It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama's 17-minute, 2,500-word response to woman's claim of being 'over-taxed'

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 02:39 AM
link   

Obama's 17-minute, 2,500-word response to woman's claim of being 'over-taxed'

voices.washingtonpost.com

CHARLOTTE - Even by President Obama's loquacious standards, an answer he gave here on health care Friday was a doozy.

Toward the end of a question-and-answer session with workers at an advanced battery technology manufacturer, a woman named Doris stood to ask the president whether it was a "wise decision to add more taxes to us with the health care" package.

"We are over-taxed as it is," Doris said bluntly.

Obama started out feisty. "Well, let's talk about that
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 02:39 AM
link   

He then spent the next 17 minutes and 12 seconds lulling the crowd into a daze. His discursive answer - more than 2,500 words long -- wandered from topic to topic, including commentary on the deficit, pay-as-you-go rules passed by Congress, Congressional Budget Office reports on Medicare waste, COBRA coverage, the Recovery Act and Federal Medical Assistance Percentages

OMG!

It was not evident that he changed any minds at Friday's event. The audience sat politely, but people in the back of the room began to wander off.

Even Obama seemed to recognize that he had gone on too long. He apologized -- in keeping with the spirit of the moment, not once, but twice. "Boy, that was a long answer. I'm sorry," he said, drawing nervous laughter that sounded somewhat like relief as he wrapped up.

But, he said: "I hope I answered your question."

Even Obama is becoming aware that he and his Health Care Bill is a big PIA for most Americans and that is good.

Finally reality has set in!

voices.washingtonpost.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 02:41 AM
link   
reply to post by plumranch

Imagine that. He only took 17 minutes to try to explain to an obviously ignorant woman, one of the most complex and poorly-understood facets of our government.

People spend years learning what all that stuff means, and she got it in 17 minutes.

Tragedy is, you know it all went in one ear and out the other, since she probably didn't want an answer anyway.

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 02:44 AM
link   
Good for Obama.

Finally a decent guy who will sit there and explain....

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 02:48 AM
link   
Obviously he got caught off guard right there. It would be hard to explain things in that bill since probably one person in the entire world has actually read it. I would bet he went and cussed out the person who filters the questions for him and let this one get by. After that speech, he probably should have let Biden answer, at least it would have been entertaining.

+15 more 
posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 02:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheWalkingFox

Imagine that. He only took 17 minutes to try to explain to an obviously ignorant woman, one of the most complex and poorly-understood facets of our government.

People spend years learning what all that stuff means, and she got it in 17 minutes.

Tragedy is, you know it all went in one ear and out the other, since she probably didn't want an answer anyway.

Do you ever feel like that you are a appeaser? I ask because it seems you will cover for every action and blame anyone else other than your guy. It shows weakness and for you to pretend that you have any idea what this woman thinks is pure appeasing arrogance on your part.

To tell you the truth I am getting sick and tired of the shills on ATS that want nothing more than to pick a fight or play the blame game. You rarely make points and when you are cornered attack with simple minded comebacks.

I am wondering if could prove me wrong please explain why she would not want a answer to the very question she asked. What was it exactly that made you think this. I bet you cant answer without making wild assumptions. But by all means please try.

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 02:55 AM
link   
reply to post by TheWalkingFox

The article disagrees with the Fox on this, Obama convinced no one and in fact bored the listeners:

It was not evident that he changed any minds at Friday's event. The audience sat politely, but people in the back of the room began to wander off.

Even Obama seemed to recognize that he had gone on too long. He apologized -- in keeping with the spirit of the moment, not once, but twice. "Boy, that was a long answer. I'm sorry," he said, drawing nervous laughter that sounded somewhat like relief as he wrapped up.

But, he said: "I hope I answered your question."

Opps, edit to add...

[edit on 4/4/10 by plumranch]

+1 more 
posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 02:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by mr-lizard
Good for Obama.

Finally a decent guy who will sit there and explain....

Hmm is there any differance between someone telling you they are going to bend you over and have their way with you and the person who just does it. I think by adding the small talk it just adds insult to injury. But I guess some people need that foreplay to be able to come to terms worth what is going to happen.

I hate to tell you guys but your idyllic dream world is just that a dream this administration is not different form the last and the next one will also be the same. Its just the group they target to carry the flame that changes. they stay the same. Words to the wise.

[edit on 4-4-2010 by Subjective Truth]

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 03:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Subjective Truth

Do you ever feel like that you are a appeaser? I ask because it seems you will cover for every action and blame anyone else other than your guy. It shows weakness and for you to pretend that you have any idea what this woman thinks is pure appeasing arrogance on your part.

To tell you the truth I am getting sick and tired of the shills on ATS that want nothing more than to pick a fight or play the blame game. You rarely make points and when you are cornered attack with simple minded comebacks.

Do you ever feel like a hypocrite?

I am wondering if could prove me wrong please explain why she would not want a answer to the very question she asked. What was it exactly that made you think this. I bet you cant answer without making wild assumptions. But by all means please try.

Well, when someone shouts at the man, "Where's your birth certificate?!" do you think they're angling to try to get an answer? No. They're making an accusation and softballing it by putting a question mark at the end.

"More taxes to us, we're overtaxed as it is!" - first, who are "we"? What is her definition of "overtaxed" and how much tax is "just right"? Her question is wholly subjective, odds are it's not actually based in fact (I could be wrong, maybe she actually is in a bracket getting a tax hike. Maybe I'm a Corsican prince.) Her question basically is a vehicle to accuse Obama of "overtaxing us"

If you ever take a break from being a hypocrite, maybe we can discuss the nuances of language in political discourse. It's actually a pretty interesting topic.

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 03:04 AM
link   
If his answer was too short, there would be claims that he was being evasive or obscure. It's a lose-lose situation either way.

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 03:06 AM
link   

Because taxes are boring. Really, what's your point? people wandered off from a boring part at the end of a speech? Oh heavens to betsy, it's Obama's Hindenburg!

I like the guy. I voted for him. And I would do it again. And I'm certain I would nod off or wander out to take a leak if he started taking nearly 20 minutes to explain taxes. He's just not quite that interesting.

Now, if he could get Elizabeth Kucinich to tell me about taxes, I would give the subject the attention it deserves

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 03:08 AM
link   

+1 more 
posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 03:13 AM
link   

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 03:19 AM
link   
Few people match Obama in talking so much and saying so little. Maybe his teleprompter was on the blink and all he could do is ramble aimlessly without his talking points being displayed to him.

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 03:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Subjective Truth

Do you ever feel like a hypocrite?

Well, when someone shouts at the man, "Where's your birth certificate?!" do you think they're angling to try to get an answer? No. They're making an accusation and softballing it by putting a question mark at the end.

"More taxes to us, we're overtaxed as it is!" - first, who are "we"? What is her definition of "overtaxed" and how much tax is "just right"? Her question is wholly subjective, odds are it's not actually based in fact (I could be wrong, maybe she actually is in a bracket getting a tax hike. Maybe I'm a Corsican prince.) Her question basically is a vehicle to accuse Obama of "overtaxing us"

If you ever take a break from being a hypocrite, maybe we can discuss the nuances of language in political discourse. It's actually a pretty interesting topic.

Why not just face the simple truth that you have no idea what her intentions were. Your first post was about trolling. And then when cornered you say well look at her tone. You have to be kidding me right. Do you really look at the world like this pretending to know what people think. Your agenda has clouded you vision of things and it has made you resort to trolling to win a fight. You can not win with issues so why not make wild accusations and back them up with nothing. You are what is wrong with ATS. I am sorry but you do not believe in arguing the issues you only want to inflict pain on the other side.

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 03:24 AM
link   
So a 17 minute overview of the legislation that he has initiated and then signed into law since the inauguration was an answer. To give credit where credit is due, I rate that slightly higher than receiving a form letter of talking points as a response to a detailed suggested course of action that I wrote to Rep. Boehner.

Granted the question was too nonspecific in order to receive the proper answer, but then again the specific question would have been insulting. So either way, the question was not going to be answered.

I see why some cheer the man on. But then again, I see why pro-wrestling has entertainment value to many as well. As a former actor, I can appreciate quality acting performance. Simulated fighting is but one aspect of acting.

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 03:24 AM
link   

Because taxes are boring. Really, what's your point? people wandered off from a boring part at the end of a speech? Oh heavens to betsy, it's Obama's Hindenburg!

I like the guy. I voted for him. And I would do it again. And I'm certain I would nod off or wander out to take a leak if he started taking nearly 20 minutes to explain taxes. He's just not quite that interesting.

Now, if he could get Elizabeth Kucinich to tell me about taxes, I would give the subject the attention it deserves

The point is he will not address simple question. He always tries to spin everything so you have no idea were he is coming from so that later on he can say that is not what he meant. This is called spinning the truth. I doubt he even believes what he says half the time.

When will you guys see he is exactly the same as Bush. He loves war and taxes and could care less about the middle class or unemployment. Benefits run out on the 5th why is he not talking about this? I would say it is the biggest issues right now other than the economy.

Also flag for the OP you sure did bring out the trolls with this one.

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 03:25 AM
link   

Im sorry but where exactly have you been over taxed? Income taxes have been at their lowest since Reagan. Where? I ask.

Its all about throwing everything and anything. If Obama answered the question in under a minute, his ignorant! Didnt explain himself! He takes the time to explain it as best he can and now his taking too long! Nevermind the fact disgruntled conservatives now actually have an opportunity to address Obamas answer word for word, nope, they are unable to!

So they shoot how long he takes. Instead of addressing the bill itself, the bill is 'too long!'. Instead of addressing Obama, his answer is 'too long!'. Instead of countering his policies with relative arguments, 'his using a teleprompter!'. Its absolutely pathetic and it shows you how personal people have it in for this man. At the end of the day you realize how little this has to do with the constitution or policy in general.

The most interesting thing about this is that if you type the exact title of the thread on google, you start seeing a long list of rightwing websites going on about it. This is just the result of the rightwing echochamber here. People are unable to be objective themselves.

[edit on 4-4-2010 by Southern Guardian]

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 03:26 AM
link   
reply to post by RestingInPieces

I actually found it hilarious....

moving on to the thread...
As for the discourse going on here I thought I would pull up a chair and listen in...

Shall I match tactic for tactic... I could off course go and ask a few questions....

The certificate thing??? An interesting use of diversion tactic... Connecting a past disagreement with a person to a present issue... Beautiful

I would still like an answer on that though.. Whats the issue that is part of a past thing with it.. To rephrase it what is the old issue... I mean he is president. The birth certificate is legal right???

As for the tactic of breaking down someone whole conversation and applying analysis, to prove a lack of intelligence. I mean another round of applause to such an obvious discrediting tactic. "The she isnt qualified to ask the question of her legal representation" I mean if she isnt qualified to ask does this mean she qualifies for a stupid exception to paying the taxes?

I applaud your efforts. Your right only those who are smart enough should be able to vote. I agree we should limit the franchise. If it just wasnt that pesky old out of date document...

Listen, for better or worse she had right to ask. In this market being able to hold a job is a skill.

We must consider the fact that we are all in the same boat. I am trying to save you a hard lesson. Those people your looking down on are good people. They dont deserve to have large parts of their income spent for them. If I remember my history correctly didnt this argument start a fight a while somewhere....

Let me ask you two naysayers a question.

Humbly out of curiosity, where is the point you would say enough is enough. Everyone has a line in the sand may I inquire where yours is. I will not jump on it. I want to know for our future disagreements. So we a reference point.

In way Id like to know when you would holler whoa doggie thats to far...

[edit on 4-4-2010 by ripcontrol]

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 03:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Southern Guardian

Im sorry but where exactly have you been over taxed? Income taxes have been at their lowest since Reagan. Where? I ask.

Its all about throwing everything and anything. If Obama answered the question in under a minute, his ignorant! Didnt explain himself! He takes the time to explain it as best he can and now his taking too long! Nevermind the fact disgruntled conservatives now actually have an opportunity to address Obamas answer word for word, nope, they are unable to!

So they shoot how long he takes. Instead of addressing the bill itself, the bill is 'too long!'. Instead of addressing Obama, his answer is 'too long!'. Instead of countering his policies with relative arguments, 'his using a teleprompter!'. Its absolutely pathetic and it shows you how personal people have it in for this man. At the end of the day you realize how little this has to do with the constitution or policy in general.

The most interesting thing about this is that if you type the exact title of the thread on google, you start seeing a long list of rightwing websites going on about it. This is just the result of the rightwing echochamber here. People are unable to be objective themselves.

[edit on 4-4-2010 by Southern Guardian]

Is income tax the only tax we pay in America?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join