It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How long would a global effort by all of Humanity to build a spaceship like ENTERPRISE take?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 11:58 PM
link   
If it could be built as fast as a super Wal-mart, id say 5 and 1/2 weeks...

[edit on 6-4-2010 by nvprose1]

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 12:31 AM
link   
I don't mean to rain on anyone's parade here but.. if i'm not mistaken aren't Russia soon to be the only spacebound country? Or has Sky News got it wrong again xD

The cost would be astronomical, the time would take so long.. but the most impossible part.. Having all major superpowers focussed on one major endeavour like this. It'd take something huge to unite powers like that.

Just ideas, i'll be honest i Hope i'm wrong.. but I don't think i am

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 04:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by spikey
reply to post by one4all

Liking the thought.

Not long at all is my opinion.

Assuming we can get rid of personal interest, money and religion.

EDIT to add..we'd obviously have to execute everyone that said the word 'impossible' too. (you were talking feasibility, and not moralistically weren't you?)

If the whole planet pooled it's intellect, resources and so on, probably no more than five years...a fleet of thousands would come soon after.

[edit on 3/4/2010 by spikey]

[edit on 3/4/2010 by spikey]

This is a rather trite and silly statement when you think that a Catholic Christian had the vision for space travel and a Christian country is to date the only country on the planet to venture beyond LEO with human occupants.
That is if you actually think the US went to the MOON. LOL

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 04:12 AM
link   
reply to post by MaxBlack

If all this stuff you talk about is true, how do you know it is ? If it is secret did you sneak into the illuminate's filing cabinets with your spy camera?
Can you show us some of the blueprints?
I would like to see the ones for the teleporter of the wormhole machine. Can they do time travel TOO??
When you get to alpha centauri will your cell phone still work?

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 04:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by aaa2500
With the current space launch systems it would take many decades and be ready for the scrapyard at the end of the building process.

A 200000 ton 300 metres long spaceship built from modules no more than 18x4.5x3.5 metres, hauled on a spaceshuttle that carries no more than 25 tons.

With russian rockets it get's better 2 to 3 times the cargo capacity, but it would still take decades.

EDIT:What is needed is a production facility in space, and I don't mean a space dock. I mean a plant with automated rolling cluster, metalworking systems and storage space for steel blooms, slabs and finished parts.

If that was in place, then the parts of the spaceship would not be constrained by the delivery system and the delivery system would just need to haul steel blooms or the occasional electronics into space.

[edit on 3-4-2010 by aaa2500]

That would be the moon. WTF went wrong there?

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 04:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by one4all
Is it possible to create a material with a nao-weave that causes it to tighten or stiffen and possibly change composition in stages to accomplish this?Like armor that becomes stronger by pirating the energy of the projectile to initiate a chemical or physical change in the armor itself resulting in a stronger barrier and a conversion of damaging energy into protective energy?Any materials or whatever type of engineer may know if this is currently possibe or if it is on the table.

How about we say 240 batteries of rail guns and I will google George Bulls payload specs and we will triple them considering technological advances since he was murdered for his contributions to humanity,he knew his idea had to be brought into the mainstream but was forced by the powers that be to bring it out as a military application and when they realised the potential to launch cheaply into orbit they murdered him to stop him from spreading the technology.

Anyone know how much of a liftoff advantage would be gained by being far undergroung as opposed to using buoancy or the water as lift or pirated energy ?Pros and cons of both possibly,just ballpark numbers.

How about launching materials to grow or to manufacture nano-materials in space?Maybe steel blooms only at the beginning.

Any predictions of how technology "might"improve as we are building say over ten years--I mean some guesses on materials currently being researched and other energy concepts now in the R and D stage.

Go to Bing and enter--George bull cannon space payload weight--read the first site titled Gun Launch,read the first couple pages I dont know how to make a link ,if you do there is a wealth of info there ,including underwater related topics.

Sounds absolutely feasable .
[edit on 5-4-2010 by one4all]

[edit on 5-4-2010 by one4all]

All your ideas have promise in some respects but consider this----
If man could go to the moon. Which he must be unable to do. Because if he could he would have spent the last fifty years just shooting small payloads of fuel and building materials up there.
And when the technology is evolved to get men there to assemble the stuff--- Wa la Starship Enterprize.
We should be able to do it with robots. NASA is a scam.

[edit on 6-4-2010 by Donny 4 million]

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 04:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Longy4eva
I don't mean to rain on anyone's parade here but.. if i'm not mistaken aren't Russia soon to be the only spacebound country? Or has Sky News got it wrong again xD

The cost would be astronomical, the time would take so long.. but the most impossible part.. Having all major superpowers focussed on one major endeavour like this. It'd take something huge to unite powers like that.

Just ideas, i'll be honest i Hope i'm wrong.. but I don't think i am

Ugh, is the Universe big enough???

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 05:37 AM
link   
If we used"current" technology available to to the masses and compared to getting to the moon on the 60"s which took no a long time, I would say we already have. But not until 2025.

It is normal that MilTech is 50 years ahead of us "publicly".

Watch StarGate, thats pretty close

HADES

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 10:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Donny 4 million

Exactly my point
it would be a global 'this town ain't big enough for the both of us' situation.

line 3

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 09:19 PM
link   
Imagine for a second that whatever "space"is REALLY COMPOSED OF is like WATER and we have been dogpaddling through the ocean,now visualise the torpedo that uses a capsule of gas or supercavitates or 'whatever'to travel at a super high speed through the water.

We dont change the composition of the torpedo,we change the composition of the physical state around our torpedo to enable us to defy traditional physics,THIS IS HOW WE TRAVEL IN SPACE,we do the same thing,we just dont have the complete truth about space right now.

Remember we dont put a thousand engines in the torpedo to achieve this ability to travel through the water faster,as WE DONT NEED A THOUSAND ENGINES TO TRAVEL THROUGH THE FABRIC OF SPACE FASTER,we simply need to create a method to defeat conventional physics.As we did with the torpedo,the concept and principal are universal,we just require the data on the "fabric"of space,we need to know more.then apply our technology in space.

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 11:22 PM
link   
MaxBlack is setting me all a tingle. Salacious.

How do they keep people's biological batteries charged? How do you keep someone's internal compass from driving them mad? How do biological rhythms respond? What happens to a woman's fertility cycle? How does one evaluate which stars to aim for? How do you prevent someone from going mad if they end up in a stellar system that gives off the right combination and makes people's brains go wonky? How do they get back? How many have been lost? How do they deal with objects and particulates during "flight" and particularly at close to luminary speeds? Shielding? Warping space? How does it collect data? Is data being kept on board, or is it being transmitted? If it is being transmitted, why? Is the transmission faster?

Hm.....I can think of more but that'll do for now.

[edit on 2010/4/8 by Aeons]

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 12:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bedlam
The little insystem triangles have von Neumann-Einstein drives, the bigger ones with interstellar capability use Mach drives.
vE drives could go superluminal if they could fix the godawful control instability problems. Not that they're likely to. But it would be less expensive than a Mach drive, which is a big Swiss watch sort of thing in terms of complexity. Horribly expensive.

Originally posted by hippomchippo
Where'd you get this info from?
Are you a secret CIA spy who went rogue and now wants to free the world from their evil secrets?

ATS the Role Playing Game…
Players Handbook page 375, under vehicles used by Guberment Agents and Debunkers…

I think that I am eligible to get one when I hit level 60…

Ps...Good stuff in there about how to role play an alien on the site as well.

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 12:44 AM
link   
Aeons,in the small craft there is a kind of "own gravity"associated with the thing,for long range travel on large ships you are immersed in a gel like liquid,you can breath in it,eat,it and see in it.From the big ships you have to drink a liquid before you can be transported to the ground or your house in the beam they use,and to abduct you they use a race of small wrinkly skinned robed humans that naturally has a physical ability to travel in the beam and physically carry you up in the beam.

Technology can solve every problem we can conjure up because there is no end to our creative ability to mimic nature and to continue to unfold our great adventure BECAUSE WE ALL CUMULATIVELY CREATE OUR OWN REALITY THROUGH A GROUP CONSENSUS OR PERSPECTIVE WHICH PREDICATES OUR DIRECTIONAL FOCUS ---WHICH IS OUR FUTURE OR OUR REALITY,WE CREATE IT AS WE GO,IT CAN CHANGE IN ANY INFINATE NUMBER OF WAYS AT ANY TIME BECAUSE WE ALL CAN HAVE AN EQUAL AND IMMEDIATE IMPACT BY SIMPLY BEING HERE OR EXISTING.

There are other races of humans who also have cumulative realities unfolding paralell to our own,and we sometimes iinteract.

The more we interact the more we can become a blended reality and include each other,we grow always,like the universe,by blending things.

[edit on 13-4-2010 by one4all]

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 09:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by MaxBlack
There was a time when I too thought that we could build a spaceship so huge that we could save many humans from extinction. Then as things would have it, I found out that we don't need to build Star ships to save humanity. All we have to do is make public the secret technology that allows for instant teleportation to distant planets and other galaxies or universes.

A secret technology that combines wormhole creation with Star-gate portals that allow for moment throughout the universe and distant planets with no need for all the Enterprise type ships that go forth to go where no one has gone before. Those that have the secret technology have been using it for decades to populate off world colonies. Since it is currently used to move between planets and star systems, it is this technology that could save mankind from extinction.

It is this technology that renders world population control and all human population concerns null and void. With our ability to populate distant planets with small populations, we could save all of planet Earth should it become known that Earth was to be hit with an E.L.E. Anyway, building large space ships could still be built, but because of the lengthy time, money and materials needed to construct such a ship, it makes more sense to use the secret technology the elite will use to save themselves before the SHTF.

We only have to make them give it up because anyone who thinks that Obama is going to willingly reveal such secret technology is brain dead at best. A zombie at worst.

Thanks for the posting.

Now all we need is Samantha Carter, Rodney McKay & Hermiod to step up to the plate & build it for us!

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 09:36 AM
link   
reply to post by one4all

Using the current worlds resources and everyone working together like FAMILY I would say 1 to 2 years max.

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 10:18 AM
link   
It would take until the next cycle of civilization advances further than we currently are. This time frame is incalculable, but I'll give a guess of between 150-2500 years.

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by FredT
The closes we have come is the Notational Project Orion which would have used nuclear explosions in space to propell a craft. 3.3% the speed of light was to have been the max speed. or so i have been told.

I love the orion project.
I wonder if they made and launched any in secret back in the day..

I made a thread about it,with a link to a great flicker photo set,which shows the designs of the awesome craft:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Assuming a space dock was to be constructed in orbit. That it was more viable to mine nearby asteroids for some of the needed materials.

What real-life mining methods could be used on the asteroid (ranging from the quickest & cheapest to the most efficient)?

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 12:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Silcone Synapse

plasma rockets.

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 02:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Aeons

yes. most sensible thing said on this thread. We are not ready for warp drive. We are ready for practical intra solar system travel. A worldwide collaborative project or even a concerted national development project (us, russia, eu, china, india) could rapidly develop VASIMR rockets giving us practical human access to our solar system.

www.adastrarocket.com

Benefits - explore; master the techniques to avoid our extinction at the hands of a big fast moving rock.

Its doable now. All thats lacking is the will.

As long as we reject fission reactors in space, we invite our extinction. In the real world the movie Armageddon would end with the asteroid hitting us while the design of the ships would still be crawling towards design freeze......

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join