It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Which was the best aircraft in WWII

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2004 @ 11:30 AM
link   
I also love the ME-262 and they are still being made today.

posted on Jun, 12 2004 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Amet Khan
DC-3 / C-47 / Dakota / Li-2

it won the war.
The Japanese also produced a version under license during the war.

posted on Jun, 12 2004 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Here I am inserting a shameless plug for my WW2 Warbird artwork. I am currently working on more pics with the B-26's and some Focke Wulfe 190 D9's. Also on some naval engagements with U-boats.

posted on Jun, 12 2004 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Groingrinder, I love the Lancaster one, 'tough night at the office' very astute of you to make it different by portraying the lesser known Hercules powered Mk II version. Very nice.

Here's a thought, if you have the time and inclination I'd be fascinated to see a fantasy pic of RAF Miles M.52'S intercepting Junkers EF.132's over London.

[edit on 12-6-2004 by waynos]

posted on Jun, 12 2004 @ 07:41 PM
link   
I love the Mustang.

After the Battle of Britain the UK goverment needed a small manoverable fighter to supplement the Spitfire and Hurricane squadrons. So with a deal with the US goverment and US contractor the Mustang was born.

The development of this aircraft was the fastest in aviation history, the prototype was designed built and flown within a year.

Churchill was so impressed with the new aircraft he named it 'Mustang' in honour of the UK's US allies.

In the field the mustange was an excellent fighter but the Allison engine proved to be unreliable, so the UK built version was with the new Rolls Royce Merlin engine the famouse powerplant which gave the Spitfire its distinctive growl and now so the P51 Mustang. The canopy was cramped so the brits replaced it with a US/UK developed bubble canopy and the distinctive 'D' varient was born. The US was so impressed with the improvements that it became the primary fighter of the US Forces of WW2.

[edit on 12-6-2004 by rustiswordz]

posted on Jun, 12 2004 @ 10:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by waynos
Groingrinder, I love the Lancaster one, 'tough night at the office' very astute of you to make it different by portraying the lesser known Hercules powered Mk II version. Very nice.

Here's a thought, if you have the time and inclination I'd be fascinated to see a fantasy pic of RAF Miles M.52'S intercepting Junkers EF.132's over London.

[edit on 12-6-2004 by waynos]

Thanks waynos. I will have to see if plans of these planes are available somewhere online.

posted on Jun, 13 2004 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Cool groingrinder.

Additionally, about the P-51. The British Govt wanted North American to build the P-40 for the RAF but the blokes at NA thought they could do better. They were right. In order to get around the cramped canopy of the earliest ones the opening part of the canopy was replaced with the British Malcolm sliding hood, as used on the Spitfire, NA came up with a permanent fix on the P-51D by introducing a bubble canopy, as was being done on several US and UK fighters by this time, even the Spitfire.

[edit] the coincidence of the Allison engine and the Malcolm hood just struck me, but I guess only the Brits knmow who Malcolm Allison was

[edit on 13-6-2004 by waynos]

posted on Jun, 13 2004 @ 02:50 PM
link   
My favorite is the Me-262 because it's the first plane to use a reactor

the allies copied it to make the Gloster Meteor
and they also copied all the rocket technology

posted on Jun, 14 2004 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarkSide
My favorite is the Me-262 because it's the first plane to use a reactor

the allies copied it to make the Gloster Meteor

You wind up merchant you, I'm not biting!

Right about rockets though.

posted on Jun, 14 2004 @ 02:47 PM
link   
The HO 229 couldn't be hit by AA fire, it flew too high, at 52000ft, no weaponry could get that high, let alone accurately. The 2000mi. range was just one way, meaning, it could make it to the Eastern US, drop it's payload, of which could have been atomic had Germany succeeded in getting to it first, and then coast most the way back to France, using it's engines only as emergency boosts. The flying wing design made it aerodynamically outstanding, and able to be the most efficient powered glider of it's time.

posted on May, 19 2023 @ 10:19 AM
link   
Although this thread is almost 20 years old, aviation writer David Mondey rates the Macchi C.202 Folgore ("thunderbolt") as the best Italian fighter plane of World War II.

Mondey, D., 2006. The Hamlyn Concise Guide to Axis Aircraft of World War II. London: Bounty Books. ISBN 0-7537-1460-4.

posted on May, 19 2023 @ 10:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: machinegunjordan
the mustang was garbage so was the spitfire garbage garbage garbage

LOL!

Talk about "garbage"!!!!!

posted on May, 19 2023 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Spitfire and Mustang for me.

But I always liked the Typhoon, too.

posted on May, 19 2023 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Best light figher: Japanese Zero
best heavy figher: Grumman F4 Wildcat
Best one-engine ground attack: Soviet Sturmovik
Best multiengine ground attack; Kenney's modified B-25s out of Australia. Decimated a Japanese convoy @ Bismarck Sea.
Best light bomber: Savoia-Marchetti Sparrowhawk (Italy)
Best heavy bomber: US B-29
Best multipurpose: B24 Liberator. Heavy bomber, maritime patrol, transport, antisub, electronic warfare, special missions...

imho
edit on 01032020 by ElGoobero because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2023 @ 11:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: hhensley84
The HO 229 couldn't be hit by AA fire, it flew too high, at 52000ft, no weaponry could get that high, let alone accurately. The 2000mi. range was just one way, meaning, it could make it to the Eastern US, drop it's payload, of which could have been atomic had Germany succeeded in getting to it first, and then coast most the way back to France, using it's engines only as emergency boosts. The flying wing design made it aerodynamically outstanding, and able to be the most efficient powered glider of it's time.

It's so unbelievable what Germany did in just a few years of war when you think about it.
And after ww2 the US advanced quickly with the help of 1,600 German scientists, engineers, and technicians which where taken from former Nazi Germany.

edit on 19-5-2023 by Pluginn because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2023 @ 11:14 AM
link   
a reply to: ElGoobero

Let's not forget the Mosquito either.

posted on May, 19 2023 @ 11:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Pluginn

So did the Soviets, mind.

posted on May, 19 2023 @ 11:28 AM
link   
youtu.be...
edit on 19-5-2023 by bounder because: (no reason given)

Youtube embed used to work?????????
edit on 19-5-2023 by bounder because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2023 @ 12:34 PM
link   
a reply to: bounder

Yes! Yes!

My fave band.

Saw them loads of times. First time in the late seventies. Magnum supported them.

"Prince of turbojets", indeed.

posted on May, 19 2023 @ 12:34 PM
link   

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join