against abortion "

Yes that;s true. But abortion is not s sin. It's a sin in christianity and futhermore those christians who agree with abortion are hyopcrites.

which means they are in name only.

and OP didn't get his question answered... he will if he goes to youtube and talks to the trolls.

OP, ok seriously I'm done. I'm taking up your OP going back and forth with these guys . I'm sorry. "

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 11:06 PM
link   
^

I
I
I

would you look at that! JIT said he would stop and had to defend himself.

Hypocracy! Gotcha....

did it for you Riley..

lol...

peace.

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 11:40 PM
link   

Traditional drummer didn't say anything against jesus. "

didn't say he did.

My bad.. I misread it and thought you were comparing him to youtube trolls.

Yeap actually I bash them on saturdays with a wooden stick.. No Riley. comeon. you're playing the advocate. God is against gays. But I meant that they say jesus has gay sex and mock in the most preverted ways.

The only demographic youtube trolls represent is youtube trolls.

Someone can be an atheist and be against abortion "

Yes that;s true. But abortion is not s sin. It's a sin in christianity and futhermore those christians who agree with abortion are hyopcrites.

which means they are in name only.

Actually those who are FOR forcing a woman to carry a pregnancy she does not want could be considered unchristian as christianity is based on free will.

Are you against women having free will?

besides which:

theopolitics.com...
The absolute ban on abortion is relatively new in Catholic history. Prior to 1869, when demographic alarms were raised, the Church accepted abortion until "quickening," or prior to "ensoulment." Abortion in early pregnancy was not regarded murder. Jesuit scholar John Connery (who takes the most conservative position on abortion) wrote: "If anyone expects to find an explicit condemnation of abortion in the New Testament, he will be disappointed. The silence of the New Testament regarding abortion surpasses even that of the Old Testament." Most Biblical scholars agree with Baptist theologian Paul D. Simmons that there is no clear biblical prohibition against abortion, though abortion was common when the Jewish and Christian scriptures were written.

Who are you to decide it's not christian if christ doesn't even mention it? You say that they are christians in name only which means you are making a judgment on them which is against christ's teachings.

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 06:08 AM
link   
reply to post by kidflash2008

Logic suggests that since the bulk of religious people in New Zealand are Christian that such discussions will be about that religion .

Cheers xpert11.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join